IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It can be addictive, yes.
Like chemical addictions, a lot of practices are okay so long as they are never tried, or tried only a small number of times. The psychological "high" they can produce can be intoxicating and too much of such intoxication engenders addiction. In addition, addictions often fulfill faulty belief or value systems in the addict, so, again yes, they are learnt, one way or another. (This goes double for someone looking for "another high" and therefore dabbling deliberately in Sado-Masochism, for example - there is the expectation of arousal coupled with the knowledge that people do find arousal, so the one feeds the other. It can get very complex.)

I've been doing some study about addictions. :-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Fascinating!
I've been doing some study about addictions. :-)

Can I ask what sorts of study? (If it isn't being nosy?)

Too often people consider addictions only to be chemical, or other, like drinking, smoking, drugs. Addictions can be anything. I was addicted to people, for example, for a long long time (thankfully, one person at a time, though).

...In addition, addictions often fulfill faulty belief or value systems in the addict, so, again yes, they are learnt, one way or another. (This goes double for someone looking for "another high" ...

That's what I did. I felt I wouldn't be "okay" unless I saw a glimpse of this person, (whichever person it was at the time), or heard their voice, or etc. I could get a "high" from the smallest thing, in one case, just watching their vehicle drive by.

It was all in my head of course, that seeing this person made me ok. It didn't really. In fact, later when I undertook the task of becoming "un-codependent", I learned it was actually the times when I was addicted to people that I was definitely NOT okay.

I'm so happy I've learned to have real friendships, (instead of addictions), and a real relationship with someone (instead of being co-dependent on my significant other). It took a lot to change it though, and I still consider myself to be an addictive personality, i.e. I have the ability to be one.

This is why I never drink, smoke or take drugs... I'm certain I would be instantly hooked, and it would probably be infinitely harder to break those addictions than it was to break my "needy" one for people.

Brenda

"The people of the world having once been deceived, suspect deceit in truth itself." -- Hitopadesa 600?-1100? AD, Sanskrit Fable From Panchatantr
Expand Edited by Nightowl March 29, 2005, 12:07:29 PM EST
     S&M as a cure-all - (broomberg) - (17)
         Well, if I ever feel depressed and suicidal . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
             ICLRPD2 (new thread) - (Arkadiy)
         A hard work out will do the same thing - (bionerd) - (1)
             Well, if t's done right... -NT - (imric)
         It is amazing... - (ben_tilly) - (11)
             My 1st thought -NT - (broomberg) - (8)
                 Ditto, and my second thought was... - (ben_tilly)
                 My first thought was quite different. - (static) - (6)
                     Huh? Izzat how it works? RU sure? Where'd you get that from? -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                         It is known that that kind of activity can be addictive. - (static) - (4)
                             But this wasn't about just "sex", but *Sado-Masochism*. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 It can be addictive, yes. - (static) - (1)
                                     Fascinating! - (Nightowl)
                                 We had an interesting case here in Los Angeles . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Well, I'm going to recommend this to Governor Arnold . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Then__?__must. be. punished. for lying -NT - (Ashton)

Everyone said the hamster catapult wasn't appropriate for the science fair, but no one could stop watching.
66 ms