IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Installed and running okay so far

It's a bit slow at first because Spotlight is indexing all your files, so be patient.

Also, at first, it seemed like all my apps were crashing or hanging. (Well, Quicktime, Safari and Firefox, anyway.) I did a quick reboot (and boot up is definitely faster) and everything seems to be working fine.

Safari is wicked fast and I found some "Quicktime 7 only " trailers at Apple's site, so I'm checking them out. It kind of sucks that I have to pay for Quicktime Pro all over again, though.

The Power Mac is getting the Erase and Install treatment even as we speak.
Tom Sinclair

"This is a lovely party," said the Bursar to a chair, "I wish I was here."
-- The Bursar is a man under a *lot* of stress
(Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)
New Same here
I had to run back to Fry's - the firewire/USB enclosure I'd picked up for the "backup drive" kept turning itself off. Got a different model that was firewire only.
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New Anyone playing with iChat 3?

Now that it has Jabber support, I was trying to set it up to connect to the
IWETHEY server. I'm not sure I configured it right (and I did RTFM), though, so if
I could compare notes with one of y'all...

On an unrelated note, it looks like Spotlight will take some getting used to.
Tom Sinclair

"This is a lovely party," said the Bursar to a chair, "I wish I was here."
-- The Bursar is a man under a *lot* of stress
(Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)
New Still waiting for my copy to arrive
I did read the docs for coredata last night and immediately flame the developers for exactly the short sightedness I expected from them a couple months ago.

Specifically, there is no way to write your own data store adaptor as the api remains private. So you can't use CD with legacy file formats. As the team was so busy being secretive and working in a vacuum, I was quite certain they'd bone the poodle in some way and they have lived down to my expectations. Seems they never bothered to think CD would be useful for editing a specifically formatted file like an RSS document.

RSS would be a great CD app as it has a well defined structure from which you can extract an object model, but it requires a particular file format as well.

To quote Asimov - Stupid Asses.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Also still waiting.
Tap tap tap pace pace pace check Amazon's shipping thinger tap tap tap pace pace pace.

This is quite sad, getting this anticipatory over a point release of an OS.

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New 21 hours in
FedEx attempted to deliver mine yesterday, but the SO was unfortunately away on sundry errands, and so unable to sign for it. Undeterred, I wheeled my extraordinarily rickety car (the front end of which, from the feel of it, will fall off one day soon) onto the freeway and drove the five miles to their Oakland Airport facility to retrieve it. Installation went without incident. Amusingly enough, my copy bears the label "Family Pack: for up to five computers." Damned kind of Apple, and I intend to take them up on it.

I haven't noticed a performance hit (slightly the contrary, if anything), but this laptop is not a production machine, and the indexing procedure likely did not involve any heavy lifting. Spotlight, BTW, is very impressive—not as sexy as Dashboard, but given the somewhat casual approaches to file organization and file-naming I have failed to outgrow since Mac HDs became roomy enough to make this an issue, it's a lifesaver. I could use this at work, where I am frequently called upon to produce and modify files from 2001, 1999 or earlier, but alas, the B&W tower they bought me six years ago may be the last new machine I'll ever see before I retire in another few years...

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
     Getting ready for Tiger - (tjsinclair) - (8)
         Look who beat us to it! - (SpiceWare) - (7)
             Except for this: - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                 Installed and running okay so far - (tjsinclair) - (5)
                     Same here - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                         Anyone playing with iChat 3? - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                             Still waiting for my copy to arrive - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                 Also still waiting. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     21 hours in - (rcareaga)

*SHUN*
62 ms