IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yeah I asked.
He said cut down on fats. That was about it.
-----------------------------------------
George W. Bush and his PNAC handlers sent the US into Iraq with lies. I find myself rethinking my opposition to the death penalty.

--Donald Dean Richards Jr.
New Unfortunately, high cholesterol fats . . .
. . don't produce high cholesterol in most people, nearly all cholesterol is produced in the body so cholesterol counting does nothing (except for the few people who do absorb it).

Warning: I are not a medical professional nor do I play one on TV, so the following cannot be construed as medical advice. It is from my personal research into literature on oils and fats.

Fats do affect cholesterol. Olive oil is thought to reduce cholesterol while trans fats are now admitted even by the American Heart Association (which formerly recommended them) as bad news, probably far worse than the saturated fats they were supposed to replace. Polyunsaturated oils are now suspected of increasing cholesterol and they are a rancidity problem (carcinogens) even with short times at cooking temperatures.

That means: no cookies or similar baked goods or snack foods and no fast food whatever (the do-gooders forced the fast food industry from relatively hamless beef tallow to partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (made from vegies, must better for you, right) which are the demon trans fats). Cut down total fat and replace as much of the remaining with olive oil as possible.

Fish oils are probably most effective, but you may not want to live on a diet of mackerel. Coconut oil (97% saturated fat) is at least neutral (the little "official" research is deeply flawed). The only person I know who went on Atkins with medical supervision had a small drop in cholesterol levels indicating saturated fats are not the cholesterol boogie man the AHA says they are, and demographic studies bear this out.

Anyway, that's what I'd do.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Olive and fish oil advice is good.
Get thee to the sardine can. Kippers also rock as a source of the good cholesterols.

A lot of fruits and vegetables will also help, and other high fibre foods as well. When you buy olive oil make sure it says "extra virgin" AND "first cold press". That's the best stuff, and as a bonus it has the most flavour.

Try to cut out red meat as much as possible, but you don't have to go overboard on that. As a guide, a portion (of which you only need one a day) is about the size of a pack of cards.

Brisk walking is the exercise I would recommend as well.

So, eat fish, rice, and salads with a home made olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. Ratio is 2:1 oil:vinegar, and you can toss in other things (crushed garlic, coarse salt, herbs etc) to add extra flavour. Pile in a lot of it; it will make you fat, but the fats in olive and fish oil actually reduce the plaque buildup in your arteries.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Olive Oil comes in three basic grades . . .
  • Extra Virgin, Virgin, First Cold Press - use for low temperature only, including low temperature frying such as wilting onions, etc. At higher temperatures the flavoring elements degrade (into what nobody knows) and the flavor is lost even below 300°F.

• Pure Olive Oil, Olive Oil - olive oil refined from oils that didn't meet the stringent Extra Virgin acidity spec or second pressing. May be blended with some unrefined oil for flavor. Little olive oil flavor in most. Use for moderate temperature frying below 400°F.

• Pomace Oil - refined from oil extracted after cold pressing. No olive oil flavor but goes to high temperatures for deep frying applications (smokes at 460°F) and the like, and for use in recipes where no olive oil flavor whatever is desired. Some Pomace oil has a little extra virgin tossed in to restore some flavor, but usually very little.
There is no significant difference in the fat profile of these three grades so the basic health benefits are the same. There may be some small side benefit from some of the flavoring components of Extra Virgin (no significant research), but Extra Virgin doesn't work well in emulsified sauces.

Oh, yeah, I'm a real acid freak, so I mix my dressings 50%/50% or even higher on the vinegar. Use real good quality vinegar - my favorite is malt or an apple/balsamic mix (apple is too harsh and balsamic is too sweet). Rice vinegar is good too, and of course quality wine vinegar.

Many people make strong health claims for vinegar, particularly apple vinegar, but little research has been done. Note, most "Apple Cider Vinegar" is fake - distilled vinegar with apple juice added. Heinz makes real apple vinegar in quart jars - their larger sizes are fake.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Sept. 20, 2005, 02:51:45 PM EDT
     Those 3 dreaded words; Diet and exercise. - (Silverlock) - (23)
         What's to dread about 'and'? -NT - (tuberculosis) - (8)
             I've been know to start a sentence with it. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                 And what's wrong with that? -NT - (drewk) - (6)
                     Yet you start a sentence with a conjunction? :) - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                         Because I wanted to -NT - (drewk) - (4)
                             And you should know not to do so. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 It's a habit of mine up with which you'll just have to put -NT - (drewk)
                                 Et tu, Brute? -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     Nor yet so. -NT - (Another Scott)
         What are you eating now? - (Another Scott) - (2)
             I don't like sweets much - (Silverlock) - (1)
                 Be aware of carbs and their glycemic index. - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: Those 3 dreaded words; Diet and exercise. - (Yendor) - (4)
             Yeah I asked. - (Silverlock) - (3)
                 Unfortunately, high cholesterol fats . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     Olive and fish oil advice is good. - (jake123) - (1)
                         Olive Oil comes in three basic grades . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         What is the measurable goal for you? - (broomberg) - (1)
             There are kits you can get at the drug store. - (Another Scott)
         I recommend ediets - (imqwerky) - (3)
             Damn you - (Silverlock) - (2)
                 You're right. I should've said "Pie". :-D -NT - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     ICLRPD: I should've said "Pie". (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)

My toddler just put a Cheeto in my belly button. How is your day going?
99 ms