IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New you dont haveanyone that can score agram of mexican brown?
agree with Ben, I dont want to have a tissue match while in a coma and never wake up.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New I don't
and its rather hard to do from a hospital bed.

But hey - lets talk about the end of Million Dollar Baby.

Justified or wrong do you think? My view is it was exactly the right compassionate thing to do and what I'd want done for me.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:47:40 AM EDT
New dunno about the movie havnt seen it
do have compacts with a couple of trusted people to see me right if badly brain damaged with noapparent recovery process
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 48 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Disagree
Without having seen the movie, but listening to discussions about it.

Decision was made too soon, without rehab options provided.

Close to home. My wife fell in 2001. Went from "fully functioning adult" to needing a wheelchair to get around. Can hobble around the house with a cain. She is in constant pain.

The depression she went through the first couple of years was horrible. She was ready to give up many times. After some therapy, anti-depressants, and lots of TLC, she has accepted her condition. She has what I'd consider a low "qualitiy of life", but for the most part she is now happy. And yes, she still does regret what has happened, "Why me?".

Back to the movie, if the decision was made two years after the incident, and after application of therapy, then maybe it was the right decision. I know that I would not want to "live" with a significant loss of function, but that's the thought coming from "looking at the glass half empty". After an injury, including my wife's, one must learn to look at the glass as half full.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New What therapy?
She went from successful athelete to full quad. Endured a couple of amputations due to circulation problems in extremities. At that point she called it. Who could possibly blame her?

I wouldn't have waited that long myself.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:52:32 AM EDT
New It's all in adjusting
One of my former clients had been a police officer. Something happened (don't remember or never knew) and he became paralyzed. Totally except for blinking and mouth (gutteral sounds only). I had to fix his computer. He had an system where he could operate his computer by puffing into a mouthpiece. He could "type" almost as fast as I could. His computer is how he communictated with the world. He was some type of consultant and replied via email.

He had to have 24x7 assistance, someone to feed him, change his position, clean him, etc. Not exactly how I would want to live, but he was satisfied.

Instead of the focus being on the loss of functionality, which is the "grieving process", the focus needs to be moved to what can I still accomplish.

And some people will decide "nothing" and give up.

As I stated before, it took my wife over a year to come to grips with the fact that she was never going to walk normally again, that she would never regain her upper body strength, and that she would be in constant pain.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New The point is - both chose eh?
Your wife (who must be very strong) made her choice.

Hillary Swank's character made hers.

I'm pretty sure I know what mine would be. I just want to make sure we can all chose.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:52:47 AM EDT
New I'm weaker still.
If I ever fail my medical, it'll be the hardest thing for me not to lose significant interest in life. Right now I know my daughters still need me. But if I lost my medical when they are in college (or older) I can't honestly say how I'd handle that.
bcnu,
Mikem

Eine Leute. Eine Welt. Ein F\ufffdhrer.
God Bless America.
New My dad took up gliders
for a little while.

Ultimately he turned to boats.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:55:14 AM EDT
New We gotta lot of soaring at C62.
Not uncommon to see 5-8 up at a time during the summer. Every pilot I know that flies powered and un-powered prefers soaring. I've never been in one. My 14 year old is about ready to solo though. The add-on is only 10 tows/landings and a check ride. My instructor and several of my airport buds have sworn to get me in one this summer.
bcnu,
Mikem

God Bless America.
New Medical requirements are much lower for recreational soaring
vs private pilot.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:56:52 AM EDT
New Same for sport flying.
And I think I'd like flying a Cub more than soaring ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

God Bless America.
New Some adjustments take a very long time.
My fiance is a case point. She injured her lower back eleven years ago trying to lift a patient. She had a partial discectomy which was successful, but injured the next vertebrate in the same way 2 or 3 years later. The second operation wasn't so successful. She has been living with the pain and the drug cocktail to combat it for most of those eleven years. One of those drugs is an anti-depressant because the constant pain does make her depressed. She's tried to take her life a few times.

The quality of life issue is important. Her quality of life now isn't what it was twelve years ago, but it is quite a bit better than four years ago (part of that is impending nuptials :-). But the adjustment is still occurring. She still misses what she used to be able to do - but a lot of that is probably gone forever. She is still resisting accepting that.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

This is timely - (tuberculosis) - (31)
         Though I agree with him, he does a disservice in his piece. - (Another Scott) - (17)
             And there is a major complicating factor - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                 Yup. But in many cases that doesn't apply. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     You probably hate what China does with organ transplants - (ben_tilly)
             I think you misunderstand the position - (tuberculosis) - (13)
                 The problem, as some see it, is the slippery slope. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                     You're going to have to draw me a picture - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                         Here's a picture - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                             Here's ours (Belgium) - (scoenye) - (2)
                                 Thanks. Sounds like a good system. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Depends on the severity of the injury - (scoenye)
                         Think of social pressure - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                             There are models - this is being done successfully - (tuberculosis)
                             Stricktly speaking, we do that now.... - (Simon_Jester)
                 As well we know, any admirably straightforward solution - (Ashton) - (3)
                     It's more than pure religious zeal... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                         You can't do that. - (bepatient)
                         Of course there is___lubricity. - (Ashton)
         you dont haveanyone that can score agram of mexican brown? - (boxley) - (12)
             I don't - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                 dunno about the movie havnt seen it - (boxley)
                 Disagree - (jbrabeck) - (9)
                     What therapy? - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                         It's all in adjusting - (jbrabeck) - (7)
                             The point is - both chose eh? - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                 I'm weaker still. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                     My dad took up gliders - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                         We gotta lot of soaring at C62. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                             Medical requirements are much lower for recreational soaring - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                 Same for sport flying. - (mmoffitt)
                             Some adjustments take a very long time. - (static)

The Readers Digest of All and Everything cha cha.
133 ms