IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Order! Order!
I hereby call this inaugural meeting of the ZIWT Lardy Crew (ZLC hereafter) to order!

Please state your name, height, current weight and target weight.

I'm 98kg (that's 217 pounds to you people using Ancient Measures) and 185cm (that's about 6'2").

Target weight is circa 80kg (about 180 pounds).

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New I'll have the roast chicken combo :)
Ok, Big Norm:

Weight 263 Pounds, Height 5 feet 11 inches, target weight about 200 pounds (180 if I can make my high school weight).

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New ZLC: Ziwethey Loves Chocolate
Meerkat's suitably nebulous numbers...

Weight: I'm guessing 94kg (207lb)
Height: Maybe 175cm (5'9") maybe? Can't say I've actually checked.

(I'm not just being coy, I genuinely don't know.)

Target: Whatever. Was 86kg in June last year (down from a fat bastard 103kg the year before that, woo yeah!) so would be good to get at least back to the mid-80s. And I'm not talking Duran Duran. :)

Let the great lard-off commence!
John, who finds it kinda odd telling the whole world about his weight. But hey.
New BMI link for the interested.
That's "Body Mass Index".

[link|http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm|BMI Calculator in JavaScript]
[link|http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm|BMI Calculator in CGI]
[link|http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.htm|BMI Calculator with tables]

Whilst I have a little bit of a spare tire, my BMI is about 24 for my height of 5'9". Karsten may remember what shape I am...

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New An expletive registering shock and/or surprise!
I checked that site, and an Australian one I checked, just in case it was different.

If my weight/height guesses are right, then I'm bordering on technically being obese. Fsck that! As Eric Cartman says - 'I'm not fat, I'm festively plump' :)

Well I'll factor in a, how you say, solid build - which means I put me in the 'overweight' rather than 'obese' category. There, I feel better already :-)
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Re: BMI link for the interested.

It's celery and cottage cheese from here on in, chaps.

Peter
Shill For Hire
New Ways to lose weight
It's as good a time as any to discuss ways of doing it. Cottage Cheese and celery wouldn't work for me. For starters, I don't like celery :)

Discounting for the moment the fact that I've since found about 10 kilos, from early 2000 to early 20001 I lost 15kgs (33 lbs). Didn't change what I ate hardly at all, all the weight loss was thanks to an hour's walk each day. Well it started off over an hour, and I got it down to about 45 minutes.

Of course, YMMV, but that's what worked for me. If can change your diet significantly, and stick to it, bonus points for you! I couldn't do it - a life of carrot sticks and rice crackers would have been far too depressing.

John.
On and on and on and on,
New Re: Ways to lose weight
Discounting for the moment the fact that I've since found about 10 kilos, from early 2000 to early 20001 I lost 15kgs (33 lbs).
Blimey.

18000 years to lose 15kg.

That's only 0.00228154232261008 grams a day, should be no problem for me :)

Peter
Shill For Hire
New And the only reason I lost that weight...
...was because my time machine is pedal-powered :)
On and on and on and on,
New ZZ Top Diet
One of the ZZ Toppers was interviewed on this once and his tip was

"Order whatever you normally do, then eat half".
This is actually pretty easy to do.

Simple thing #2: Don't eat within 3-4 hours of bedtime.
Sleeping on a full stomach is 1) restless and 2) gives your body a chance to store everything

Simple thing #3: Cut back on drinking.

Simple thing #4: Stash your car and take public transit. You'll walk a lot more.
New cut back WHAT!!
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New Sorry
I meant to say

"switch from beer to hard liquor"

to reduce carbs.
New "Phew!" said Meerkat, reaching for the vodka...
On and on and on and on,
New bogus fat indicator
It makes no distinction between types of mass: ie. fat vs. muscle vs. bones vs. organs etc. I could gain muscle mass without losing fat and my BMI would still go up. This index is meaningless.

A good fat indicator is [link|http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm|percentage body fat]. Work on reducing your percentage body fat to a realistic level and don't worry about how "massive" you are.

Have fun,
Carl Forde
New This is true.
But I got the impression it was intended for people whose excess weight is probably mostly fat. They just didn't outright say it...

Wade.

New What shape?
Round is a shape...
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Oh fark
5'10"
217 pounds
BMI: 31.1. Woo-fucking-woo.

