IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New THEM - In their own words.
[link|http://www.reandev.com/taliban/|http://www.reandev.com/taliban/]
----
I was tempted to put this in religion - but I don't think these chuckleheads have ever actually cracked open a bible for anything other than rolling papers.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:28:23 AM EDT
New first picture
why does rode hard and put away wet qualifiy you as a political columnest?
thanx,
bill
All tribal myths are true, for a given value of "true" Terry Pratchett
[link|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/|http://boxleys.blogspot.com/]

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New ask those who invite her to speak
I have no idea why she is given any kind of platform.

Usually the lock away the rabid ranters and start a thorazine drip.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:28:40 AM EDT
New And through such as these the Devil doth define . .
. . the very meaning of the word "Christian".
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Amen.
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
God Bless America.
New Yabut, look at the bwight side:
First: the transistorized Inquisition [x]
Next: the Armageddon cgi Spectacular (played out by a re-animated Charlatan Heston, of course) [x]

Ah but then:
whole lakefuls (on-Fire lakes, natch. Phosphorous?) of legions of Tee Vee preachers and this sorry batch - a writhin n' a fryin n'a smokin; hoist by perpetual misreading of Their Own petard.
(It's so Often said - ya Gets what ya Asked-for, or Imagined; these fuckers have reel gud imaginations re inflicting suffering on the Unworthy. er QED, I'd 'Believe')

{chortle} Schadenfreude? Guilty.
But I feelgoodaboutmyself - so it's OK not to be sorry.
New Hypocrisy or double-think?
"I'm an old-fashioned woman. Men should take care of women, and if men were taking care of women today, we wouldn't have to vote."

Kay O'Connor (Kansas Senate Republican)

Surely, this can't be true! Is this quote taken out of context? If she really believed in being an old-fashioned women (of the kind that never existed), she'd refuse to be a state senator, let alone vote. Is this straight hypocrisy or a new level of double-think?
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
Expand Edited by warmachine June 10, 2005, 05:35:08 AM EDT
New Not doublethink, just non-think!
Double think implies a thought, then a countermanding, "correct" thought. And we wouldn't want that, now would we? The woman is dumber than a sack of hair.
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Look up, 'Promisekeepers' re Biblebelt shibboleths..
New most revealing
Chuckleheads they may be, and the folks who put the page together have obviously had a fine old time cherrypicking the most preposterous pronouncements of the devout, but as we savor the rich comic possibilities of our fundie nutcake brethren we'd do well to pay attention when they're impolitic enough to say aloud something like
"The long-term goal of Christians in politics should be to gain exclusive control over the franchise. Those who refuse to submit publicly to the eternal sanctions of God by submitting to His Church's public marks of the covenant\ufffdbaptism and holy communion\ufffdmust be denied citizenship."

"This is God's world, not Satan's. Christians are the lawful heirs, not non-Christians."
This is what we're up against, and of course it seems outlandish and laughable now. I wonder whether we'll be laughing still a decade from now?

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New what is most interesting(edited to reflect Ashton's umbrage)
"This is God's world, not Satan's. Christians are the lawful heirs, not non-Christians." and that fool probably thinks he has read his bible, this earth is according to the king james bible and other references that Satan has dominion here.
thanx,
bill

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
Expand Edited by boxley June 10, 2005, 10:59:55 PM EDT
New Please.. spare a premeditated castration of the idea 'fact'
New alarming to be sure
And I'm beginning to substitute "superstition" for "christianity" in my working vocab.

I'm not in favor of making decisions based on superstition and I'm especially not in favor of others making decisions for me based on their superstitions.

Fairy tales out of government NOW. I buy none of it.

I have begun reading the bible - I'm hopeful that will give me an edge seeing as how I doubt any of them have read it.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:31:35 AM EDT
New Ain't gonna work
You are aware that religions are a form of superstition? It would be more correct to start substituting 'fundamentalism' for 'christianity'. Though I agree that superstition of any kind should stay out of decision making.

Trying to argue with the bible won't work. The devil can also quote from the bible, according to their mythology. They won't believe you unless you're a devout christian. You have to make sure others aren't infected by this insidious memeplex instead.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
New take a priest out for dinner (not McDonalds no distractions)
and (what is the word I am looking for?) communicate, thats it. Might learn something. I find it interesting that you look at xians like lab rats without bothering to look one up and start a non confrontational conversation until they realize you have a real interest in what they think.
quit trying to blame christ for the christians.
thanx,
bill

New Not interested in real ones - want to unmask pretenders
'cause that's what these are.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:34:02 AM EDT
New Any of them.
Enjoy your generalizations. The logical error that has inspired more human misery than any other.
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Umm - if 'perception is Everything' (?)
(It takes a long while before an observation earns the sobriquet, cliche. No?)

