IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Doesn't matter, does it.
Since I was responding to Ash's 'perception = reality' crap.

Further, I agree that the bigmouths are a problem, and I don't consider them to even BE Christians.

It was only when he descended to the slander of the whole set of Christians that I spoke up. As usually do. I don't like to see posters, intellects I respect, falling into categorical error. It personally annoys me because I feel I am being included here, when I believe the following concerning religion and society:
  • Church and State should be separate, it minimizes corruption and the effects of corruption in both.

• People should be free to choose their own religion or lack of it. You can't force anyone to come to God, the idea itself iis ridiculous.

• Subverting science for religious priorities is stupid, and the act of those profoundly lacking in faith. When this becomes a religio-political priority, disaster will follow.

Categorical errors (often resulting in 'group x is evil, group y is superior/inferior, etc, etc') are the key to demagogery, and are the error that has caused untold human misery throughout human history. I know you didn't like it when I pointed out some of the ridiculous categories that the neocons have managed to label the set of Liberals with. I don't like people I respect inferring that a) I support the evil bastards that infest US politics now, b) that I don't open my mouth about the bastards. I also don't like it when people suggest my POV is rare; among the Christians I know, I can only think of one that supports the nonsensical bile being spewed from Neocon (Religicans?) Fundies, and he was always a kneejerk Republican.
"they are a component of the machine, and whether by inadvertence or design they may come one day to form the nucleus of our own home-grown brownshirts."

Here we agree, and it scares the hell out of me. (not the agreement, the statement *grin*)
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

Expand Edited by imric June 12, 2005, 04:00:07 PM EDT
New RE: Bigmouths
>I agree that the bigmouths are a problem, and I don't consider them to even BE Christians.

I don't either. But they do manage to influence large numbers of christians. How to discredit them and deflate their power base? Perhaps by hilighting their lack of real christian values and their conflicts with genuine doctrine I hope.

Heck - Jesus himself advocated separation from gov/non-politicism when he told the disciples "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's".

I'm primarily interested in cutting these charlatans off from their powerbase - also in preventing faith based legislation.

Otherwise I don't give a damn what you believe or how you want to live your life as long as it doesn't impact me and mine.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:35:38 AM EDT
     THEM - In their own words. - (tuberculosis) - (52)
         first picture - (boxley) - (1)
             ask those who invite her to speak - (tuberculosis)
         And through such as these the Devil doth define . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Amen. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Yabut, look at the bwight side: - (Ashton)
         Hypocrisy or double-think? - (warmachine) - (2)
             Not doublethink, just non-think! - (jb4)
             Look up, 'Promisekeepers' re Biblebelt shibboleths.. -NT - (Ashton)
         most revealing - (rcareaga) - (43)
             what is most interesting(edited to reflect Ashton's umbrage) - (boxley) - (1)
                 Please.. spare a premeditated castration of the idea 'fact' -NT - (Ashton)
             alarming to be sure - (tuberculosis) - (40)
                 Ain't gonna work - (warmachine)
                 take a priest out for dinner (not McDonalds no distractions) - (boxley) - (1)
                     Not interested in real ones - want to unmask pretenders - (tuberculosis)
                 Any of them. - (imric) - (36)
                     Umm - if 'perception is Everything' (?) - (Ashton) - (35)
                         I wouldn't normally support Aston on this.... - (Simon_Jester)
                         Horsecrap. - (imric) - (33)
                             Don't hang yourself quite yet - (broomberg) - (13)
                                 Logical flaw - (warmachine) - (4)
                                     Not so - (broomberg) - (3)
                                         Only applies to just over 20% of the US - (warmachine) - (2)
                                             Nit: 64% of voting age population voted in 2004. 8kB .img - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 In that case, 1 absentee per Bush voter. Just beat the UK. -NT - (warmachine)
                                 Then there are those of us who embrace absurdity - (ChrisR) - (7)
                                     +10 for clarity -NT - (boxley)
                                     Who said that? - (broomberg) - (5)
                                         Self-interest overrides all - (ChrisR) - (4)
                                             BTW. I believe in Santa Claus!!! - (ChrisR)
                                             I think it's more complex than self-interest. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 A good evaluation. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                     Damn good for brief. One complementary facet - - (Ashton)
                             not quite the same, is it? - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                 Doesn't matter, does it. - (imric) - (1)
                                     RE: Bigmouths - (tuberculosis)
                                 oooh, challenges :-) - (boxley) - (2)
                                     move to strike as non-responsive - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                         liberals do not define the term, rightwingers do - (boxley)
                             I see every day . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                 And so real life - (bepatient) - (1)
                                     I wouldn't know . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 ROFL I'm sure... - (imric) - (5)
                                     Perhaps you should read what's written . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                         How about your statements... and conclusion. - (imric) - (1)
                                             There is no fundamental conflict . . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     hmm, wonder if these bumber stickers would sell - (boxley) - (1)
                                         "God is a Liberal" -NT - (admin)
                                 I've seen at least one - (ben_tilly)
                             Who are you calling hypocrites? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Nope - you're good when it comes to scope/categories. - (imric) - (1)
                                     Just checking, thanks -NT - (ben_tilly)

And on drums: The Pope!
79 ms