IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks.._________I think
{sigh} There won't ever again be a no-brainer choice in this bizarre 'field', I'm beginning to notice.

And the Blackcomb threat? promise? (especially with the added fillip of Bugging the shit out of Larry Ellison! -- surely a major preoccupation in the middle-aged Billy-mind?). All this stuff now in abeyance - pending our all finding out if .. .. Judge K-K is a wimp, too [??] Amazing set of dominoes being positioned.

As Tom suggests - it is a personal preference thingie - re the UI. And maybe ignorance is bliss, for one unaccustomed to previous Mac UI variants. Probably best (for me) that I never experienced the Next Step environment, which appears to be right up there with OS/2 Workplace Shell.. in the kudos list.

On my list: go visit local Apple dealer reel soon. Will post my incompetent first impressions for your amusement and guffaws :-\ufffd

Hell.. it'll be 'New' anyway! but a Kia or a Bugatti .?.

Ashton
New Bugatti looks with Kia performance.
BTW is it just me or has everyone else made the association that KIA = Killed In Action?

Oh, and I mean a nice Bugatti, not one of those interesting prototypes.

OS X, or more specifically Aqua, has a huge 'Ooh' and 'Aah' factor because it does indeed look fab compared to anything else.

I believe it's quite wonderful to work with on G4 machines, but on my 500MHZ iBook (G3), I wouldn't accuse it of outperform Phar Lap. Heck, at times I wouldn't accuse it of outperforming Fatso the Wombat. However, it's primarily because I'm trying to do too much in 192 Mb of RAM.

Despite its occasional bouts of wombattedness, it's still very much a pleasure to use.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New More than just "Eye Candy"
Aqua is nice, but what else can it do that other OSes can't?

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New It's a Mac.
I know that doesn't answer the question though. I guess my fondness for OS X is part practical, part principal. A very big plus for me is that it isn't (very) Microsoft. Another plus is the good tie-in between the hardware and the software. Like, regardless how many driver updates and things I've done, my PC still has its times where it flatly refuses to wake from sleep, things like that.

On and on and on and on,
New It's an Amiga
The same argument can be used for the Amiga, which ironically, is still being sold. AmigaOS 3.9 is the latest OS release and 4.0 isn't that far away.

It isn't made by Microsoft, and it isn't Windows. It has a nice GUI, and a stable OS. The Amiga One/AmigaDE is migration to the PowerPC platform.

It can run PC programs via emulators if need be, just like a Macintosh.

it doesn't have any big egos behind it, like Apple has Jobs, but it is a nice little system that could.

I still do not see a reason why I should switch to OSX, but I would like to try it someday and see what all the fuss is about.

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New I don't think anyone here is insisting you switch...
Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

The place looked as though it had been visited by Gengiz Cohen [footnote:
hence the term "wholesale destruction"].
-- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)
New Sorry then
I must have had flashbacks to the MacJihad days?

New Remember: You have free will.
If anyone were to start insisting that I switch to, say, XP, I would have to insist that they bugger off.

You can expect a fair amount of 'ooh, Os X is really fab!' in the Mac forum, for some reason :)

Amiga had a GUI'd unixish system some 15 years before Apple released one. The big diff between Mac success and the Amiga's lack of? Commodore.
On and on and on and on,
New I tend to forget that
working for lawyers kind of drains the free will from one's system. :(

New That's quite all right. Think nothing of it....
Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

"You're not allowed to call them dinosaurs anymore." said Yo-less. "It's
speciesist. You have to call them pre-petroleum persons."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Johnny and the Bomb)
     The Apple Hype Machine - (Meerkat) - (47)
         Indeed! - (nking) - (1)
             Even when the rumour sites get it right, - (Meerkat)
         Mine's a simple Question - - (Ashton) - (25)
             Five years is a long time. - (Meerkat) - (1)
                 Five years is a long time - (nking)
             A Mac is strangely tempting. - (static)
             Don't jump until you try: - (admin) - (21)
                 As always, see for yourself - (tjsinclair) - (7)
                     Mailbag: most mail against the new UI - (admin) - (6)
                         Once again--See for yourself, make up your own mind - (tjsinclair) - (5)
                             That's what I've been saying, isn't it? - (admin) - (4)
                                 IIRC people whinged when Win95 came out. - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                     And some people are still moaning and griping - (wharris2) - (1)
                                         Ctrl-Alt-Del a security measure, of sorts. - (Meerkat)
                                 I guess we're just approaching from different directions <g> -NT - (tjsinclair)
                 considering that I have never used the mac UI - (boxley)
                 What a whiner - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     Aqua's just another UI to me - (tjsinclair)
                 Thanks.._________I think - (Ashton) - (9)
                     Bugatti looks with Kia performance. - (Meerkat) - (8)
                         More than just "Eye Candy" - (nking) - (7)
                             It's a Mac. - (Meerkat) - (6)
                                 It's an Amiga - (nking) - (5)
                                     I don't think anyone here is insisting you switch... -NT - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                                         Sorry then - (nking) - (3)
                                             Remember: You have free will. - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                 I tend to forget that - (nking) - (1)
                                                     That's quite all right. Think nothing of it.... -NT - (tjsinclair)
         I've read tons of speculation on the Net - (tjsinclair) - (5)
             Camping out? I would say that's a bit sad... - (Meerkat) - (4)
                 Not as sad as it sounds.... - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                     Though I've only experienced a small amount of RDF... - (Meerkat) - (2)
                         I've watched the webcast - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                             During past Stevenotes, - (Meerkat)
         The Inquirer has the scoop. - (Another Scott)
         Its a PDA - (tuberculosis) - (8)
             I'm betting on a PS/2 emulator - (tjsinclair) - (7)
                 With a Firewire<->MCA interface? - (Meerkat) - (6)
                     No no no, the Apple ///gs - (nking)
                     Ooops - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                         PSX2 or PS2. - (static)
                         Playstation emulators - (nking) - (2)
                             Bleemcast - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                 Re: Bleemcast - (nking)
         Your rumour questions answered! - (admin) - (2)
             You got my 1st impression... - (bepatient)
             Pixar Logo - (tuberculosis)

And if I'm just going for effect, I might as well wear a tie. And pants.
124 ms