IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Don't think so.
I'm pretty sure it was a Z10. Company name might have been Zilog? I think they make chips for embedded products now.
When I visit the aquarium, the same thought keeps running through my mind;
Leemmmooonnn, Buuttteerrr, MMMmmmmmm good!
New Z10? Not Z80?
Z80 were in CP/M machines.

A Google search for "zilog z80"
returns 4,630 pages.

A Google search for "zilog z10"
returns none.

Are you sure it was a PC compatible?
New Am I sure?
Yeah, it was a PC clone. What I'm not sure of is the name of the chip and/or the company that made it. I am positive it was not a NEC chip though. The Z80 sounds vaguely familiar. I do remember that the chip was faster than a comparable Intel chip. 4.77 vs 8 MHz? 8 vs 10 MHz? You know your getting old when you can't remember what you once used for bragging rights.
New Well, the V20 was compatible with Intel 8088 used by IBM...
i.e. pin compatible and machine instruction compatible as well. It is 16-bit processor with an 8-bit data bus. Functionally it is equivalent to he Intel 8086 which had a 16-bit data bus.

NEC V30 was pin compatible with Intel 8086.

The NEC chips had a better design for integer math operations (link says ~15%). My wife had an IBM PS/2 Model 25 whose 8086 I replaced with a V30. The improvement was not large, but noticeable.

[link|http://lowendpc.com/tech/8086.shtml|Link.]

The Zilog/Mostek Z-80, which I knew quite well, was compatible with the Intel 8080 but had many additional machine instructions. The 8080 and Z-80 chips were used on the S-100 Bus machines of the pre-PC period. I built one of these Z-80 machines almost from scratch. e.g. designed, laid out, and etched copper for the processor board, etc. Anyway, the 8-bit data of 8080/Z-80 vs. (internal) 16-bit data of 8088 (and 8086) difference are such you could not run DOS programs on it. In other words, the programming model of the CPUs are different.

[link|http://vmoc.museophile.com/cards/|Here's a list of other micros.] Pick one. But if you were PC compatible and not Intel, it was probably a NEC V20/V30.

Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Z80 - 8088
NEC also made a chip, I think it was called the N300 that executed Z80 instructions but was clock and buss compatible with the 8088. This allowed a machine to have both Z80 and 8088 compatible CPUs on the same board. My Octagon 8/16 S100 machine had this and could boot CP/M-80, CP/M-86 Concurrent CP/M-86 and MS-DOS.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Damn. I used to have a memory that worked.
It was the NEC V20. I think. It also had the 10 Meg hard drive that failed all over the place. I splurged and got a 20 meg to replace it for (IIRC) ~$300. Things are coming back to me. I bought a fancy dancy CGA monitor with a hercules video card to go along with this technical marvel. I replaced and upgraded various parts of the system over the years until nothing of the original was left. I am still using its spiritual succesor.
New Sigh...
The Zilog/Mostek Z-80, which I knew quite well, was compatible with the Intel 8080 but had many additional machine instructions. The 8080 and Z-80 chips were used on the S-100 Bus machines of the pre-PC period. I built one of these Z-80 machines almost from scratch. e.g. designed, laid out, and etched copper for the processor board, etc.

It's stories like that which make me wish I had been born 10 years earlier. :(
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Another machine from the earlier days...
In grad school in 1985 or so I got to play with an [link|http://www.coho.org/~pete/IPC/integral.html|HP Integral Personal Computer]. It was a "luggable" lunch-box-like portable computer. Moto 68000, 1 MB RAM (512 kB standard), built-in 9" yellow on black (or reverse) EL graphics display. Built-in inkjet printer. Had a new-fangled built-in 700 kB floppy drive (disks were $70 for a box of 10). Ran HP-UX 5 out of ROM. Had a built-in HP-IB interface for attaching to instrumentation, external hard drives, etc.

The school was evaluating them as required PCs for the program. The list price was something like $7500 and we were getting them for a little under $5000.

It was a nice machine, but too expensive for the students.

That's when companies weren't afraid to innovate. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
     Intel and Rambus out to jointly screw the PC world - (tonytib) - (28)
         Intel-free... - (inthane-chan) - (14)
             Well, Intel is also litigation happy (e.g. suing VIA) - (tonytib)
             MeToo (tm) come to think of it. - (Meerkat)
             Never owned an Intel based PC - (Silverlock) - (11)
                 You mean the NEC V20 chip, an improvement on Intel 8088? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
                     Don't think so. - (Silverlock) - (7)
                         Z10? Not Z80? - (broomberg) - (1)
                             Am I sure? - (Silverlock)
                         Well, the V20 was compatible with Intel 8088 used by IBM... - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                             Z80 - 8088 - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Damn. I used to have a memory that worked. - (Silverlock)
                             Sigh... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 Another machine from the earlier days... - (Another Scott)
                     NEC V20 - (nking) - (1)
                         Well, you would have had to change the crystal as well. - (a6l6e6x)
         I thought Microsoft was...? - (static)
         Since we're going all nostalgic - (wharris2) - (11)
             I remember a rash of "upgradable" PCs. - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                 Wasn't upgradable PC - (wharris2) - (8)
                     I remember - (nking) - (7)
                         It's been on-going - (wharris2) - (6)
                             Tandy 1000 series - (nking) - (5)
                                 History redux - (wharris2) - (4)
                                     Is he selling any of them? - (nking) - (3)
                                         That's not his purpose - (wharris2) - (2)
                                             What is his purpose? - (nking) - (1)
                                                 What's money? - (wharris2)
             Similar - (hnick)

Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?
56 ms