IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why geeks shouldn't reproduce?
On PerlMonks we had an interesting Wired article (which appeared on /. apparently) on [link|http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html|Geekdom and autism]. I found some food for thought in it.

I also found some unintentional humor in the quote, Mrs. Smith, here are the results of your amnio. There's a 1 in 10 chance that you'll have an autistic child, or the next Bill Gates. Would you like to have an abortion? Erm, which possibility was the argument for an abortion? :-)

Cheers,
Ben
New Re: Why geeks shouldn't reproduce?
Shades of my son and I in that article...

The first few paragraphs in particular.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Test
Did you take the test? I'm a 37.
New Re Test
32 over here...
New 34
-----
Steve
New 5
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I had skipped it earlier
33, but like with Scott, I find it too easy to figure out which way the answers are supposed to go.

I am also that most pathetic of creatures, the naturally extroverted geek. This is kind of like a dancing geek, you can tell the intention is there but...

Cheers,
Ben
New I couldn't pass it up
And while I'm sure I could stress the counter,
I answered as honestly as possible, which means
several contradictory answers.

Kind of like my 1st "purity" test. I scored so
high it told me if I should be a dog, staying at
home, licking my own nuts.
New 34
New Re: Test

I hate tests like that though... it's too easy to see which way the question is slanted.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New 7
Wow, somebody's lucky number.
When I visit the aquarium, the same thought keeps running through my mind;
Leemmmooonnn, Buuttteerrr, MMMmmmmmm good!
New 16 but I knew that
My Dreams arn't as empty as my concience seems to me
New 29
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New I only got a 29
Maybe I should've studied more.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New 28 - whatever it means.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New 12
And agreed. Whatever that means. It didn't exactly do a great job of explaining what the score meant in the 20 seconds I spent looking for an explanation.

But it was relatively easy to figure out which way to answer the questions if you wanted to show up on the test as autistic.

And, if it matters, ESTJ. (I've seen MB results thrown about on this thread, so have at it.)
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New It may matter
ENTP.

Some of the questions asked seem to me like they would separate S from N, and E from I. So I think there is likely to be a positive correlation.

Cheers,
Ben

PS Your PM question not only got answers, it also showed up on "Best Nodes of the Day". There was no need to be concerned. :-)
New Re: It may matter
PS Your PM question not only got answers, it also showed up on "Best Nodes of the Day". There was no need to be concerned. :-)

Aye, that it did. And they were helpful, too.

Now if I could just get the rest of this stupid script working...
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Re: Test
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Thanks again, Mr. Darwin..
And..thanks, Ben - Good One.
Not merely provocative - a gold mine! also well written.. wisely concluding with the essential caveat: eliminate (whatever it is* that "causes"?) this diversity - and we might well increase the rate at which we are now evidently morphing towards --> The Eloi, via increasing dumbth.

* "broad autistic phenotypes" ?

Fascinating - Billy's autism (long contended) enabled him to utterly ignore civilized behavior and get rich.. but worse: via going to the heart of Murica'$ National Religion: once a few of those women got tired of guys with just big abs: now we can blame the ensuing Popularity and epidemic (?) on Billy, too! (Kinda suggests new awareness of the subtlety of his foisting NT -NeuroTypicals!- on an unsuspecting world. The big Why? vengeance natch.. er Cackle?)

Were there any remaining questions about the efficacy of er natural selection ?

Loved the 'iron'* walled fortress of the medical establishment' - perhaps geek creativity focussed on an in-house problem - can at last take on and reveal the poverty of allopathic medicine's pathological linear-think (?) Talk about Ego-Wars-2000. And Carver Mead again! (went through Cal Tech with a 4.x gpa - most all A+s). He was indeed a strange BMOC.

* prefer 'lead' - denser and impervious to thought-radiation.

Lastly re 'triggering of a genetic combo': PH-3 say, or the other toxics in every fab, ergo in the air of Si Valley? AMA'd never get it, or even study it; certainly not the pharm chem Corps - no $ in That! (how synergistically doth pharm-chem and AMA single-think <> feed each other!)

