IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nope, the comma makes not one whit of difference.
Both variants, with or without the comma, mean exactly what Rand intended them too: That the four nights in Sydney ARE FOLLOWING -- i.e, _A_F_T_E_R_ -- some other nights elsewhere.

THe only way to change that into its opposite is, not by inserting or removing commas, but changing "following" to *its* opposite: "Four nights in Sydney[,] *follwed by* some other nights elsewhere".

HTH!

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New You're right, and you're wrong
Here's the original sentence:
Early October if it happens, and four nights in Sydney following four in Aukland and four in Fiji.

"And" binds closer than "following", so the sentence parses:
[...]four nights in Sydney following (four in Aukland and four in Fiji).
which means the stated (which may be different than intended) itinerary is:

Auckland, then Fiji, then Sydney

And yes, the proposed insertion of a comma doesn't matter.

And why the hell do we even care? Rand has scheduled one helluva trip, I'm envious, and I hope he and the SO have a wonderful time!
jb4
shrub●bish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Look at the evidence.
Other people on the board read it as Sydney first. Thus, to some people, your interpretation is incorrect. I actually found it ambiguous.

However, I omitted to say that the comma can introduce an implied "the" in the first variation, altering the meaning to what I have already posted.

I know you have a well-deserved reputation for being a stickler for and being highly knowledgeable about English grammer (despite it not being your first language), but in this case I believe you are mistaken. Particularly as English is *my* first language and studying how it works and how it has developed has always interested me.

Wade.
d-_-b
New If English is your first language...
...then you should learn to spell "grammar".

Grammer sits on the porch, sucking her teeth and reminiscing about the war.

Edit: Oh, and CRC's 100% correct, BTW.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
Expand Edited by pwhysall Sept. 9, 2005, 01:09:18 AM EDT
     Australia contemplated again - (rcareaga) - (27)
         Static's your man. Maybe Doug Marker too; he's been away. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
             IIRC, Doug is in HK now -NT - (tonytib) - (1)
                 he went back after all the trouble of moving out? -NT - (boxley)
         Im sure Meerkat is available as tour guide as well - (boxley)
         I live in Sydney. - (static)
         Yep, as others have said, MeToo(tm). Come on down! - (Meerkat)
         It's looking about 50-50 - (rcareaga) - (15)
             I know why Fiji is last - (boxley) - (12)
                 bass-ackward - (rcareaga) - (11)
                     now not to be CRC or nuttin but - (boxley) - (10)
                         There's a comma missing, you see. - (static) - (7)
                             Nope, the comma makes not one whit of difference. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 You're right, and you're wrong - (jb4)
                                 Look at the evidence. - (static) - (1)
                                     If English is your first language... - (pwhysall)
                             Hmmm - (Ashton) - (2)
                                 I was imprecise. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     any direction, have a wonderful trip -NT - (boxley)
                         Not me,but nuttin'? Yes,much of the time it seems you are... -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             {snip!} -NT - (Ashton)
             Regardless of whether you bring punctuation or not, - (Meerkat)
             Sounds like a great trip. Make it so! - (a6l6e6x)
         Today's odds: 80:20 - (rcareaga) - (4)
             The Grace is lovely - (Meerkat) - (3)
                 Right-o - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     you forgot the mate, start language prep early :-) - (boxley) - (1)
                         No need to mate, shaking hands will suffice :) - (Meerkat)

Body piercings don't have this type of torque though.
53 ms