- then the Silent Christians - that vast majority of Good Christians ?? - have long been tacitly allowing the lunatics to claim solidarity. From the (earlier) Crusades -- through the Inquisition -- through Salem -- and nowadays, "If You Aren't With US You're Going to Burn in Oil" cha cha cha.

I submit: this IS -and growing?- A Common Perception.

So then, if the Good Christans\ufffd don't mind / don't ever do anything much / don't >dis-avow!< the hatefilled OT mindset of 'their cohorts':
W.T.F. should the many millions of non-Christians in the world think any differently from that Perception?

'Course we Could just blame it all on the RushOreillyHannity / FoulwellRobertsonetal axis. Or, on The Corporate $State, as offers these: microphones. But wouldn't that be a bit disingenuous, as an excuse? There were no transistors when the Salem hysteria+fires were lit. Etc.

I get so confused, 'specially about these folks what *Knows* that Gawd Hates the Fags She Created: just like They Do. Y'know?

Where Are the Jesus-lovers against 'Christian'-incited violence against ___ and ___ and ___ ___?

{sigh}
New I wouldn't normally support Aston on this....
but, just consider something....

Look at these individuals: now substitute Muslim for Christian. If they AREN'T being denounced by their "own kind", a lot of people would argue that it's implicit support for them.
New Horsecrap.
By that 'reasoning', Todd is agreeing with Anne Coulter's 'thinking' when she says "Not all Muslims may be terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims."

And here you are saying - and agreeing with 'perception is everything'. Well, I guess that Liberals really ARE out to destroy religion, they really ARE pro-terrorist, they really ARE incapable of waging war, they really ARE anti-family.

After all, they never protested enough, they never disavowed enough, they weren't bg-mouthed enough to change that perception.

You guys are HYPOCRITES when it comes to this stuff, or delusional.

Of course, you guys COULD court the people that really do hold Christian values, but you apparently feel more comfortable insulting an entre class of people for the big mouths and power-mad wet dreams of a few.

Pfeh. You guys have become your enemies. If I thought that everybody that opposed the current junta in the US thought like this, I'd hang myself.

]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New Don't hang yourself quite yet
Speaking out of my perception (not really speaking for a
class of people):

People who don't believe in organised religion believe those
who do live in a fantasy world.

Which then leads to a condescending manner of interaction.

Note: This does not matter WHICH organized religion, but
any who have any type of centralized authority structure
typically fall into place, and this include a local authority
for those that do not have a multi-level hiarchy.

You have abdicated you decision making to someone else,
typically referred to as magical sky pixies as interpreted
by your religious leaders.

There seems to be levels of what you feel people should
believe in without proof. In most cultures, there are a
variety of children's fantasy/story characters such as
Santa Claus, the Easter Bunnie, elves, faeries, etc.

In some cases, these could be real historical figures,
but with greatly exaggerated chacteristics, powers, longevity,
accomplishments, etc.

You accept (again, speaking from my perception), that these
are made up characters or abilities, and they serve their
purpose up to a point. But most people outgrow them.

There comes a time in your life that you stop believing in
Santa Claus, etc. There comes a time in your life where you
examine historical legends with a critical eye, discover the
obvious contradictions, realise that in many cases people
pushed these legends to control other people, and then come
away a bit disillusioned, but with a greater awareness.

But some people latch on to a particular legend. They base
their lives around the story. It is a part of their identity.
They will never examine too closely, because it is personally
threatening to themselves.

They answer questions with a variation of:
You've got to have faith to understand.

They construct an untestable house of cards, one that CANNOT
be proven or disproven.

In my own case, I allow for the possibility of God. I believe
it is very unlikely, but am willing to accept I don't know
everything. But to take that possibility and leap to any
orgranized religion (even the one I was raised as) it a leap
of faith I am unwilling to take.

No magical sky pixies for me.

And a bit of pity for anyone who believes in them, and a lot
of revulsion for those who would try to shove them down my
throat.

Have you ever met a teenager of believes in Santa Claus?
What did you think about this person?

From my perspective, there really is no difference between
Santa Claus, Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Paul Bunyan, Davy
Crockett, or George Washington. They are variations on
a theme, no more, no less.

Some may have existed, others are pure legend, but their
attributes, accomplishments, abilities, etc, are greatly
exaggerated and in many cases just plain silly.

Certain organized religions seem more dangerous than others.
Christians and Muslims have been waging war for a couple of
thousand years. Not that a non-religious structure (such as
communism or plain old dictatorship) is not capable of the same
level of brutality, just that the non-religious ones seems
to be based on a few crazy people at the top, as opposed to
centuries of structured hatred. Get rid of the crazy people,
the rest end up not being as dangerous. Not so with religious
based war.

