IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mental exercise of a sort
Strange as it seems, it [link|http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991591|apparently works]!

Cheers,
Ben
New Heh.. these guys need to get around more.
Moishe Feldenkrais (a physicist) is usually credited with such method(ology).

My Feldenkrais teacher was hit by a car, a few years ago - before I met her. She'd been an athletics-obsessed person prior. I can't recall the litany of things screwed up in the crash (she was walking, not inside a car). When she could barely move anything.. and the MDs were acclimating her towards --> a veritable paraplegic life next:

She had herself carried into some F. class nearby. Went through just such exercises, a part of learning how it is that you control your muscles. Visualizing (gedanken experiment?) as if you were moving them, practicing that - enabled her to rapidly progress to being able to move them. Gradually she became able to move body parts which were simply.. not responding at all, before.

She is today lithe as a mime or an acrobat. Still has some pains associated, and probably some angles she cannot attain - but to anyone not-her: she appears as fit as any pro athlete.

Since I have an incipient spinal 'scoliosis' (medicine is constitutionally unable to call a 'bend' a bend) I have been attending for some months now. She is also gifted at 'talking' one's way into noticing -- what most of us go through a lifetime never ever paying attention to. And this method is not about "monkey see, monkey do" - you need to find out just how (and now many!) minor movements work, and notice that the entire spine/body moves in synchrony with what you think: is just an arm, or finger 'moving'.

Many folks have almost-fused sternums, pelvis-spine connections and.. most ribs - through disuse and not ever noticing. But all these need to move freely, even to walk properly! This is stuff which could be taught to children (they become savvy Fast in F. classes - not yet having learned bad adult habits) And is: in Switzerland for one! (where F. lived).

I can't say I have seen yet A Miracle, but I am seeing progress, where your usual allopath had no solutions to offer except: accept the inevitable. Mine is measurable change, if not yet complete repair - so I will persist.

It's always amusing (while remaining appalling) - the keen sense of Discovery! of the (especially US-trained) allopaths - when they happen onto various effective treatments never dreamed of in their philosophy, Horatio. Apparently neither genuine curiosity nor a particularly high intelligence is required in most med. schools here (but a good memory for Latin! and pharm-chem). And Boy do it show. Vet. schools are much *harder* to get into, a cohort discovered years ago.

(Your wife, no doubt - shall prove an average raiser! :-)

Cheers,

Ashton
New sports psychology
This is an extension of the "imagine yourself doing it, and then do it" training technique. It's been a standard part of sports training for elite athletes for many years. You can get a quick introduction [link|http://sportsmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa091700.htm|here].
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New A bit more than that I think...
There is no question that quality visualization helps build up reflex pathways. Certainly if you have to reason through movements you will not do them as quickly, precisely and surely as you will if you have a reflex. Furthermore mixing visualization with practice, then feeding back to visualization creates a very good feedback loop. (Indeed there is some research suggesting that this is one of the reasons people have dreams.)

Thus even if the only benefits to visualization are mental, it would be a worthwhile thing to do for atheletes.

But all of those reasons and research do nothing to suggest that there would be a gain in pure physical strength with no physical exertion. (Though the effect had been, as Ashton noted, observed before.)

Cheers,
Ben
New Hm. Surely there might be a few
million $ for commercializing this --

It is after all the Holy Grail of American Merchandising: a method of decreasing weight and/or increasing muscle tone without either (a) increasing physical exertion or (b) decreasing food intake.

Visualizing a program on the TeeVee, rather like aerobics as visualized by Eric Idle -- the emcee leading the (dis)assembled couch potatoes in their visualization exercises, as across the land, Great Deeds are done (in the mind only) by millions. Do you suppose we could get Ron Popeil? Or would Paco (from Sabado Gigante) be better? --commercial breaks for McDonalds and Stouffer's every five minutes or so.

As Ashton says, Cackle Cackle Cackle ...
Regards,
Ric
New Ah but you see..
Red Herring.

There is a hideous price to be paid - by Murican standards:

..not for the faint of heart, this.

..I accept no responsibility for burst aneurysms.

[you were warned]
You must Pay Attention to achieve any benefit. (No, you can't buy a surrogate to do it for you.)