For me, a totally unsurprising development (not forgetting that it remains thus far merely a damn good hypothesis). Surprised! though, that I've lived to see so many connections noted all-at-once AND - a chance that these very same talents might.. bypass, supersede the intransigent med. establishment:

Kaloo Kalay Oh Frabjous Joy !!
Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle..

Ashton
Nemesis of most-all allopaths in white coats (or even plaid).
New Re: Why geeks shouldn't reproduce?
I'm thinking those who think "syndrome" should be majorly bitch-slapped.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Too Late

[link|http://homepage.mac.com/tblanchard/|http://homepage.mac.com/tblanchard/]

I got a 24 and a most social little girl.

And I wasn't even trying.
New 19
Some of them, as with all these tests, I disagreed that the question was meaningful. "I can tell what someone is thinking by their expression." Well, when people tell me they know what I'm thinking based on my expression or tone of voice, they're wrong as often as not. So I think a lot of people believe they can tell what someone else is thinking. Of course, the fact that I don't believe others are as good at "reading" people as they think they are may be an indication of my "autisticness."

I was interested by the paragraphs mentioning dyslexia as being on the same spectrum. I could accept a diagnoses of myself as having a mild form of Asperger's. More introspective then extroverted, (INTP on the Myers Briggs), though not so much as earlier in life. My wife is very extroverted -- loves selling even. (Eeecchh) And she is dyslexic. I wonder how that's going to combine in our daughter.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New Daughter prognosis
(!)
Maybe.. she'll be reeel good at selling.. then, for seeing how easily manipulable people are - she'll despise the fact that she's good at it: then give away her ill-extorted gains and join a cult dedicated to the overthrow of the Cult of Billyness - for just plain Goodness' sake. (Yup - epiphany in Her future!)

Umm how old is she? We can always use recruits, bein outnumbered and all.. by them consumers. Should I send her some literature?

Ashton Psychoanalysis & Proselytizing AG
We find out what you've got and give ya new windmills to tilt at.
New Almost the exact opposite: 17 INTP
For various definitions of "almost" :)

Used to be a J, though.
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New 12
Silly as some of these 'tests' are - maybe this one is about as well as you can do in a.. self-administered one. That is, most of us 'lie' to selves either occasionally or - regularly (those become marketers or other form of asshole or even.. an AG).

I suspect that via the obvious algorithm, a good observer with some psych understanding (from experience not books) and well acquainted with the subject.. could infer some useful information from these questions. (Of course the tester would rephrase them to suit, reduce the obviousness - or even know some of the answers about the testee).

Besides.. in extreme ranges: HTF Could a severely isolated one even be remotely aware of what? s/he had missed from the cradle on: ~hey.. there are Other Beings in my tiny omniverse here *too* -- Gosh!

Yours for better self-testing - always administered by a damn good tester and to a brilliant testee. Guaranteed Results R'Us.
New I'm someway up the curve.

Wade

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Nine, says the test.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
     Why geeks shouldn't reproduce? - (ben_tilly) - (27)
         Re: Why geeks shouldn't reproduce? - (admin)
         Test - (broomberg) - (16)
             Re Test - (slugbug) - (5)
                 34 -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                 5 -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                 I had skipped it earlier - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     I couldn't pass it up - (broomberg)
                 34 -NT - (bluke)
             Re: Test - (admin)
             7 - (Silverlock)
             16 but I knew that -NT - (boxley)
             29 -NT - (inthane-chan)
             I only got a 29 - (marlowe)
             28 - whatever it means. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             12 - (Yendor) - (2)
                 It may matter - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Re: It may matter - (Yendor)
             Re: Test - (bepatient)
         Thanks again, Mr. Darwin.. - (Ashton)
         Re: Why geeks shouldn't reproduce? - (wharris2)
         Too Late - (tuberculosis)
         19 - (drewk) - (2)
             Daughter prognosis - (Ashton)
             Almost the exact opposite: 17 INTP - (tseliot)
         12 - (Ashton)
         I'm someway up the curve. - (static)
         Nine, says the test. -NT - (Meerkat)

We are gonna party all... night... LONG!
187 ms