IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OT. Bringing back some memories for me, Wade.
Nothing to do with Christmas. Before moving to Charlotte, NC in 1979, I lived in "upstate" New York near Rhinebeck, NY were the [link|http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/|Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome] is located. The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome was and appears to still be a living museum of sorts. Back then on summer weekends, Cole Palen dressed as the [link|http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/richthofen1.html|Red Baron] would fly a [link|http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/germany/fokker/dri.html|Fokker tri-plane] and a fellow named David Fox would fly a [link|http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/gbritain/sopwith/camel.html|Sopwith Camel] and have dog-fight. Davis Fox had a small Snoopy figurine in model airplane attached to the top of his helmet. Disregarding the summer season, they played the song over the PA system.

The Fokker was painted red and had a Maltese cross to match that of the Red Baron. Both planes had rotary engines where the crankshaft is fixed and the engine (with attached propeller) rotates.

Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Remind me - why did they do that?
Eeevull Alex:
Both planes had rotary engines where the crankshaft is fixed and the engine (with attached propeller) rotates.
For better cooling (in case some cylinders would otherwise be hidden under a cowling)? Or to achieve even lubrication (while maybe getting by without an oil pump)? Or what?

I've known this, some time when I was younger and less senile, but...
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Re: Remind me - why did they do that?
Well, it was before my time. :) But, in those days they were experimenting with different airplane engine designs.

Cooling was obviously not a problem. In fact there was a cowling over the upper 2/3 or so of the Fokker engine. Fuel distribution was relatively easy and went through the hollow crankshaft. There was no throttle, so one had to simply interrupt the fuel flow for speed control. The engine's flywheel effect kept things going. Listening to that on the ground the first time, is a bit disconcerting. The Fokker, I remember, had a 2 cycle engine, which helps with the power to weight ratio. Castor oil was mixed in with the fuel for lubrication.

The engine's gyroscopic effect stabilized the plane in flight. But, if you read the Sopwith Camel link, made take-offs tricky.

Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Great minds..
as in ditto. Wondered how the meticulous tolerances needed - to keep all the rotating bits in (good enough?) dynamic balance: didn't torpedo this idea at \ufffd1 ?? That they actually made lots of them! Boggles mind.

(Well.. we could ask the same Q re Windoze, as the source code grew like Topsy - and everyone sorta noticed, but - and.. it's still a growin and..) Isn't it a lot like a fixed-crank and rotary cylinders?

So - never mind. We Knows why.

Ashton

New PW Ratio
As I recall, there was really one good reasons for the short popularity of these types of engines in WWI. The power to weight ratio of these types of engines was among the best possible for the era. Considering the power levels of the WWI aircraft, every bit of weight reduction helped. As one of the pages posted here points out, the largest engine used in a Sopwith Camel was 130HP.

Beyond a certain point the gyroscopic force problem became uncontrolable and people stopped using this kind of engine.

Jay
New I don' get it: Why'd that be lighter than normal way around?
     Static does the Internet uber-finder dance. - (static) - (13)
         Re: Static does the Internet uber-finder dance. - (folkert) - (2)
             I forgot about Amazon and ilk. - (static) - (1)
                 another place to look - (cforde)
         OT. Bringing back some memories for me, Wade. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
             Remind me - why did they do that? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                 Re: Remind me - why did they do that? - (a6l6e6x)
                 Great minds.. - (Ashton)
                 PW Ratio - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                     I don' get it: Why'd that be lighter than normal way around? -NT - (CRConrad)
         Coolness! - (SpiceWare)
         10 20 30 40 50 or More... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             The bloody Red Baron was rollin' up the score! -NT - (drewk)
         Re released. - (Silverlock)

An experiment in Boredom Control run by the Illuminati.
148 ms