IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Linguistic Americans
"The English language is the result of Roman soldiers trying to chat up Saxon barmaids, and about as legitimate as the other issue." -- H. Beam Piper (from Space Viking, 1962 or thereabouts)

Once upon a time I was in Germany, conversing with some techs. They were trying to find a way to express, in German, the word "vignetting" as a technical term in photography -- the effect that causes the center of the frame to be more exposed than the edges, without measures taken to avoid this.

They worked at it for some time without a clear result, coming up with some rather Twainish jawcrackers in the process. Finally I told them that they were working hard to no purpose; they should adopt the practice of English speakers.

Linguistic Imperialism!

That is, if another language contains a short or somehow attractive term for something difficult to express in English -- English speakers will simply steal the said term, file the serial numbers off, and put it in the dictionary. Gestalt is an English word, and isn't pronounced anything like the original German! [There are multitudes of other examples, some from the French rehearsed above.] Vignette is a French word meaning something entirely different; how it got to be a photographic technical term is a long story --

The Germans in question, being good Stalinist East Germans (this was 1983, back when there was such a place) were properly aghast at the notion.

But that's the way it works, and has since antiquity. The practice of treating French borrow-words as high class, and Saxon-derived ones as plebian, probably dates to the Norman Conquest, after which the Normans' doxies were elegantly nhuid, while the Anglo-Saxon peasants bathed ne kod in the creek.

So, nothing new under the sun, eh, Ashton?
Regards,
Ric
(PS Arabic strongly influences two categories of words in English. One of them is mathematics [al japhr, "the zero"]; what's the other, trivia freaks?)
New Cipher (cypher).
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Bzzt! --wrong. That's the same word.
Regards,
Ric
New My guess
alphabet. (the word not the thing)

Yup, as Tom Lehrer says in his advice to mathematicians everywhere -

..so let not a thing evade your eyes; dont shade your eyes but plagiarize.. plagiarize.. plagiarize! But please to call it.. .. research.

All true. We steal, often the Best. And that's Smart. Imagine a replacement for nuance or aperitif, though one writer has determined that cellar door is perhaps the goodest-sounding Murican phrase (we'd have to steal to say euphonious ;-) - and we did: Euphonium! - a damn nice sounding brass.

Got nothing against Engrish, Murican style (well.. except for.. almost.. Every Single *&($%$ Ad-jingle - and most biz-TLAs and ____ ). Shakespeare properly read: proof enough.

Now with vignette ya gotta watch that first letter! or you might be understood to be askin fer some tete.. if'n ya know what I mean and I think ya do - so there's some danger in puttin on airs. Nyet?

'Course when the subject turns to the Econ scam and the 5% E-lite.. and all the patent BS a justifyin the perpetual fat cats a makin 1000x of sane people: only Rus can capture the situation, tui grosnya kapitalistichiskaya svinya!

Cheers,

Ashton
body-language says it best .. (lucky for us all)
Which body language would You express to Billy or Bally?

(I think I like the European version which involves a forearm)
New Computronics? (Al-Khwarizmi, "Algorithm")
New Or hot-climate food, clothes, and soldiering?
New Comfortable furniture; "sofa", etc.
New Duh! Ah, isn't that what the whole Ottoman Empire was about?
     Heading to Chicago for Xmas - (SpiceWare) - (55)
         About 30 miles away - (Silverlock) - (46)
             Know right where it is - (SpiceWare) - (45)
                 Maybe we can meet when I go shopping - (Silverlock) - (44)
                     Sounds good to me. - (SpiceWare) - (43)
                         Monday? Meet for a couple/3 drinks? -NT - (Silverlock) - (42)
                             Sounds good. - (SpiceWare) - (41)
                                 What's yer email addie? - (Silverlock) - (40)
                                     sounds good - dropped you a note -NT - (SpiceWare)
                                     OT, Waay OT: Why do you folks call the main course "entree"? -NT - (CRConrad) - (38)
                                         Because that's what it is. - (Silverlock) - (36)
                                             In British English too, or just American? - (CRConrad) - (35)
                                                 Merriam-Webster - "the main course of a meal in the U.S." - (SpiceWare)
                                                 Plus it means I is reefined if'n I use furrin wurds. -NT - (Silverlock)
                                                 In .au, Entree = before the main meal - (Meerkat)
                                                 Re: In British English too, or just American? - (pwhysall) - (31)
                                                     Don't they usually drop the accent, when... - (CRConrad) - (30)
                                                         Merkin meal order - (Silverlock) - (18)
                                                             Reminds me of an Australian traveller. - (Meerkat) - (17)
                                                                 Damn phony-sophisticate philistines. - (CRConrad)
                                                                 Yabut.. do they serve on those salads - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                     Depends on the establishment. - (Meerkat)
                                                                 Food abroad - (kmself) - (13)
                                                                     Pickles, beets n Kraut aint veggies? - (boxley) - (12)
                                                                         Mexican Nescaf\ufffd is different - (Ashton) - (11)
                                                                             Milk in Mexico - (Ric Locke) - (10)
                                                                                 Yes: but it is scalded when used in cafe con leche.. - (Ashton) - (9)
                                                                                     Ah, yes, part of the recipe - (Ric Locke) - (8)
                                                                                         Hey you're right! - (Ashton) - (7)
                                                                                             You should go back; you'd be both pleased and appalled - (Ric Locke) - (6)
                                                                                                 Thanks for the update - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                                                                     The Mexico I love is the east coast - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                         Added to fantasy itinerary or maybe - (Ashton)
                                                                                                     Insane travelling companions - (mhuber) - (2)
                                                                                                         Damn.. I'm usually the one who has to remind self - - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                             All my stories like that - (Ric Locke)
                                                         Dead right on the d'oeuvres - (Ashton) - (10)
                                                             Sorry, but now I just *have* to ask... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                 Thought That one almost obvious (?) - (Ashton)
                                                             Linguistic Americans - (Ric Locke) - (7)
                                                                 Cipher (cypher). -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                                     Bzzt! --wrong. That's the same word. -NT - (Ric Locke)
                                                                 My guess - (Ashton)
                                                                 Computronics? (Al-Khwarizmi, "Algorithm") -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                                 Or hot-climate food, clothes, and soldiering? -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                                     Comfortable furniture; "sofa", etc. -NT - (Ric Locke) - (1)
                                                                         Duh! Ah, isn't that what the whole Ottoman Empire was about? -NT - (CRConrad)
                                         in sofla entree also means earlybird - (boxley)
         Planned route - (SpiceWare) - (2)
             nking - will you be home for xmas? -NT - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 Yes and no - (nking)
         Doh! - (Yendor) - (2)
             Oh well, at least I got to see you last time :-) - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 Indeed - (Yendor)
         Re: Heading to Chicago for Xmas - (mhuber) - (1)
             Maybe you can meet up with Silverlock & I for lunch? - (SpiceWare)

Your Freak God[tm] was HERE!
139 ms