IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Aye... :(
And the Rangers don't play at Chicago. Sukc.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New No Wings/Leafs either.
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New How can they have a season without the original 6?
playing each other at least once? The viewership for a wings/leafs game is gonna be much higher than a thrasher/grizzly matchup. NHL is still clueless about marketing the product.
thanx,
bill
Just call me Mr. Lynch \\

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Agree. Also don't see why we need more than the original 6.
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New Well there are some good teams outside the original six
It would be a damn shame to eliminate the other Canadian teams outside of Toronto and Montreal. Various other American teams have proven themselves too. Minnesota is a hockey market. Jacques Lemaire just needs to be fired so that the Wild can have some offense. Tampa Bay gets in because they won the Cup and have some excellent players. The NHL has to kick out Dollar Bill Wirtz and get a new owner, how about Marc Cuban instead? Lastly, LA and SJ stays put due to the sheer number of Canucks out on the American left coast, damnit they deserve some hockey too!

If I was the HOCKEY GOD I'd do the following:

Eliminate:
Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Atlanta, Carolina, Washington
Nashville, Columbus, Anaheim, Phoenix, Florida

To the hockey fans in those cities, tough titties! Go move to a real hockey market!

Have a dispersal draft of those eliminated teams players. Do it draft lottery style except that each team has one ball each for each round rather than the weighted Sydney Crosby sweepstakes. Redraw for each additional round. Institute a buyout plan to eliminate those marginal players from the remaining teams rosters. Go enjoy the various minor leagues you useless carpet baggers where you rightfully belong. Gee, watch how the level of play and offense creeps up again.

The new standings:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
NORTH EASTERN
Boston
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto

ATLANTIC
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay

WESTERN CONFERENCE
CENTRAL
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
St. Louis

PACIFIC
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Vancouver

Shorten the season down to 60 games or so. It would be nice to have a winner ahead of 25C weather. The schedule will be slightly weighted for conference play but the out of conference teams will play each other at least twice during the season so that each team gets a home date. Give Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver an extra home date with the Leafs. All existing and new rules stand with the following changes. Eliminate the instigator rule but make blatant cheapshots punishment very harsh like suspension for the rest of the season and playoffs or carry over into next season if the season is late already. Slashing calls get a full two minutes penalty. Helmets are optional for regular season shootouts and the All-Star game. Maybe some more changes when I think of them.

Playoffs:

The top eleven teams overall get in. Winning your division means nothing! Weak division winners should not be rewarded with a playoff berth. The first overall team gets a first round by. Best of five for the first round. Best of seven for the remaining rounds.

This ain't rocket science folks.
lister
New I don't think The Great One would like you killing the dogs.
And I am quite amused that 4 of the original six end up in your conference. That was just coincidence, right?

The original six is really all that's needed. But, I agree that losing the other Canadian teams would be a shame (although how many of them do you expect to make money this year - i.e., how many are in "real hockey" markets?).

I'd be willing to keep all the Canadian teams because we owe them for giving us the greatest game in the world, so here's the new conferences:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Toronto
Boston
NY Rangers
Montreal
Ottawa

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Detroit
Chicago
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver

Each team plays every team at home and away at least once. 40 season games (make 'em mean something). Top 2 from each Conference play and guess what? The Octopus means something again.

bcnu,
Mikem

New Tough luck for him
He should have bought into a better hockey market.

As for four of the original six ending up in the eastern conference, well that's just the geography card being played. Gutting the league down to ten teams is a little extreme and may prove to be a little boring.
lister
New I don't think so.
I think it would improve the level of play at the NHL, AHL and IHL levels.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Axing ten teams is enough
That's roughly 11 players for each of the remaining 20 teams. The more marginal players will be sent down to the AHL as well as many of the rookies who shouldn't be playing in the NHL yet. That'll bump various players from the AHL down to the ECHL, etc.
lister
New Auuugh!
If I was the HOCKEY GOD I'd do the following:

Eliminate:

Pittsburgh, Buffalo,...

No!!!! You can't delete my Penguins!!!! I wouldn't be able to see Mario!!!! ;)

Brenda

"I see little yellow butterflies fluttering round my head and hear little happy bluebirds singing overhead....all will be just fine!... Hmmmm someone get me a net!"
New Toast!
Sure you could still see Mario, assuming he still wanted to play, he'd be on another team due to the dispersal draft. Of course since he'd no longer have any financial interest in a team he'd probably retire.
lister
     Some hockey talk...Finally! - (lister) - (24)
         ABF. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             ABF? - (lister) - (1)
                 Sorry, I don't like divers. - (mmoffitt)
         And the Schedule is out! - (mmoffitt) - (17)
             Aye... :( - (Yendor) - (10)
                 No Wings/Leafs either. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                     How can they have a season without the original 6? - (boxley) - (8)
                         Agree. Also don't see why we need more than the original 6. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                             Well there are some good teams outside the original six - (lister) - (6)
                                 I don't think The Great One would like you killing the dogs. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                     Tough luck for him - (lister) - (2)
                                         I don't think so. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                             Axing ten teams is enough - (lister)
                                 Auuugh! - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                     Toast! - (lister)
             GO STARS! -NT - (imqwerky) - (5)
                 They've already gone - (jbrabeck) - (4)
                     That would be the DALLAS STARS - (imqwerky) - (3)
                         Hockey doesn't belong where it doesn't snow. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                             would you like a snivel with that drivel? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Dem's just da facts, man ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Re: Some hockey talk...Finally! - (Nightowl)
         Hockey stinks. - (bepatient) - (1)
             Crap. Made me look :0( -NT - (mmoffitt)

Bad hair often requires a good hat.
74 ms