IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New He made it clear what his alternate solution was
Private enterprise and free markets.

I disagree with his prescription (markets have different sets of failures), but I agree with his diagnosis of what's wrong with how things are being done now.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
Expand Edited by ben_tilly Oct. 15, 2005, 04:43:46 AM EDT
New That was clear?
Yes, he mentioned it a few times. I kept expecting him to show why, but the one good example (WalMart) ended with a warning that the head of WalMart would fail as the head of FEMA for the same reasons the former head of FEMA did. That was strange. Mind you, he did seem to be focussing on what had been done wrong, not what should have been done instead.

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New It was to me
Some quotes may illustrate why.

...you can\ufffdt command an economy...in the end, you can\ufffdt make the economy perform in a way that serves the people unless you let market forces work.

Not just the Soviets had to learn this. Authoritarian regimes from the beginning of time have attempted to defy the laws of economics, step on the interests of the merchant class, control and redirect the wishes of consumers and entrepreneurs, bend and kick prices and wages this way and that, and inhibit trade in every way. But they cannot finally overpower the driving desire on the part of people to control their own fate and not be subject to the slavery that is collectivism of all colors, whether red or brown.

...they have far less information than the body of knowledge generated by the signaling process of the market economy and the private sector.

This isn\ufffdt a matter of character. It is a matter of the maze in which you find yourself, with market-generated exit signs, or none at all, thanks to the government.

Just imagine if the town were private like your home or car. Insurance companies would have taken a huge role in risk assessment, not only charging more for higher risk but insisting on management strategies that reduce risk and rewarding those who adopt those strategies with better premiums. This works on the same principles as your homeowners\ufffd insurance, which combines rules and incentives to reduce the likelihood of losses.

I could go on, but I think that I've made my point - the whole article is laced with references to the idea that free markets do things better than governments, and government interference is always bad. Therefore it was obvious to me what his proposed alternate solution is.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Yup. Was clear in the 1st paragraph with ref to the Soviets.
New Are you now, then, agreeing with me?
Ashton will have a cow!
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Aggreeing with you on what?
New You are assuming he agrees
that the economy should be unregulated - "you can't command the economy".

Agreeing with the enumeration of problems doesn't mean agreement with the prescription.

"Leeches and bleeding! The patient has too much blood!"
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Oh I know.
But it would create a stir ;-)
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New And that was a bad assumption
Particularly since in [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=229533|http://z.iwethey.org...?contentid=229533] I said that I don't agree with his prescription.

Cheers,
Ben
New *chuckle*
You "don't disagree"?
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New One of us made a sign error
New Both? Cancelling out?
]
Imric's Tips for Living

New Nope...
That was my snide way of pointing out that your "don't disagree" was the opposite of what I'd said.

Cheers,
Ben
New My "don't disagree?"
From the post you linked to:
"I don't disagree with his prescription (markets have different sets of failures), but I agree with his diagnosis"

The post you linked from said:
"I don't agree with his prescription"

Soooo... Which is it? Do you agree or disagree with his prescription?

*chuckle*
]
Imric's Tips for Living

New D'oh, I know what I MEANT to write...
New Heehee
I know - and I READ it the way you meant it first time through, too - thats what I meant by "both? cancelling out?"...
]
Imric's Tips for Living

Expand Edited by imric Oct. 15, 2005, 10:52:43 AM EDT
New Well, and odd number of sign errors anyway
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New I must not be his target audience.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New I guess I'm sensitive to the buzzwords he used.
     Influenza, anyone? - (Ashton) - (30)
         Run! Get out... umm... what about the subordinates? - (warmachine) - (29)
             we are using the Soviet Model -NT - (boxley) - (28)
                 Not familiar with that -NT - (warmachine) - (27)
                     here ya go, enjoy - (boxley) - (26)
                         The subordinates are the problem - (warmachine) - (4)
                             The decline has been fast - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 So that article is a pack of lies. Oh, I'm surprised! - (warmachine) - (2)
                                     Umm.. let's not get Ahead of the Game, OK? - (Ashton)
                                     Who says it is a pack of lies? - (ben_tilly)
                         Gads, that was depressing. Good, but depressing. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (20)
                             He spent a lot of time saying what was wrong. - (static) - (19)
                                 He made it clear what his alternate solution was - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                                     That was clear? - (static) - (17)
                                         It was to me - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                             Yup. Was clear in the 1st paragraph with ref to the Soviets. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             Are you now, then, agreeing with me? - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                 Aggreeing with you on what? -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                 You are assuming he agrees - (imric) - (10)
                                                     Oh I know. - (bepatient)
                                                     And that was a bad assumption - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                                         *chuckle* - (imric) - (7)
                                                             One of us made a sign error -NT - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                                 Both? Cancelling out? -NT - (imric) - (4)
                                                                     Nope... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                                         My "don't disagree?" - (imric) - (2)
                                                                             D'oh, I know what I MEANT to write... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                                 Heehee - (imric)
                                                                 Well, and odd number of sign errors anyway -NT - (drewk)
                                             I must not be his target audience. -NT - (static) - (1)
                                                 I guess I'm sensitive to the buzzwords he used. -NT - (ben_tilly)