So, under the heading of general impressions, if you are a
member of a religion, and other people who loudly proclaim to
be members of your religion do bad things in the name of the
religion, and claim to be leaders in the religion, it seems
it would be your resposibility to loudly refute what they are
doing.

After all, the people in "charge" got where they are, in the
position to do bad things, with the member's support. And since
you are a member, it is natural to perceive that you are providing
support if you are not actively opposing them.

Think about how Europe percieved the US after the last election.
US citizens elected Bush. All of them. Therefor, all US citizens
support all policies, no matter how silly or dangerous.

This is a reasonable viewpoint.

New Logical flaw
Think about how Europe percieved the US after the last election.
US citizens elected Bush. All of them. Therefore, all US citizens
support all policies, no matter how silly or dangerous.

This is a reasonable viewpoint.

Err... That's not a reasonable viewpoint. People are not ants and don't think in lockstep. It is reasonable to vote for someone despite disagreeing with a number of policies and viewpoints. It is reasonable to vote for someone who is hated because it helps prevent the election of someone hated even more. Consider the concept of tactical voting in the UK. And Europeans know that only 40% of the US electorate vote, not all of them.

It is more correct to say the Europeans perceive the US electorate as people, on balance, who prefer the right-wing, corporate, gung-ho, faith-based attitude of Bush and his inner circle over Kerry. The Europeans regard Bush as a destructive, inarticulate, religious nutter and the US as the same for not voting him out when they had the chance. They know that there is a significant proportion of the US who see sense but they were outnumbered and outspent.
Matthew Greet

New Not so
On a case by case basis, until someone has stated their opinion on the matter, it is reasonable to assume that that were part of the group that voted him in.
New Only applies to just over 20% of the US
US voting turnout is low and Bush only won the popular vote by a small lead. That's roughly 2.5 to 3 absentees per Bush voter. It is more reasonable to assume an American is politically brain dead or disillusioned.

Unless you're saying that 60% are guilty by failing to vote against Bush (which I kind of agree with). That's really a group that's too stupid to know they're being shafted when it's happening to them.

Even among voters, assuming not part of a just under 50% group is far too broad a brushstroke. I can just about go with 20% of voters.
Matthew Greet

New Nit: 64% of voting age population voted in 2004. 8kB .img
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/25/AR2005052501965.html|Washington Post]:

More than 125 million Americans -- 64 percent of those ages 18 and older -- went to the polls in last year's presidential election, according to data scheduled to be released today by the Census Bureau.

That's the highest it's been for a long time; since at least 1924 according to this graph from [link|http://www.fairvote.org/turnout/preturn.htm|here]:

[image|http://www.fairvote.org/turnout/preturn_files/Prelecturn3_28818_image001.gif|0|US presidential voter turnout since 1924|284|755]

There may be differences in the methodology, and people between 18 and 21 only have been able to vote in presidential elections since 1972 (26th Amendment).

Cheers,
Scott.
New In that case, 1 absentee per Bush voter. Just beat the UK.
Matthew Greet

New Then there are those of us who embrace absurdity
To believe or reject a deity is perhaps an absurd notion. Why is it even a question?

At the center lies a difference in values, driven by economics, lifestyle, and tribalism. One set of population has one set of values. The has a different set. From what I understand, politics is very much about how people interact. Do they interact to impugn or ridicule those who disagree? Do they interact to snuff out those that disagree? Apparently, history tells us that these two methods are quite prevalent.

Personally, I'll never vote for another single Republican in my entire life. I consider the current administration to be a dismal failure. But then I don't do like y'all and blame it on their absurd notion of religious beliefs. Religious beliefs are not quite as fluid as politics, but they are fluid. Those who call themselves fundamentalists are really just part of a greater movement of 19th century rural values. With or without religion this movement would be a force, as it is attracted to a certain idealistic way of life.

I view blaming this brand of religious fundamentalism to be as absurd as those who profess it. The problem is one of establishing a common set of values, not one of assigning blame. Attacking the religion behind the movement does nothing but backfire, as it makes the question into one of us vs. them, and the them seems to be getting more and more political clout. Better to find where the systems of belief overlap so that a political compromise becomes feasible.

The U.S. population is overwhelmingly religious. We can either complain that they are religious and impugn their beliefs. Or we can find out that these religious people are not necessarily a unified block believing in one set of unbending values. Take Catholics, for example. In the Northeast they have historically voted democratic. Yet, this group has slowly eroded as a solid base for the democratic party. The obvious question is why? Catholic religious beliefs are far different than southern fundamentalism (so much so that they have historically called each other non-christian). Yet, y'all seem to treat both these groups as fundamentalists under one umbrella? Perhaps true in some sense, but the groups very much have a different set of core values and beliefs (though there is admittedly much they agree on to).

