Divorce is very hard.

I have seen enough of them to have an idea what Nick is going through.

And unfortunately, religious differences are a common cause of marital strife. A large part of the reason for that is that people take their faith seriously, and it is very hard not to speak when your beliefs say that someone you care deeply about is making a big mistake. This is true even though you know that speaking will cause conflict.

The one point on which I disagree with what Nick said is that I don't believe that people with faith are particularly advantaged in marriage. There hasn't been a strong correlation for people I know. Oh, divorces may be fewer, but that is partly because people remain in unhappy marriages. (I have seen some really nasty examples...) And while it is very helpful for people to have shared beliefs, etc, I believe that it is incredibly dangerous in a marriage to be overly confident that things will work out. Without constant input, marriages tend to go downhill. A little fear can go a long ways.

But that is water under the drawbridge. I don't know, nor should I try to guess, anything about Nick and Janice's situation. Instead the only thing I can offer are my condolences on a painful situation.

Regards,
Ben