IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What an idiot...
In version #2, there was too much water in the pan. It is supposed to be like a "bain Marie", bathing the sides of the ramakin or custard cup and gently heating the egg to perfection. If you really want to do it correctly, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the custard cup containg the egg in a baking pan. Place baking pan on middle rack of oven. Pour boiling water in the baking pan carefully so as not to get any water in the custard cup. Bake for 10 minutes. ( this is method is especially good if you want to make a large quantity of poached eggs but works just as well on a singleton with an appropriately sized pan).

I like this method because you don't have to babysit the darned thing! You can then concentrate on other things like:
A)reading the rest of the paper
B)drinking a cup of coffee
C)preparing the rest of an awesome breakfast

Piece of toast, anyone?
Amy

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting 'Heilige Sheisse, what a ride!'"

New How many dishes/much prep does that need?
Baking pan, something to boil water with and custard cups. (Note, I don't happen to have custard cups.) It requires preheating an entire oven, boiling, and cooking for 10 minutes.

My way I need a frying pan and spoon. Getting the water heated takes maybe 5 minutes, cooking takes 5 minutes.

I don't see the lack of babying as a difference. Between putting the egg in and taking it out you don't want to touch the water since that breaks up the egg. Plus as a bonus I can be cooking different eggs different amounts quite easily.

But I'll grant that my method does not scale above 2-3 eggs at a time.

Again, it is astonishing how many ways there are to cook a lowly egg.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New imquerky cooks, Critter does the dishes. What's the problem?
New No *wonder* he doesn't get drunk in Texas!
If he did, then who would do the dishes? ;-)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Well if you're going to get picky on me...
Seriously...most households have a small cake pan. If you don't have a custard cup, then a mug of any sort will do. ( C'mon, be resourceful now :) ) The only thing that is getting dirty is the mug with the egg in it. Boiling water can be done in the microwave in 3 minutes.

And, truth be told, you can poach an egg in the microwave, but I really think that is cheating :-D

FWIW,

Peace,
Amy

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting 'Heilige Sheisse, what a ride!'"

New That's how I do it.
By microwave that is.

One egg. One cocktail glass with about a quarter inch of water (old-fashioned or short highball). 1 to 3 minutes depending on how runny you like it. One piece of toast. Drizzle it with water if you like 'em slimy. Pepper the hell out of it. Enjoy.

I've got a poor man's hollandaise sauce recipe somewhere. I'll post it when I find it. Trailer park Eggs Benedict - yum.
-----------------------------------------
"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
-- H. L. Mencken

Support our troops, Impeach Bush.
D. D. Richards
     How To Poach An Egg - (pwhysall) - (36)
         Eggs are surprisingly complex to cook - (ben_tilly) - (20)
             What an idiot... - (imqwerky) - (5)
                 How many dishes/much prep does that need? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     imquerky cooks, Critter does the dishes. What's the problem? -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         No *wonder* he doesn't get drunk in Texas! - (ben_tilly)
                     Well if you're going to get picky on me... - (imqwerky) - (1)
                         That's how I do it. - (Silverlock)
             That does look nasty. - (admin) - (13)
                 Lunacy! Heresy! Burn him! - (pwhysall) - (12)
                     Don't like runny eggs either. I like my eggs... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         Most particularly like the breasts. - (ben_tilly)
                     dip your bread? - (boxley) - (1)
                         And now we have the question of how to EAT poached eggs - (ben_tilly)
                     We grew up calling them - (imqwerky)
                     Bread? - (Another Scott) - (6)
                         Finally a sane comment - (broomberg) - (5)
                             s/Margarine/Low Fat Spread/ - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                 nasty my precious, puts nasty tasting axel grease on my buns -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     I don't want to know about your buns... -NT - (pwhysall)
                                 Margarine - unfit for homo-sap consumption. Worse'n Olestra\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                 Yes, margarine was originally made from pig fat . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Need to add mild vinegar or lemon juice to the water - (bepatient) - (1)
             bingo! - (hnick)
         first buy a egg poaching pan..... simple really - (boxley)
         ObSentientLRPD - (ben_tilly)
         What a mess . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             That looks splendid - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Absolutely. - (Andrew Grygus)
         BAH... Poached Eggs are good, but - (folkert)
         So, uh, shouldn't that be "How To Pouch An Egg", then? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Ba-dum TISH, etc :-) -NT - (pwhysall)
         The 'vortex method' is a cruel hoax. - (Andrew Grygus)
         It's all too hard. - (static) - (3)
             No-one else commenting is Australian. :-P -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Curses! You figured out my cunning plan! :-) -NT - (static)
             Naah, that really is no surprise: Yeurgh! HTH. -NT - (CRConrad)

\o/
63 ms