The Southern Democratic base was eroded by the civil rights movement (which was very much driven by those on the left side of religion). The Catholic base has been eroding based on a number of things, but probably especially on the issue of abortion rights. Now we can yam and yoller about how civil rights or abortion as fundamental human rights. But that's not going to prevent those who see their way of life being eroded from going to the other side of the fence. You can have a litmus test of liberalism that rejects all those who do not accept each and every facet. But don't expect that this a valid long-term political strategy.

Problem with liberals is that they are as absolutist as the fundamentalists are about their agenda. Probably the truth is that the majority of Americans are somewhere in the middle and have been vascillating on which party they vote for. The Republicans have been successful in the recent past in incrementally getting more power, but their margin of victory is still fairly thin. (And this war in Iraq is very much about the Republicans attempting to increase their margin).

As for myself, I am of libertarian bent. I see both parties as wanting more and more interference in our lives. But those who are of this viewpoint are very much in the minority at this juncture in history. I dislike abortion, but I dislike the matter being decided one way or the other by the usurping powers of the federal government. I consider the idea of states to be dead, as the national government can and does interfere with all manner of things that are best left to the states. Now, I would agree that there are some instances where the overriding interest is for federal intervention (I happen to side with the civil rights movement). But the intervention doesn't stop with the very important matters of rights, getting involved in all manner of insignificant mandates. Where that line is drawn is a matter of politics, but both parties draw the line at an incredibly big government.

But I do know one thing. If I tried to build a political solution premised on rejecting religious beliefs as absurd, it would be political suicide. Perhaps you fancy yourself as rational, but your chosen method of interacting on the political landscape by relying on people giving up their religious faith is the most ridiculous notion of all, being totally laughable.

And you consider "them" to be absurd?
New +10 for clarity

New Who said that?

but your chosen method of interacting on the political landscape by relying on people giving up their religious faith is the most ridiculous notion of all, being totally laughable.

I'm not doing any political interaction (other than posting in a political forum).

There CANNOT be a possibility of ever reaching a resolution between faith based decisions and anything that contradicts them. A person of faith isn't swayed by facts.

[link|http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=faith|http://dictionary.re...om/search?q=faith]

So no point in arguing.

I was merely stating my opinion.
New Self-interest overrides all
There CANNOT be a possibility of ever reaching a resolution between faith based decisions and anything that contradicts them. A person of faith isn't swayed by facts.
Well, I guess you have nothing in common with those of faith, so you minds well fold up the tent in terms of politics. The verdict is over, and you've lost any political capital that you had to expend.

What if I say that I am a person of faith? That means I can't reason? That means we can find no common ground? That means that I am incapable of compromise?

I find it odd that those who would reject that there is a god in the first place, place so much faith in the ability of those who profess faith to maintain their faith.

Then there is the matter of genetic diversity. Every large system of belief, religious or not, is composed of many individuals. Each individual is capable of mutating the group as a whole (though such things may take). Or as the Reverend Lovejoy would say: "The Bible says a lot of things". Take Christianity. There's lots of stuff in the writings and history of the church(es) that are radically liberal. Christianity at it's heart is very much concerned with the poor, since that's where it arose out of.

Yet, there are many religious people that are uber-republican, promoting the cause of faith based prosperity. These people are more than willing to "compromise" a core set of values, all in the name of self-interest. And you tell me that a person of faith is incapable of compromise? I'd say you have more faith in religion than the most fundamentalist of fundamentalist.

Ok. So you want to get some religious people back in the fold? Perhaps if the Supreme Court overturned Roe V. Wade, then you might find that a lot of single issue voters would be more than willing to compromise on other issues. What's that you say? You say that abortion is a fundamental right, and you want nothing to do with allowing states to decide the matter on a state and local basis? Well, who's the one holding on to absolutist ideas that are unwilling to compromise? Answer, both sides of the aisle.

As for the question of whether a person of faith is capable of being swayed by reason, the answer lies in what is the object of faith. Is the object every little political set of belief? Or is it exclusively in the domain of a belief and trust in God? As all answers, it's somewhere in between. Religious people are just as stubborn as non-religious people. The act of being religious is just one more symptom of the human propensity for being stubborn.

The truth is that humans, both religious and non-religious, are semi-rational creatures. Logic is not the exclusive domain of any set of population. But underpinning any system of logic are a set of assumptions about what's important and what's not important. Goedel taught us that there is no absolute form of logic that can be proved with respect to itself - there's always a leaky abstraction no matter how meticulous you try to be.

Yes, religious people have a different set of assumptions, but those assumptions are not as fixed as you pretend that they are. And within that system of beliefs, there is an internal logic (though theology tends to be closed systems). Anyhow, it's all inductive reasoning, as deductive reasoning is a very torturous process, and is ultimately unsatisfying in resolving questions of ethics.

