1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hmmm
"four nights in Sydney, following [four in Aukland and four in Fiji]"

But there is ambiguity IMhO:
We don't know if it's c + [b + a] or: c + [a + b]
The[] could as easily connote 1) Aukland 2) Fiji as, vice versa.

We are meant to infer that all is in reverse order.
"four nights in Sydney, as follow four in Aukland, which followed four in Fiji"

Maybe (other than stating 1-2-3)
"four nights in Sydney, following four in Aukland; this after initial four in Fiji"
Is that the least ambiguous?

But generally -

Poor neglected ';'
Useful as a [comma and \ufffd]? = just short-of a full-stop [.]
When context is clear - these need not be the formulaic clauses, either (ie with subject and predicate): the subject is most often evident. Speech has metre! D'Oh.

We are indicating ... {pauses} ...
Why can we not better signify l e n g t h ?

(Note how we exaggerate Pause-length - when speaking with children or MBAs;
this is not only to give them more time to pattern-match in their nascent caches (or for latter - TLA-damaged caches.)
It's for Emphasis sometimes.
and separation, if there are say, three related thoughtlets in a sentence.)

Our punctuation rules are primordial. Speech gives all sorts of clues about meaning, which rote use of hoary punctuation rulez elides. No such options were practical with hot-lead type and the labor to set each tiny blotch.

I shall attempt to carry the Guidon for Victor Borge's excellent musical burlesque -- illustrating these deficiencies by zany exaggeration.
Yet Another Treasure gone, recently.

RIP Victor...
no more delicious torturing of (delicious) coloratura sopranos on stage
no more delightfully dissonant key-changes at incredible velocity and virtuosity :(

New I was imprecise.
Fiji. Then Aukland. Then Sydney. The anguish of being called on this by boxley is hard cheese indeed, but I will bear it bravely.

With the retrieval of my passport, which I had prudently decided to renew in advance of its scheduled lapse in January—my horror at finding the $67 check to the State Department still clinging to its microperforations a week later as I prepared to write out the mortgage payment, to say nothing of my wailing and self-laceration, may be readily imagined—kindly returned with a starchy note by the Passport Agency after just ten days away, the odds are looking better. If it's to happen (a couple of other elements need to align just so), I'll know it by a week from now.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New any direction, have a wonderful trip
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Australia contemplated again - (rcareaga) - (27)
         Static's your man. Maybe Doug Marker too; he's been away. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
             IIRC, Doug is in HK now -NT - (tonytib) - (1)
                 he went back after all the trouble of moving out? -NT - (boxley)
         Im sure Meerkat is available as tour guide as well - (boxley)
         I live in Sydney. - (static)
         Yep, as others have said, MeToo(tm). Come on down! - (Meerkat)
         It's looking about 50-50 - (rcareaga) - (15)
             I know why Fiji is last - (boxley) - (12)
                 bass-ackward - (rcareaga) - (11)
                     now not to be CRC or nuttin but - (boxley) - (10)
                         There's a comma missing, you see. - (static) - (7)
                             Nope, the comma makes not one whit of difference. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 You're right, and you're wrong - (jb4)
                                 Look at the evidence. - (static) - (1)
                                     If English is your first language... - (pwhysall)
                             Hmmm - (Ashton) - (2)
                                 I was imprecise. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     any direction, have a wonderful trip -NT - (boxley)
                         Not me,but nuttin'? Yes,much of the time it seems you are... -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             {snip!} -NT - (Ashton)
             Regardless of whether you bring punctuation or not, - (Meerkat)
             Sounds like a great trip. Make it so! - (a6l6e6x)
         Today's odds: 80:20 - (rcareaga) - (4)
             The Grace is lovely - (Meerkat) - (3)
                 Right-o - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     you forgot the mate, start language prep early :-) - (boxley) - (1)
                         No need to mate, shaking hands will suffice :) - (Meerkat)

Analyze its orgone levels.
46 ms