FedEx attempted to deliver mine yesterday, but the SO was unfortunately away on sundry errands, and so unable to sign for it. Undeterred, I wheeled my extraordinarily rickety car (the front end of which, from the feel of it, will fall off one day soon) onto the freeway and drove the five miles to their Oakland Airport facility to retrieve it. Installation went without incident. Amusingly enough, my copy bears the label "Family Pack: for up to five computers." Damned kind of Apple, and I intend to take them up on it.

I haven't noticed a performance hit (slightly the contrary, if anything), but this laptop is not a production machine, and the indexing procedure likely did not involve any heavy lifting. Spotlight, BTW, is very impressive—not as sexy as Dashboard, but given the somewhat casual approaches to file organization and file-naming I have failed to outgrow since Mac HDs became roomy enough to make this an issue, it's a lifesaver. I could use this at work, where I am frequently called upon to produce and modify files from 2001, 1999 or earlier, but alas, the B&W tower they bought me six years ago may be the last new machine I'll ever see before I retire in another few years...

cordially,