IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If it's all Java, use Ant
There's nothing better for Java, in my opinion. Even with the XML, your build files will be smaller and easier to understand and maintain. Ant was created for the express purpose of compiling Java projects, and it makes a lot of things very easy.

Put together a sample to show them. Doing so should only take an hour or two.

If you're doing C/C++ programming as well, investigate SCons. It's python, and the build files are Python scripts. The Java support isn't the greatest, however, so I'd still use Ant for that.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Agreed
The variety of supported tasks is nothing short of amazing, especially when you leave the "core" tasks.

There are tasks to do just about everything you would want. Check stuff out of CVS (or just about any other source control system with the non-core tasks)? Yep. Tag the build? Yep. Create automated Javadocs? Yep. Run JUnit? Yep.

Additionally, if you want to get into things like automating your builds, you can use other projects such as [link|http://cruisecontrol.sf.net|Cruise Control], which have a similar XML-type syntax, and auto-recognize ant scripts.
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Re: If it's all Java, use Ant
I'll second that, with reservations. I've used Ant on a mid-sized project that had simple requirements (build the WAR file, run the tests, product the JavaDoc, etc.) and Ant was just fine once we got it set up with the Tomcat extensions. I'd use it again in similar circumstances.
     Ant or gnumake? - (bluke) - (20)
         Interesting comments by the creator of Ant - (bluke)
         What about jam? -NT - (pwhysall) - (9)
             Cherry, please. On toast and cheddar cheese. Yum! -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                 It's not just me, then. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     Few things are better than toasted fresh bread with butter. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         s/provides/prevents -NT - (tuberculosis)
                     Actually, I prefer orange on cheese, too. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         jam/conserve/preserve/confiture etc - (pwhysall)
             Food YES, build tool NO - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (boxley)
         If it's all Java, use Ant - (admin) - (2)
             Agreed - (Yendor)
             Re: If it's all Java, use Ant - (dws)
         Re: Ant or gnumake? - (JimWeirich) - (5)
             Gee, why is THAT not a surprise... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Re: Gee, why is THAT not a surprise... - (JimWeirich)
             OT - izzat a Breedlove you're hiding behind? - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                 Re: OT - izzat a Breedlove you're hiding behind? - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                     Re: OT - izzat a Breedlove you're hiding behind? - (Steve Lowe)

Kind of greenish blue, but not as greenish as, say, teal.
94 ms