IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: FEMA was NOT the biggest screw up
They did about as expected - 5 to six days after the disaster. The biggest screw up was on the part of the PC mayor on NOLA. He is doing a very succesful redirect indeed, not without your help.

The 5 to 6 days was a huge screw up itself. Part of the major goal of an emergency response organization has to be the ability to respond quickly to a disaster with little or no warning. In this case they had days to prepare ahead of time and still blew it.

Nor did they respond as expected. In fact, their attempts at cordination where so poor they had the effect of blocking aid from reaching the city. Many aid groups reported being kept from getting to the disaster area by FEMA. Some groups where told to wait until notified by FEMA, and then simply forgotten, others where told to go home. Help really only began reaching NOLA when the bigger groups simply started ignoring FEMA.

The two solutions available to this problem would be to sweep the incompetent bastard out of office, or to give the job to the Feds. You folks asked for the Feds. The only federal agency with the manpower to do what local police and firefighter should be doing, and do it across the country, all at the same time, now, and not in 10 years - yes, that the military. "Brother, you asked for it".

And you know what. FEMA already has the authority to use the national guard in disaster areas. But their management was so messed up they couldn't get the guard called up correctly, let alone get them out in the field doing anything when they should have.

Bush's proposed changes will not make the country better prepared to deal with a disaster, but they would make the military better prepared to implement martial law.

Jay
New My personal guess
Is that Brown's being sacrificed for the sake of Chertoff.

Edit: I can't believe I just typed that.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
Expand Edited by jake123 Oct. 4, 2005, 12:06:42 PM EDT
New Aye.
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Why else would they have hired him back as a conslutant?
To give plausible cover for his pay-off and testimony in front of Congress sayin' bad things about Nagin and the Louisiana Governatress.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Um...
[link|http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/26/katrina/main886323.shtml|CBS News]:

(CBS/AP) Former FEMA director Michael Brown is continuing to work at the Federal Emergency Management Agency at full pay, with his Sept. 12 resignation not taking effect for two more weeks, said Homeland Security Department spokesman Russ Knocke.

CBS News Correspondent Gloria Borger reports that Knocke told her that technically Brown remains at FEMA as a "contractor" and he is "transitioning out of his job." The reason he will remain at FEMA about a month after his resignation, said the spokesman, is that the agency wants to get the "proper download of his experience."

During that time, Brown will advise the department on "some of his views on his experience with Katrina," as he transitions out of his job, Knocke told the Associated Press.

His salary as FEMA director was [link|http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0905/092705c2.htm|$148,000] per year. $12,333.33/mo gross. He would probably make a lot more than $12k becoming a celebrity criticizing the administration if he so chose.