Target: 170 pounds.
Target height: 6'2". Now to just get THAT part to work....
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Perhaps you need some of whatever the Ents drink? :-)

New The whosiwhat's?
-YendorMike

New The Entwash.
Had some interesting effects on hobbits...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New That's the name of the river, wasn't it?
I didn't think that was what Treebeard gave Merry and Pippin.

Now you've made me go upstairs and find my books... and I can't find the passage I want, either.

Wade.

New You're correct
Whatever Treebeard gave Pippin and Merry was out of his cave, not out of the river.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New 24.3, you bunch of fat asses. ppphhtttttbbbb!
New Yeah...and you don't have a spare, do you?
Skinny bastard... b
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Lost 10 lbs without even trying. Pissed the GF off, too. :-)
New I lost 6 pounds
just by being sick. I think the virus burned it off with the fever. The New Year's Flu, or whatever I caught. My wife got it too and lost about 9 pounds.

"In order to completely solve a problem, you must make sure that the root of the problem is completely removed! If you leave the root, the problem will come back later to get you." - Norman King
New Re: I lost 6 pounds
Rather not do the "illness weight loss" treatment. You gain it back, anyway, usually.

Oh hell, this belly is getting bad. I'm something like 210 and should be more like 160. The Fat-o-meter put me at a sliver close (29.6) to being obese, which I couldn't argue too much with if had put me in that category.

My legs are probably pretty fatty, but the bulk seems to be in my abdomen. Why does fat accumulate there rather than all over the place?
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Fat distrobution
it depends on your DNA I think. Some people get it all over their body. My legs, butt, and stomach all get fat, but my arms, hands, and feet don't. My legs, for some reason, have both fat and muscle. Strong leg muscles, when I got on Gym machines I could lift more than 600 pounds with my legs. I can kick the heck out of someone and leave them bloody if I wanted to.

New Losing and gaining weight - some numbers.
Rather not do the "illness weight loss" treatment. You gain it back, anyway, usually.

Indeed, rapid weight loss usually isn't permanent. It's usually water which you'll need to gain back to keep from being dehydrated.

All the decent weight loss sites I recall say that it's best to try to lose at most 2 pounds a week. E.g. [link|http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=7012|this] story from the St. Petersburg Times.

1 pound of fat is about 3500 Calories. 2 pounds is about 7000 Calories. If you can keep your metabolism the same (a big if), then you need to eat about 1000 Calories less a day to lose 2 pounds a week. That's a big task, and that's one reason why most people can't do it for a long period of time. And, as we all know, it's better to exercise too rather than trying to lose weight only through diet. It takes a lot of work to burn off 1000 Calories (e.g. when I NordicTrak, 10 Calories a minute is a pretty active pace).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Bah.
What about a group for those of us with the opposite problem?? ;-)

BMI of 19... I almost wasn't on that chart that Wade posted.

Body fat around 3%.

I'm too damned skinny by far.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Bitch :-)
On and on and on and on,
New Re: Bitch :-)
It's as much of a problem as the other direction, weight-wise, whether you want to believe that or not. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Yep, I beleive it.
I just had to take a swipe at someone who stays thin no matter what. I think it's an obligation of Team Lardarse :)

A metabolism that's out of whack in either direction is a hassle.

Well, how about an exchange. Liposuction vs Lipoimplant. Ew. I shouldn't say anything that might put you off your food.
On and on and on and on,
New I've always said:
that I'm taking donations. ;-)

Although I'd prefer muscle over fat. :-P
Regards,

-scott anderson
New This week's The Straight Dope Classic
[link|http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_275c.html|I can't gain weight! Is my metabolism too fast?] - from 1982.

The most straightforward explanation is that people who have a hard time gaining weight (what we refer to as ectomorphs) simply have fewer muscle and fat cells to absorb the extra bulk than more athletic types. Fortunately, tests have shown that weight training can add new muscle cells, a process called hyperplasia. This is a lot more work than simply strengthening existing muscle cells, admittedly, but you can take some comfort in the fact that the new muscle cells stay with you all your life, even if you knock off weight training later on.

Arnold has some tips for you. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interesting...
Although, I weight lifted for 2 years in college (with the carbo/protein shakes, etc.) and gained a sum total of 5 pounds.

