IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Woman's point of view
I can tell you firsthand that the approach by the doc is totally out of line and counterproductive.

I used to be that obese woman. I've had a doctor reduce me to tears because of their insensitivity. It did not make me motivated to lose weight. I was humiliated and my psyche was further eroded (it was already at a bad place.)

While I agree that obesity is a huge problem (pun intended), there are better ways of motivating people to lose weight. Calling someone a fat cow just ain't gonna git the job done.

Weight to women= the size of your "member" to men. How would you like the doc to call you "Shrinky Dink". Probably make you feel rather inept, doncha think? Worst part is, you can't do nothing to change the size, unless you have an Austin Powers' Swedish-made Penis Enlarger.

Obesity is not just a "food" issue. Think of all the messages re: food=good living that we are bombarded with every minute of every day. Just telling someone to "push away from the table" is insulting and shallow. There is more to the issue than "Stop doing that!" (from a Mad TV skit with Bob Newhart...really funny but sad at the same time.)

There are a few men who understand the weight/obesity issue. A Few. There are too many emotions caught up in eating that can be addressed in this post. Suffice to say, when you find out what's eating you, you stop eating whatever. I am living proof of that.

My comedy skit goes something like this:

"Yep...I used to be reeeaallly fat. Ever since I was a kid. Eating was my way of coping with life. If something made me mad or upset, I would just prepare a whole box of Mac and cheese and I was FINE!. My other favorite was Minute Rice. Yeah, baby! 3 cups of that fluffy stuff with gobs of butter on it...oh, yeah. Always hit the spot.

I felt really smart to be an overeater, actually. You ever think about how other people use drugs or alcohol to cope? That shit messes with your head! Totally fucks up the way you think. I can honestly say, I have never been pulled over by a cop for driving while full."

(laughter)(applause)(throw money)

"Thank you all for coming tonight. You've been a great audience. :-D"

I finally figured out why I was overeating. It's a long story, so I won't bore you with the details. But when I finally figured it out, guess what happened? I lost weight! Tons of it! Like a miracle, it just started to melt off. Suddenly, I was the "thin me who had been screaming to get out". I still have some spare change to lose, but considering the starting point...I look and feel exponentially better.

There is more psychology to obesity than just, "Get off your lard ass and lose weight." The sooner the medical community recognizes that, the sooner they will see better results with their patients.

And, the sooner the nutritional guidelines people stop sleeping with the US Dairy Assn, or other such huge corporate interests, the sooner we can have nutrional guidelines that are actually healthy for us, not the Flavor of the Year. Remember what a healthy meal used to look like 20 years ago? and look at one now.

So, yell all you want to, you inconsiderate ass clowns. Thank your God that you don't have a weight problem. Just don't tell me how disgusting I look to try to make be a better person. You can all have a nice steaming cup of STFU.

Oh,and Slice me a piece of pie, will ya? :-P
Amy

" I tend to believe the great voices of peace throughout history {were} right, and this voice from this little hamlet here in Texas is absolutely wrong. The world is watching what you do here. It is important that you be calm, that you be peaceful, but you be firm. My grandmother {used to} say, \ufffdFight them \ufffdtil hell freezes over, and when hell freezes over, fight them on the ice.\ufffd

Dallas Reverend Peter Johnson, former staff member of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
Expand Edited by imqwerky Aug. 25, 2005, 10:45:22 PM EDT
New And by the way
yes that dress DOES make you look fat. ok?

If a doc told me I had a little one...it'd be a "male bonding" thing (unless it was a lady doc :-)

You may think it counterproductive but it is certainly PERFECTLY within a doctors rights to say "lose weight or it will KILL you". Its up to you to figure out all your inner demons and how to accomplish the objective. The doc can provide advice, referal, sample diet plans or whatever.

It is the doctors DUTY to inform you about your health issues. This lady was completely out of line in complaining about it.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New In one area he WAS wrong
He pointed out that she was likely to live longer than her husband, and she was too fat to attract a new one.

That was just plain abuse.
New You kidding, or you read that elsewhere?
Just asking -- 'coz I sure didn't see that in the WashPost article that started the parent thread.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Elsewhere
I followed the google news link to a bunch of articles to get a bigger picture.
New Uh, *which* "the" Google news link? (Sorry I'm so blind. :-)
New Here
[link|http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/doctor-censured-for-telling-patient-she-is-dangerously-fat/2005/08/26/1124563027265.html|http://www.smh.com.a...124563027265.html]
New Thanks!
New well I dunno about doc's but hookers have said
you want me to do what with that? (an they did it with a straight face) fat is 2 fold, overeating and bad genes. You can eat dam little and not lose weight, fat caused by substituting food for others things is not in a medical docs parvue, test the thyroid, blood suger then get their ass into counciling since you cant prescribe benzedrine any more.
thanx,
bill
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New In bilis veritas
I'll have to post more random articles if this is the response. In anger, there is truth. It is too easy to forget how self esteem is linked with basic, physiological needs.

Any more rants?
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
New I love it. (new thread)
Created as new thread #220983 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=220983|I love it.]

" I tend to believe the great voices of peace throughout history {were} right, and this voice from this little hamlet here in Texas is absolutely wrong. The world is watching what you do here. It is important that you be calm, that you be peaceful, but you be firm. My grandmother {used to} say, \ufffdFight them \ufffdtil hell freezes over, and when hell freezes over, fight them on the ice.\ufffd

Dallas Reverend Peter Johnson, former staff member of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
     Woman's point of view - (imqwerky) - (10)
         And by the way - (bepatient) - (6)
             In one area he WAS wrong - (broomberg) - (5)
                 You kidding, or you read that elsewhere? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     Elsewhere - (broomberg) - (3)
                         Uh, *which* "the" Google news link? (Sorry I'm so blind. :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                             Here - (broomberg) - (1)
                                 Thanks! -NT - (CRConrad)
         well I dunno about doc's but hookers have said - (boxley)
         In bilis veritas - (warmachine) - (1)
             I love it. (new thread) - (imqwerky)

Bestowing a cruddy-green patina to this over-polished line of deductive reasoning.
180 ms