I take the reason given by the DHS spokesman at face value. FWIW. YMMV.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Bush plans power grab based on Katrina - (JayMehaffey) - (99)
         Once again - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             "Everything would be so much easier under a dictator... - (jb4)
         Do I have to do it? Really? - (bepatient)
         Just as I said he would - (Arkadiy) - (95)
             Right, Ark - (Ashton) - (94)
                 Ignore the reality all you want - (bepatient) - (93)
                     Bull - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                         You still ignore the rules. - (bepatient) - (3)
                             Whose hue? Whose cry? - (jb4)
                             Which Armed Forces? - (tuberculosis)
                             Do you need me to get my cousin's contact info? - (ben_tilly)
                     You can make it come out any way you want: - (Ashton)
                     You have lost me - (JayMehaffey) - (65)
                         "Where was the federal government?" - (drewk) - (2)
                             Re: "Where was the federal government?" - (GBert) - (1)
                                 Good point - (drewk)
                         Little things... - (bepatient) - (61)
                             >/dev/null -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 And what was inaccurate? - (bepatient)
                             Well, Homeland Security - (imric) - (3)
                                 Yup. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 I know I've said this before, but ... - (drewk) - (1)
                                     It's cheap, easy and photogenic to Pass laws.... - (Another Scott)
                             Your missing the huge redirect here - (JayMehaffey) - (54)
                                 FEMA was NOT the biggest screw up - (Arkadiy) - (53)
                                     What are you smoking? - (Silverlock)
                                     Accountability. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                                         Well said, but remember that FEMA is tiny. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             FEMA was gutted - (imric)
                                             Exactly my point. - (inthane-chan)
                                     Re: FEMA was NOT the biggest screw up - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                                         My personal guess - (jake123) - (3)
                                             Aye. -NT - (imric)
                                             Why else would they have hired him back as a conslutant? - (Yendor) - (1)
                                                 Um... - (Another Scott)
                                     Disagree - (tuberculosis) - (42)
                                         Nor is it his job to know those details - (bepatient) - (41)
                                             I dunno about that analysis - (jake123) - (36)
                                                 I certainly understand that - (bepatient) - (35)
                                                     Source for Nagin on "coaches"? TIA. -NT - (Another Scott) - (34)
                                                         google://nagin coaches - (drewk) - (31)
                                                             Thanks. OTOH... - (Another Scott) - (30)
                                                                 My only issue with that statement... - (Simon_Jester) - (27)
                                                                     When? - (Another Scott) - (26)
                                                                         As soon as evac notice was declared - (bepatient) - (25)
                                                                             Then why was anyone at the Superdome? - (Another Scott) - (24)
                                                                                 Good question - (bepatient) - (23)
                                                                                     Well, let's just throw in another contingency - while we're - (Ashton)
                                                                                     Unlikely. - (Another Scott) - (21)
                                                                                         Did you not read your own post? - (bepatient) - (20)
                                                                                             It was late, but yes, I read it. :-) - (Another Scott) - (19)
                                                                                                 Re: It was late, but yes, I read it. :-) - (bepatient) - (18)
                                                                                                     That's not quite what the Times-Picayune story said. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                                                                                                         Talk about semantics - (bepatient) - (16)
                                                                                                             Then cut to the chase - - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                                                                 Another non-seq post - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                     'Course Beep: competence Is irrelevant. cha cha -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                                         Has nothing to do with competence - (bepatient)
                                                                                                             Disagree. But back to the buses... - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                                                                                 So - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                                                                     How long are yall gonna beat this dead horse? - (imqwerky) - (9)
                                                                                                                         Normally, a comparison w/ 'Nazi' ends a thread, by __'s Law - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                                                                             Surprise, surprise - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                                                 You've selected your own MO - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                                                                                     You're right - (bepatient)
                                                                                                                                     ahem, spanish american war started with less evidence? hmm? - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Well, didn't want to go back tothe free blankets for Indians -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                         For approximately as long as they are amused - (hnick) - (2)
                                                                                                                             Nah, pretty much done. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                                                             Good one, hnick! - (imqwerky)
                                                                 Nit - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                     Seems a dead-on conclusion - (Ashton)
                                                         CNN link - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                                                             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             Vehemently disagree - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                 Your prerogative - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                     Too far - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                         :-) Well said. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Reductio ab BeePium - (jb4)
                     OK, I get it now - (tuberculosis) - (17)
                         No. Wrong. - (bepatient) - (16)
                             Shorter BP... - (Simon_Jester) - (15)
                                 But I don't see those conservative arguments or pundits... - (bepatient) - (14)
                                     Of course there would have been finger-pointing in any case - (Ashton) - (13)
                                         Re: Of course there would have been finger-pointing - (bepatient) - (12)
                                             Absolutely correct. - (hnick) - (5)
                                                 Close... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                     Yup. I don't think Bush's been accused of murder and rape... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                         yet -NT - (bepatient)
                                                         He's been accused of causing it to happen to many though -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                 ICLRPD - (jb4)
                                             That's not true - (tuberculosis)
                                             He had a chance - (imric) - (4)
                                                 Maybe with you. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                     Re: Other admins vs this one - (hnick)
                                                     Key difference I see - (tuberculosis)
                                                     Now that I agree with... - (Simon_Jester)
                     I don't mind it a bit.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                         Good to see that someone is thinking ahead. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)

Spam-Corpus: Non-ISO extended-ASCII mail text, with very long lines
374 ms