IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Netadmin.exe
This was also available in 4.x and spoke NDS. I used to enjoy showing my students how they could manage their enterprise network from a DOS prompt.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits

The Emperor had all the qualifications for a corpse except, as it were, the
most vital one.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)
New NW 3 - coder's nightmare.
I worked there for a wihile. They started writing NLMs before anybody else. So, even though I was on the Windows side of things, I have to say this: An OS that has no memory protection and no preemptive multitasking in version 4 deserves to die. The only reason it has a reputation of "stable" is because of the certification process programmers had to go through. As a part of that, Novel requested all object files, and some source code for the program. They were looking for things that would cause a GPF or 100% CPU on another OS, but would be fatal to entire Netware server. So, Novell acted as our second level test department. And, since they had no virtual memory either, they would request our codes to remove every single uncalled function using #ifdef (the linker could not figure it out). In general, coding for NW 3 and 4 was pure hell.
New Memory is like an orgasm.
It's better when you don't have to fake it.

(quoting badly from I don't know who)

That's the reason Novell didn't have virtual memory in the earlier versions. Everything running was running in memory and they didn't need to swap out anything.

Not to mention the performance hit if you ran out of real memory and started hitting disks.

Other than that, yep, the memory model sucked big time.

And writing nlm's for it was very difficult.

But it was FAST! And it was STABLE!

I would rather pay the extra so the ISV can put the extra hours in to get their software to run without leaks or anything ON MY SERVER!

I've seen NetWare 3.x boxes that have been running for more than 3 years without a single reboot or failure.
     Novell kicking butt and taking names? - (tjsinclair) - (22)
         Freaking Flash garbage - (admin) - (4)
             http://www.novell.com/products/netware/whytheylie/main.html - (CRConrad) - (3)
                 There was no skip intro link. - (admin) - (2)
                     Bottom right corner. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Still don't see it. - (admin)
         Things they don't teach you in college - (nking) - (16)
             I had in the past dismissed Novell - (Meerkat) - (15)
                 it is a good server - (nking) - (13)
                     Er. No. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                         I haven't used Netware since 3.X - (nking) - (6)
                             Sigh - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                 My memory is a bit spotty - (nking)
                                 Netadmin.exe - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                                     NW 3 - coder's nightmare. - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                         Memory is like an orgasm. - (Brandioch)
                                 When the shill sez it's better than Windoze... - (inthane-chan)
                         PHBs and Administration access - (nking)
                         NDS truly is the bomb, as the kids say - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                             Re: NDS truly is the bomb, as the kids say - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Understood - (tjsinclair)
                     I've installing Novell Small Business Suite 5.1 . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 My company is 50/50 - (bconnors)

C:>_
68 ms