When I stopped the exercise, I lost the weight. :-P
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Yes...you are.
Maybe we could work on one of those pods from "the fly"...you could have half of my excess and maybe that would keep you on the ground in a stiff breeze ;-)

For those wanting to know...5'9, 245...target 200.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New not ed zachery fat
204 6ft but in fighting trim at 28 or so I was 220 with a 28 inch waist. I think I look fat because my chest dissapeared into my stomache. Just settle on less gut more muscle. Body indexes are dishonest. Had dengue fever in 86 looked like a skeleton with all ribs showing and stilled weighed 175. heavy bones.
thanx,
bill
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New Since I suggested this
Guess I'd better check in too.
204# @ 5'8". Target 165# or 6'2". Anybody have a spare rack available?
[link|mailto:jbrabeck@mn.mediaone.net|Joe]
New Re: Order! Order!
hmmmmmm.... well

Current:
6'0"
340lbs
46.1BMI

Target:
5'11 3/4"
220lbs
29.8 BMI

Target weight and BMI for me are typically alot higher than most people. Last time I was at 220 I looked like a skeleton. Of course I was in the Marine Corps at the time, and had a BFP of about 4%, and a waist of 34", Chest of 54". Athletic cut??? I think ... YES!

Guess, I really should try... My wife has lost 45lbs on the Weight Watchers Plan.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
Expand Edited by gfolkertold Jan. 3, 2002, 09:40:22 AM EST
Expand Edited by gfolkertold Jan. 3, 2002, 09:40:37 AM EST
New Let's see
I'm 5' 11" and weigh in at 185.

I think my weight is on target, just not composed enough of muscle mass.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Disorder! Datorder!
Thane Walkup
Height:6'1"
Weight:240#
Target:190#

I know it will all come off when I'm done with college and have more time to exercise.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Re: Disorder! Datorder!
I know it will all come off when I'm done with college and have more time to exercise.

Yeah. Uh-huh. You keep tellin' yourself that. ;-)
-YendorMike

New Is there a song about that - Ma\ufffdana? :)
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Actually, I'm down 15 pounds.
In between quarters, I get back into my regular exercise regimen - and I've lost fifteen pounds since the end of the last quarter and today.

Heh.
New Well then you should quit betting against Peter! :)
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Wooness!
Congrats, ya lucky bastid. ;-) Keep up the good work. You're an example for all of us. Just don't put the 15 pounds back on this coming quarter.
-YendorMike

New I just did the same in under 15 minutes...
I put down my briefcase.

/duck
Ben
New Now down 30 pounds.
Heh.
New I think I'm doing OK

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 189
Their Target: 190 if you believe the tables and want to be just under the "overweight" range.

My Target: 180

I think the table is relatively bogus though.
I do Astanga Yoga 3-4 days a week and I'm pretty strong.
When I started my weight went down (was just over 200), then it went up a bit - adding muscle.

I could stand to lose maybe 10 lbs round the middle to show off the 6-pack abs. This is actually a goal as I think I'm just a tiny bit heavy for my parachute and things are a bit zoomy on landing.

I figure you're weight can't be too bad if you can lift your entire body off the floor with your arms or complete a full pull-up (head all the way above the bar).
New I fully support the Blanchard Test!
ie: I figure you're weight can't be too bad if you can lift your entire body off the floor with your arms or complete a full pull-up (head all the way above the bar).

Of course, I happen to fully support that test purely because I can pass it :-)

And I'm with DrewK on the 'BMI tables published by folks with an interest in seeling weight loss product' thing too. Reminds me (here be a rant) of a billboard I've seen around advertising a weight loss company, that has a waist-shot of someone trying to fit into a pair of jeans. The spare tyre this allegedly fat person is carrying would probably befit a bicycle. But if it does convince people who aren't really overweight that they in fact are, then the ad does it's job. (here end the rant)
On and on and on and on,
New Wow, that BMI thingy is bogus
5'9"
Current: 210 lb
Target: 180 lb
Current BMI: 31.0
Target BMI: 26.6

I'm "obese"? Please. I know I've got a little gut goin', but now way does anyone without an eating disorder look at me and think I'm obese.

Oh, and I'd still be "overweight" at 169lb? Give me a break. The last time I was under 170 I was running three miles in under 19 minutes, doing 110+ situps in 2 minutes, and 20-30 pullups. (Yes, this was in the Marines.) I suspect someone, like the guy writing the BMI tables, is trying to sell a diet program.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
Expand Edited by drewk Jan. 3, 2002, 03:11:47 PM EST
New Frame Size is key.
Hi,

I'm 40, 5'9" barefoot, and about 152 pounds at the moment.

