IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Where to get a cheap distro
Well to be honest (groan...oh-boy he type-eth again)

I have used Mandrake, Mandrake FREQ, SuSE, Not Debian (well not for a LONG time), Redhat(4-7.2), Slackware when it used the 1.2.x kernel (not sure what version) till recent, SLS while it lasted...

All I got to say, is I recently started using the GUI installer for Redhat starting with 7.2(current). All the nice feature you could ALMOST want for ONLY 2.7GB for a "install everything" install. Only thing I got to say about Redhat is lay off the 'spresso and slow down a bit make sure you "fixes" actually fix it and don't break other things. INstall all the updates applicable t oyour system. Then break it by D/L'ing 2.4.16 and compiling it... patch in iSCSI support, (MUCH) improved intel NIC patches, LM_Sensors, latest ip_tables if neded, blah blah blah... modify the makefile for "your extra version" do a make xconfig, load one of the "configs" from an older "redhat" kernel source tree, make changes as needed (btw disale all the CRAP modules you won't ever need) save it out. make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install, copy needed thing to needed areas (following redhat's naming convention for kernels, System.map, modules.info, initrd's and so on is a good thing as thier script help keep that stuf straight a boot up), edit /boot/grub/grub.conf put in all the needed info (kind self explanatory), including a failback kernel, grub doesn't need to be re-ran nearly at all to get new kernels to boot... shutdown all yer crud and restart the box... if all goes well (usually it does work) access it (how ever you do it: telnet, shh, RIB board... blah blah)start yer crud should it need to be "manually started" (oracle, tuxedo, jolt, coldfusion, weblogic, are good examples of that). Notice significantly better performance from the same kernel assuming you benchmarked it before... :)

So, my reccomendation is get yur latest dist you want, and move it to a 2.4.16 kernel, update all you need to, to do it (some things like usermode, make, autoconf, glibc, etc...) Update yur X to 4.1.x (yur X replacement if you don't know how to un-RPMize(package mgr) it is a bit harry) and needed other things. Over all you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor and in the meantime learn a hell of a lot... and it really can happen all while you are using the dang thing too...

Me, I use Slack and RedHat at home, neat thing IP-TABLES has grown to be, great tool at [link|http://www.fwbuilder.org/|www.fwbuilder.org] AWESOME. 11 rules defined in XML built my entire iptables script, including spoofing (inbound and outbound), only certain services allowed to certain hosts, fully stateful connection track and ICMP trickery. Just make sure iptables 1.2.4 and linux kernel 2.4.10+ is used. If ya need help... I am yur man

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
New Sounds like fun, but ...
Did you notice the part where I said this is a PII laptop with 32M (48? maybe) of ram and less than 2G HD space available? Have you ever tried to compile a kernel on one of these?

But, once I get it running, maybe ...
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New Aww, come on!
I've compiled a kernel on a 486 with 32M and a 800M HD. I'm sure others here have done it with less. Oh, sure, the kernels were a bit smaller then. Just start it up before going to bed.

:)
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New Re: Sounds like awww [censored] to me if I ever got ...
Sidetracked...

Well try Slackware, with or without X, it can miniscule or gigantic.

Yes, I know it "ain't being maintained" anymore (yeah right)

Do put the newest kernel on it, though... makes ALOT of difference, especially on a "slower" machines.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
In 2002, everyone will discover that everyone else is using linux. ** Linux: Good, fast AND cheap. ** Failure is not an option: It comes bundled with Windows. ** "Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know." - Sassan Tat
New 386SX-33 12 MB 253 MB
Built me a kernel. 2.2.x series. Took a while (90 minutes IIRC), and I needed to clear off some packages to do it (emacs). But it worked. My first Debian box. The ability to add/remove packages with ease sold me.

I don't see what you're bitching about with your PII 2GB 32 MB monster box ;-)
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
     Where to get a cheap distro - (drewk) - (46)
         CheapBytes - (Steve Lowe) - (14)
             Thanks. BTW is Debian not on 2.4 kernel yet? - (drewk) - (13)
                 Bloody ages. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                     Oh damn, get the asbestos - (drewk) - (10)
                         Do yourself a favor... - (admin) - (8)
                             Aaaarrrrggghh!!! - (drewk) - (7)
                                 Muah. - (admin) - (6)
                                     Hmm, CheapBytes doesn't have it - (drewk) - (5)
                                         Dunno. - (admin) - (4)
                                             Last I check, you can only >buy< the current version. -NT - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                 Re: Last I check, you can only >buy< the current version. - (admin) - (2)
                                                     I think he meant from CheapBytes. Correct BP? -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                         Well...it always pays to look again... - (bepatient)
                         For a *working* box - (pwhysall)
                 Debian & kernels - (kmself)
         Which one do you want? -NT - (bepatient) - (25)
             Here's what I need - (drewk) - (24)
                 Maybe distrowatch.com would help you. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     So much for Suse - (drewk) - (3)
                         Uh, they're wrong. Completely. - (admin) - (1)
                             That's not just a little wrong, either - (drewk)
                         Looks like you want the Professional version. - (Another Scott)
                 RedHat's GCC - (scoenye) - (2)
                     Re: RedHat's GCC - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Dunno what I did wrong then ... - (scoenye)
                 Pick one...then let me know. - (bepatient) - (15)
                     That's what I had just about decided - (drewk) - (14)
                         Mandrake is EVIL - (pwhysall) - (9)
                             Aaaaarrrggghhh!!!! The Sequel - (drewk) - (6)
                                 The Wonder Of Linux - (pwhysall)
                                 heh. It's called CHOICE :-) - (Steve Lowe)
                                 Cackle.. glorp. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     Re: Cackle.. glorp. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         Yeap. - (admin)
                                         Thanx - leaning that way from 6.1 SuSE .docs I have - (Ashton)
                             Well... - (bepatient)
                             Haven't noticed any strange things yet - (scoenye)
                         All of those come in SuSE too. - (admin) - (3)
                             Okay, I'm sold - (drewk) - (1)
                                 That's why there's a DVD -- but I'm also happy with SuSE 7.2 - (tonytib)
                             Agree! - (slugbug)
         Re: Where to get a cheap distro - (folkert) - (4)
             Sounds like fun, but ... - (drewk) - (3)
                 Aww, come on! - (Steven A S)
                 Re: Sounds like awww [censored] to me if I ever got ... - (folkert)
                 386SX-33 12 MB 253 MB - (kmself)

And if you do find me there, you won't be able to afford me.
114 ms