The UK folk have much stricter (and enforced) rules about pretrial via paparazzi. The norm here has been Condit Cuntumely, since I can recall.

I'd think that, to change this attitude is likely impossible; we prefer gossip -and immediately!- much more than we care about the plight of the mere person (less'n it's *Me*) and his/her next chances - trying to survive here.

And if little kids don't explore these consequences first-hand in school: like say, experience that whispering campaign amongst the clique s/he's not a member of?

Well then.. we get Columbines (for the early pissed-off) and we get Condits and (the guy with the satchel, at the Olympics bombing: destroyed and only quite belatedly ... ... apologized to. Remember?)

Guess I conclude that, only a tiny minority of Muricans understand and revere (?) the wisdom within and between the lines of the Constitution. Most just periodically wave it like The Flag, for dramatic effect. Ashcroft, Condit, OJ, the Bill C. 'Impeachment' Show - all demonstrate what Muricans really 'believe' in - simplistic EZ slogans and infotainment, not er Principles.

My hope is that Ashcroft runs with it.. so far and so fast that, even the Mall Shoppers will pause -in mid-CC-retrieval- and look around at the Disappeared* and the disappearing personal Rights. [??]

* we can learn something from Argentina, Chile et al about The Disappeared. (At least the few Muricans who know shit about - even where those countries are located?)

Ashcroft: litmus test for (any) remaining Consciousness.

Ashton