My elbow bone spacing is about 2.7", so I've got a small frame according to [link|http://www.aomc.org/HOD2/general/weight-HEIGHT_W.html|this] page, meaning I should weigh 144-154 (in shoes). I think I feel best around 140 but haven't been there for several years. I'd be happy to consistently be below 145.

I was closer to having Scott's metabolism in college when I exercised most every day and did lots of walking (but didn't also have a full-time job like Thane). I was around 125 pounds then.

Gotta get back in the exercise routine to lose 10 pounds around my gut...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, even by that measure
I'm 5'9", so by their chart (measured with a 1" shoe, so the 5'10" line) I would max out at 180 with a large frame, and I'm pretty sure (don't have calipers handy) I'm toward the upper end of the "medium frame" scale. For medium frame, they're saying max of 163.

Granted, they say in the explanation that their numbers are based on lowest mortality, so it is somewhat scientifically based. But the numbers still seem awfully low.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New Yes, I did think they were a shade low.
It *was* the first one I looked at from Google. And it only seems to work if you have a distinct paunch, even if its only a small one.

Like I said: it was for the interested. At least it can suggest some useful targets and provide some common reference points.

Wade.

New Size is relative
For a Sumo wrestler, I am a bit on the skinny side at 263 pounds and 5 foot 11 inches. :)

Now I just have to join a Sumo wrestling leage?

Order! Order! - (pwhysall) - (55)
         I'll have the roast chicken combo :) - (nking)
         ZLC: Ziwethey Loves Chocolate - (Meerkat)
         BMI link for the interested. - (static) - (25)
             An expletive registering shock and/or surprise! - (Meerkat)
             Re: BMI link for the interested. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                 Ways to lose weight - (Meerkat) - (6)
                     Re: Ways to lose weight - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         And the only reason I lost that weight... - (Meerkat)
                     ZZ Top Diet - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         cut back WHAT!! -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                             Sorry - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 "Phew!" said Meerkat, reaching for the vodka... -NT - (Meerkat)
             bogus fat indicator - (cforde) - (1)
                 This is true. - (static)
             What shape? - (Yendor)
             Oh fark - (Yendor) - (5)
                 Perhaps you need some of whatever the Ents drink? :-) -NT - (static) - (4)
                     The whosiwhat's? -NT - (Yendor) - (3)
                         The Entwash. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                             That's the name of the river, wasn't it? - (static) - (1)
                                 You're correct - (wharris2)
             24.3, you bunch of fat asses. ppphhtttttbbbb! -NT - (n3jja) - (6)
                 Yeah...and you don't have a spare, do you? - (bepatient) - (5)
                     Lost 10 lbs without even trying. Pissed the GF off, too. :-) -NT - (n3jja) - (4)
                         I lost 6 pounds - (nking) - (3)
                             Re: I lost 6 pounds - (wharris2) - (2)
                                 Fat distrobution - (nking)
                                 Losing and gaining weight - some numbers. - (Another Scott)
         Bah. - (admin) - (7)
             Bitch :-) -NT - (Meerkat) - (5)
                 Re: Bitch :-) - (admin) - (4)
                     Yep, I beleive it. - (Meerkat) - (3)
                         I've always said: - (admin) - (2)
                             This week's The Straight Dope Classic - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Interesting... - (admin)
             Yes...you are. - (bepatient)
         not ed zachery fat - (boxley)
         Since I suggested this - (jbrabeck)
         Re: Order! Order! - (folkert)
         Let's see - (SpiceWare)
         Disorder! Datorder! - (inthane-chan) - (7)
             Re: Disorder! Datorder! - (Yendor) - (6)
                 Is there a song about that - Ma\ufffdana? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 Actually, I'm down 15 pounds. - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                     Well then you should quit betting against Peter! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                     Wooness! - (Yendor)
                     I just did the same in under 15 minutes... - (ben_tilly)
                     Now down 30 pounds. - (inthane-chan)
         I think I'm doing OK - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             I fully support the Blanchard Test! - (Meerkat)
         Wow, that BMI thingy is bogus - (drewk) - (4)
             Frame Size is key. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Well, even by that measure - (drewk) - (1)
                     Yes, I did think they were a shade low. - (static)
                 Size is relative - (nking)

You were a prophet from above, then you came and sucked my blood.
161 ms