Anyhow, the claim that only your system of belief is the truly rational answer, is as enlightening as those fundamentalists that propose that they own the truth. You sound like a 17th rationalist who doesn't recognize that their logic is just as recursive in nature. I suppose that belief in rationalism doesn't prevent one from becoming cynical. And cynicism may or may not be the logical truth of life, but it's not a viewpoint that's particularly satisfying. Better to embrace the absurdity of it all, and try and figure out how we can get all these assholes to help others, instead of killing.
New BTW. I believe in Santa Claus!!!
And, yes, I am building a strawman from your exact writings. Has little to do with what you are saying in particular. More, just getting some stuff out of my fingers. My arguments that pretend to understand what you are saying are just as caricatured as the arguments pretending to say what religious people believe.

Anyhow, I do believe in Santa Claus, but perhaps not in the form you would relate. Yes, there was most likely a Saint Nicholas, but just as the Historical Jesus, we know precious little about that person (just as there was a Buddha, and a Moses, and a Mohamed). Of these, we know more about Mohamed than any of the others. But knowing more historical information does not equate to being more or less rational (if so, the moonies would win hands down). Anyhow, I digress.

Tied up in these systems of belief, including Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, are metaphors, symbols, myth, aspirations, etc... Indeed, at the core, the question of fact-or-fiction belies the ideas which they convey. And ideas and emotions are what are important. Indeed, the belief in rationality is a fairly recent phenomena in human history, brought on by the Renaissance and the 17th century. Ideas are what binds people together.

Santa Cluas is a shared idea - culture if you will - that seeks to teach a lesson. And what would that lesson be? I for one accept the lesson that's taught by Santa Claus, and I do so in the face of possible ridicule for believing in such absurd notions as innocence and benevolence. But then we'd just get into an argument about the commercialization of the winter solstice.
New I think it's more complex than self-interest.
Interesting discussion.

There's lots of stuff in the writings and history of the church(es) that are radically liberal. Christianity at it's heart is very much concerned with the poor, since that's where it arose out of.

Yet, there are many religious people that are uber-republican, promoting the cause of faith based prosperity. These people are more than willing to "compromise" a core set of values, all in the name of self-interest.

I think it's more complex than simple self-interest. In my limited experience with organized Christianity, going to church and participating in Sunday School had a very strong element of peer pressure and pressure from more senior members. Once one was a member, there was (not terribly overt but present nonetheless) pressure to tithe a meaningful amount and to attend every week if at all possible. There was always concern about wearing nice clothes and being on one's best behavior.

I think the social aspects of church are why many/most people go, and concern about religious teaching and salvation is secondary. They want to hang out with "good people" and gain support and friendship from like-minded souls.

My most recent church attendance was with my mother. Her church had a minister who was doing his best to be inspiring to his small congregation and the people who watched on TV. One of the things that stuck with me from his message was that one should tell oneself, "I deserve to be rich! I'm going to be rich!" Now, if one listened closely one could hear him talk about being rich with friendship, or rich with compassion for others, etc. But it's clear that many of the people there were thinking of it in monetary terms, and that's what he wanted them to think. It was a little creepy, IMHO. But other parts of his message were about a girl who was graduating from college and doing her parents proud. He was trying to build up the congregation in lots of good ways too.

He was obviously well versed in the Bible and I'm sure he recalls the passages about love of money and camels and needles, but he seemed to be concerned about the church building and its small membership (they had to change buildings a couple of times in just a few years). He seemed to want to be a preacher that could inspire and entertain, even if that was at the expense of what he might have known to be Christ's teachings.

So what can we make of that. The preacher was probably skewing his message out of self-interest and his perception of the importance of strengthening the church. The people attending seemed to be fine, and didn't seem to be money-grubbers. But it probably wasn't in their (objective) self interest to have to spend a lot of money for fancy church clothes...

You've heard about [link|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0805073396/002-8794763-2355223?v=glance|What's Wrong with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America]? Snippet from the Amazon review:

The largely blue collar citizens of Kansas can be counted upon to be a "red" state in any election, voting solidly Republican and possessing a deep animosity toward the left. This, according to author Thomas Frank, is a pretty self-defeating phenomenon, given that the policies of the Republican Party benefit the wealthy and powerful at the great expense of the average worker. According to Frank, the conservative establishment has tricked Kansans, playing up the emotional touchstones of conservatism and perpetuating a sense of a vast liberal empire out to crush traditional values while barely ever discussing the Republicans' actual economic policies and what they mean to the working class.

Other economists and politicians have wondered the same thing and have concluded that people weren't voting for their self interest.