See? never become popular, obviously.
The orange Cackle.. is not permitted for Tyros..
New As Ashton says, not. This is useful though.
I mean, how long would you watch a show where someone was saying, "OK, raise your arms slowly, feel the exertion..."?

Bo-ring!

But, as in the example that Ashton gave, official recognition of this has immense implications for therapy. Due to injury, many people each year are put in casts, forced into bed rest, etc. Do not sneer at the value of therapies that can be used by these people to limit how much their muscles atrophy!

Cheers,
Ben
New Howzabout THIS for a commercial application?
Video and sound drivers for the PC that subliminally flash suggestions:

"Imagine lifting weights",

"Visualize running a mile as fast as you can"

and such - Imagine... It could be healthy to spend as much time as possible @ the computer... I'm thinking about the implications for longer-term space flight, as well.

Bene-Gesserit exercises!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Imric: go to your room. No supper; no joystick.
New From the trenches..
You are quite right - the 'dialogue' indeed sounds the ipitome of b o r i n g. Especially written as prose.

Ex.
You might be lying on your back, relaxed. Asked to,

Notice your breathing.
Notice how your legs feel. Is there any difference in the way the heel points the foot on left or right leg. Curl the toes of the right foot downwards. Return - now just the big toe ...

Notice your breathing.

Very slowly.. rotate your head to the right. S l o w l y, so that a butterfly perched on your nose would not be scared away (!). Does this seem to occur in small-jerks? Can you find a way to move smoothly? Slower..

Notice your breathing..

Relax the jaw. As you rotate your head right, move your eyes left. Smoothly. Slower. Now let the eyes follow the head ... ...

See? Sounds, well.. And indeed there is much in the voice delivery. And timing. And there are more details explored in various motions; this is a tiny preview.

But when you eventually stand-up (and most people do not know how to do that 'with least energy, stress' etc.!) and slowly walk around: you Notice things. Cumulatively.

I think the largest buffer here is the Murican fantasy of pill pushing for every 'discomfort' - expecting instant remedy requiring 0 participation / just $. Our culture is conditioned to regard all but allopathy as quackish. We are accustomed to this so deeply - all else is easily dismissed as hogwash.

Oink,

Ashton
who treats All 'therapies' skeptically, but will suspend disbelief long enough for an honest try. YMMV with the quality of the practitioner and your effort - as ever.
New Notice your breathing...zzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New I'm not ridiculing the technique as such;
I've used a home-brewed variant of it for years, primarily just before sleeping. For me, the hard part is relaxing; what we're talking about is a variant of a whole slew of "meditation" techniques. True, allopathic medicine is seen as a short cut, and Americans tend to be really into short cuts; but things don't have to be beneficial to 100% of the individuals in the population to have some overall benefit. IOW I see: no reason this couldn't work, much experience of my own to suggest it does, and a great possible benefit from it. I was simply suggesting a spinoff; the Ronco version, as it were.

And really, consider that millions of television "viewers" take in, oh, things like Home and Garden TV, in which watching grass grow is one of the more interesting things. Golf. The shopping networks (if those people are able to make shopping fascinating -- as they apparently do -- there is no limit to what can be accomplished). My wife left for an evening out with the neighbor, and left the TV on -- HGTV is currently announcing an exciting half-hour program devoted to watching other people house hunt. And they have viewers. And advertisers. I rest my case.

As for restrictions on tyros, þbbt!
Regards,
Ric
     Mental exercise of a sort - (ben_tilly) - (11)
         Heh.. these guys need to get around more. - (Ashton)
         sports psychology - (cforde) - (9)
             A bit more than that I think... - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                 Hm. Surely there might be a few - (Ric Locke) - (7)
                     Ah but you see.. - (Ashton)
                     As Ashton says, not. This is useful though. - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         Howzabout THIS for a commercial application? - (imric) - (1)
                             Imric: go to your room. No supper; no joystick. -NT - (Ashton)
                         From the trenches.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Notice your breathing...zzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         I'm not ridiculing the technique as such; - (Ric Locke)

Truthful and transparent is great, but we don’t even have a coherent strategy to obfuscate.
76 ms