I doubt that the blue-collar workers who supported Bush did so out of a feeling of self-interest. I think it was more a gut reaction to their feeling about him as a person and their fear of the caricature of Kerry and "liberals". There are, of course, people in that loud minority who think that God himself chose GWB to be President. But most of the people who feel that way didn't gain that insight all on their own. It's at least partially a result of considering the opinions of people they respect and people in their peer-group. "Where you stand depends on where you sit." Wanting to fit in with peers is a powerful force. It seems to be human nature, also, to want to find a leader to look up to. Someone with charisma can convince people, well, almost anything.

In short:
1) Many people choose churches based on charisma of the preacher and the "friendliness" of the congregation.
2) Peer pressure results in loyalty to the group and wanting to fit in.
3) Interest in the group leads to increasing support of the group's position.
4) It's much more satisfying to feel passionately about something. It motivates people. One doesn't see million-people marches to support afternoon naps. ;-) Thus, noisy groups get attention and motivated people are what politicians like working on their campaigns.
5) All top-5 lists should have 5 items.

If you believe all of that, then the conclusion is that liberals need to be more passionate about their beliefs and act on them.

Can I get an "amen"? :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New A good evaluation.
Of course, as with any authoritarian organization, even one that's low key, the churches makes every effort to control sexuality. Sex is so powerful and pervasive in human society that if you can control that you hold the people by the balls, so to speak. The church does everyting it can to convince its membership it is key to finding a suitable mate.

Most of the Jewish dietary laws were aimed specifically at making Jews different from their neighbors so they could only find mates within their religion. Being unsuitably picky about food to marry outside the "One True Faith" they were kept from slipping away into the background and within easy reach of the authorities.

Roman law allowed any religion you pleased but one government and only one government, Rome. In two populations religion and government were one and the same, the Druids and the Jews. The Druids said "OK" and the Jews rebelled. Today the Druids are forgotten and their descendents dominate most of the world. The Jews are still Jews, but from centuries after century of merciless pounding they pretty much acknowledge separation of church and state, at least for the forseeable future. Which one was right?

Christianity is now on top, but in the fullness of time it too will pass. Hopefully Islam will pass one hell of a lot sooner.

And that's prtty good topic drift for a single post, don't you think?
New Damn good for brief. One complementary facet -
Peas-in-pod?
Guilt

We must never misunderestimate the ease with which a certain and apparently large %pop may be induced to feel Personally-Responsible-in-perpetuity - for all the stuff that goes bump in the night. Ever! (along with all those neat-o bodily secretions you covered).

Guilt! don't self-flagellate Without It
New not quite the same, is it?
Saith imric:
Well, I guess that Liberals really ARE out to destroy religion, they really ARE pro-terrorist, they really ARE incapable of waging war, they really ARE anti-family.

After all, they never protested enough, they never disavowed enough, they weren't bg-mouthed enough to change that perception.
Please cite for us several public statements each by identifiable "liberals" that

—advocate the destruction of religion,

—support "terrorism,"

—profess the lack of any ability to wage war,

—oppose "families."

You gave us a litany of right-wing caricatures of liberalism, not of positions actually advanced by the American center-left (actually the Democrats would be considered center-right in most of the other industrialized democracies). Todd provided an ample sample of damning soundbites from what you will note that I described as "fundie nutcakes" and not as "Christians" or even "conservatives." These people and their supporters are many of them more or less disreputable and embarrassing, and the GOP tends not to trot them out publicly except in very selective markets, but they are a component of the machine, and whether by inadvertence or design they may come one day to form the nucleus of our own home-grown brownshirts.

cordially,
New Doesn't matter, does it.
Since I was responding to Ash's 'perception = reality' crap.

Further, I agree that the bigmouths are a problem, and I don't consider them to even BE Christians.

It was only when he descended to the slander of the whole set of Christians that I spoke up. As usually do. I don't like to see posters, intellects I respect, falling into categorical error. It personally annoys me because I feel I am being included here, when I believe the following concerning religion and society:
  • Church and State should be separate, it minimizes corruption and the effects of corruption in both.

• People should be free to choose their own religion or lack of it. You can't force anyone to come to God, the idea itself iis ridiculous.

• Subverting science for religious priorities is stupid, and the act of those profoundly lacking in faith. When this becomes a religio-political priority, disaster will follow.

Categorical errors (often resulting in 'group x is evil, group y is superior/inferior, etc, etc') are the key to demagogery, and are the error that has caused untold human misery throughout human history. I know you didn't like it when I pointed out some of the ridiculous categories that the neocons have managed to label the set of Liberals with. I don't like people I respect inferring that a) I support the evil bastards that infest US politics now, b) that I don't open my mouth about the bastards. I also don't like it when people suggest my POV is rare; among the Christians I know, I can only think of one that supports the nonsensical bile being spewed from Neocon (Religicans?) Fundies, and he was always a kneejerk Republican.
"they are a component of the machine, and whether by inadvertence or design they may come one day to form the nucleus of our own home-grown brownshirts."

Here we agree, and it scares the hell out of me. (not the agreement, the statement *grin*)
]
Imric's Tips for Living

Expand Edited by imric June 12, 2005, 04:00:07 PM EDT
New RE: Bigmouths
>I agree that the bigmouths are a problem, and I don't consider them to even BE Christians.

I don't either. But they do manage to influence large numbers of christians. How to discredit them and deflate their power base? Perhaps by hilighting their lack of real christian values and their conflicts with genuine doctrine I hope.

Heck - Jesus himself advocated separation from gov/non-politicism when he told the disciples "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and render unto God what is God's".

I'm primarily interested in cutting these charlatans off from their powerbase - also in preventing faith based legislation.

Otherwise I don't give a damn what you believe or how you want to live your life as long as it doesn't impact me and mine.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:35:38 AM EDT
New oooh, challenges :-)
advocating the destruction of religion
Engles [link|http://www.marxists.org/archive/thalheimer/works/diamat/|http://www.marxists....mer/works/diamat/]
[link|http://www.iidb.org/vbb/archive/index.php/t-32963.html|http://www.iidb.org/....php/t-32963.html] WDYHRSM?

terrierists
[link|http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/s11/churchill.html|http://www.kersplebe...11/churchill.html]
although I well understand his point of view

profess the lack of any ability to wage war
you :-)
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=211007|http://z.iwethey.org...?contentid=211007]

oppose "families."
Bernardo Ruiz
[link|http://www.progressive.org/mediaproj04/mprm2504.html|http://www.progressi...j04/mprm2504.html]

The country is not overpopulated, and why single out immigrants? Why not oppose families that have a lot of children?

thanx,
bill

New move to strike as non-responsive
First and second cited, not "liberals" (unless you choose to define "liberals" as the set of individuals ≠ "conservative Christians"), the first being a dead Marxist and the second an imprudent and impudent academic who would certainly disdain the term "liberal." Third citation does not support the position you attach to it; fourth is quite irrelevant.

cordially,
New liberals do not define the term, rightwingers do

New I see every day . . .
. . dozens of signs and bumper stickers proclaiming liberal values, supporting the Constitution (while also supporting our troops), proclaiming that "choice" is not at odds with "family values", condemning ill conceived military adventures in foreign lands and erosion of our freedoms. Daily I engage in conversations with people very vocal about their opposition to our "Rapturing Out" administration.

I have yet to see a single Christian bumper sticker proclaiming against the OT "Christians" who are hijacking your religion right out from under you. Not a single one. Ever.

If there actually is a "majority" of real Christians who stand against the OT "Christian Values" proclaimed by the TV preachers and their political puppets, perhaps their convictions are not strong enough to risk being condemned as "anti-Christian" and "anti-life" by speaking out.

Apparently the only option Christians feel they have to speak out is to accept the label "Liberal" and hope to keep it separate from their Christianity. This isn't easy since the propagandists are indoctrinating Christians everywhere that "Liberal" is synonomous with "athiest baby killer".

So what other conclusion am I supposed I reach from the evidence save that real Christians who truly disagree with the OT fire and brmstone agenda are few and far between, either that or lack conviction?

Is this a "hard problem"? You bet it is, and I don't envy real Christians the internal conflicts they must feel as they face the possibility of extinction.
New And so real life
really is like all the sitcoms on TV?

Thats all that pop culture shows us...so it must be accurate. Unless, of course, real life doesn't make good press.

Which do you think is more accurate?
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I wouldn't know . . .
'cause my TV broke down in '58, so I don't really know if sitcoms reflect real life or not, any more than I know what sitcoms have to do with courage of conviction among Christians.
New ROFL I'm sure...
...that none of the people with those liberal bumper-stickers could have been Christian, huh.

Your argument here is meaningless; an attempt to rationalize.

Could it be that the Liberal Christians are less likely to shout political slogans in God's name? Nah, can't be, all Christians are just like the fundies - right?
]
Imric's Tips for Living

New Perhaps you should read what's written . . .
. . before responding with a simplistic absurdity.

My statement was clear enough that Christians, if they wish to protest the Fundies, feel they cannot do so in a Christian format, but must hide behind a "Liberal" label, which intense anti-liberal propaganda is making it more difficult for Christians to do.

Perhaps you would like to explain now how my statements imply that nobody posting those stickers and signs is a Christian?

New How about your statements... and conclusion.
Christians that don't behave as fundies do lack conviction? How is THAT inconsistent with my post?

'Hide behind a liberal label'? Where do you get THAT? Are you now implying that there is some kind of conflict between Christian and Liberal? I see none. Unless you are a neocon fundie; a minority group among those that call themselves Christian.

And if I misinterpreted "I have yet to see a single Christian bumper sticker proclaiming against the OT "Christians" who are hijacking your religion right out from under you. Not a single one. Ever." after "Daily I engage in conversations with people very vocal about their opposition to our "Rapturing Out" administration." (included with the paragraph re: bumper stickers), well, I think that my interpretation was fair, even if it was incorrect.

]
Imric's Tips for Living

New There is no fundamental conflict . . . .
. . between Christianity and Liberalism - however, the "Religious Right" has re-defined "Christian" and "Liberal" as diametrically opposed and found this a very effective mobilizer of less thoughtful voters. It has served well enough to seize an extrordinary control of the U.S. government.

This definition is far more vulnerable questioned from a Christian context than from a Liberal context from which questioning only helps build a confrontational atmosphere. Confrontation gives rabble rousers the upper hand, so as long as Christians fail to approach the problem from a Christian context the Fundies will have their way and their way of defining "Christian".
New hmm, wonder if these bumber stickers would sell
for Jesus against Republicans

Not in Jesus name Mr President

God Country and Democratic Party
thanx,
bill

New "God is a Liberal"
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I've seen at least one
Would Jesus bomb Iraq?

However I'll admit that they are rarer than hen's teeth, and I would like to see more of them.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Who are you calling hypocrites?
Just wanted to know if I'm on the list.

Thanks,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Nope - you're good when it comes to scope/categories.
Must be the math. *grin*

Really - how many times have I challenged you on this point?

The over-generalisations are working my nerve, though.
]
Imric's Tips for Living

New Just checking, thanks
     THEM - In their own words. - (tuberculosis) - (52)
         first picture - (boxley) - (1)
             ask those who invite her to speak - (tuberculosis)
         And through such as these the Devil doth define . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Amen. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Yabut, look at the bwight side: - (Ashton)
         Hypocrisy or double-think? - (warmachine) - (2)
             Not doublethink, just non-think! - (jb4)
             Look up, 'Promisekeepers' re Biblebelt shibboleths.. -NT - (Ashton)
         most revealing - (rcareaga) - (43)
             what is most interesting(edited to reflect Ashton's umbrage) - (boxley) - (1)
                 Please.. spare a premeditated castration of the idea 'fact' -NT - (Ashton)
             alarming to be sure - (tuberculosis) - (40)
                 Ain't gonna work - (warmachine)
                 take a priest out for dinner (not McDonalds no distractions) - (boxley) - (1)
                     Not interested in real ones - want to unmask pretenders - (tuberculosis)
                 Any of them. - (imric) - (36)
                     Umm - if 'perception is Everything' (?) - (Ashton) - (35)
                         I wouldn't normally support Aston on this.... - (Simon_Jester)
                         Horsecrap. - (imric) - (33)
                             Don't hang yourself quite yet - (broomberg) - (13)
                                 Logical flaw - (warmachine) - (4)
                                     Not so - (broomberg) - (3)
                                         Only applies to just over 20% of the US - (warmachine) - (2)
                                             Nit: 64% of voting age population voted in 2004. 8kB .img - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 In that case, 1 absentee per Bush voter. Just beat the UK. -NT - (warmachine)
                                 Then there are those of us who embrace absurdity - (ChrisR) - (7)
                                     +10 for clarity -NT - (boxley)
                                     Who said that? - (broomberg) - (5)
                                         Self-interest overrides all - (ChrisR) - (4)
                                             BTW. I believe in Santa Claus!!! - (ChrisR)
                                             I think it's more complex than self-interest. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 A good evaluation. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                     Damn good for brief. One complementary facet - - (Ashton)
                             not quite the same, is it? - (rcareaga) - (5)
                                 Doesn't matter, does it. - (imric) - (1)
                                     RE: Bigmouths - (tuberculosis)
                                 oooh, challenges :-) - (boxley) - (2)
                                     move to strike as non-responsive - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                         liberals do not define the term, rightwingers do - (boxley)
                             I see every day . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                 And so real life - (bepatient) - (1)
                                     I wouldn't know . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 ROFL I'm sure... - (imric) - (5)
                                     Perhaps you should read what's written . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                         How about your statements... and conclusion. - (imric) - (1)
                                             There is no fundamental conflict . . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     hmm, wonder if these bumber stickers would sell - (boxley) - (1)
                                         "God is a Liberal" -NT - (admin)
                                 I've seen at least one - (ben_tilly)
                             Who are you calling hypocrites? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Nope - you're good when it comes to scope/categories. - (imric) - (1)
                                     Just checking, thanks -NT - (ben_tilly)

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?
1,215 ms