IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ideal Wintel hardware
What exactly is "Ideal Wintel Hardware" anyway?

None of the Packard Bell or Compaq or Dell or Gateway boxes, I take it?

Just name brand hardware with brand names on it, not generic cheap knock-off cheapie PC Clones that nobody knows where to get support from as the OEM didn't put their name on the hardware or address or phone number in the manual (which is written in broken-English anyway)?

If you mean that VPC emulates ABit Motherboards (Award BIOS), with TNT2 AGP display adapters, 3Com network cards, Creative Labs Sound Blaster 128 cards, etc instead of the Niehan-Deska Generic PC crap that nobody can ID to find new drivers for, or the proprietary Name Brand systems that are Packard Bell Reborn? Is that what you mean?

The good "Ideal Wintel Hardware" should run fine with any Windows version, and not suffer from hardware bugs or problems with the drivers.

Even if you have "Ideal Wintel Hardware" or an emulator that emulates "Ideal Wintel Hardware" you still have to put up with DLL-Hell, and other stuff that the software suffers from. Hardware is only like half of the issues.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Agreed
HW is only part of the story. DLL Hell is still a real possibility. (But remember people are using VPC for only a few apps part of the time. Otherwise why not just buy a PC?)

As for what 'ideal' means, I have no clue. I only know that I ran Win95 for about three years without a single blue screen and discussions with other VPC owners showed they had similar experiences.

New I have an idea what Ideal might be.
The most stable Windows 95 installation I ever had was a 486 Vesa Local Bus PC. I had such a beast at work for several years, initially with DOS and Windows 3.1, but I got to upgrade it to Windows 95 during our first forays into supporting Win95 on the LAN, at the time, Banyan VINES.

I never had to re-install it. Ever. And it had numerous beta-issue Windows VINES drivers installed and de-installed. I suspect Microsoft had just such a platform in abundance for developing and testing on. Hence the stability.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Well thats it - time for some big changes !!!!! - (dmarker2) - (17)
         Yay from a fellow iBook owner who hasnt PC'd in 5 weeks :) -NT - (Meerkat)
         Ah, the Apple mouse... (a bit OT) - (tjsinclair) - (7)
             Re: Ah, the etc: - Installed Win98 under VPC - (dmarker2) - (6)
                 VPC and Macs - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                     Most interesting comment! - (Ashton)
                     Ideal Wintel hardware - (orion) - (2)
                         Agreed - (tjsinclair)
                         I have an idea what Ideal might be. - (static)
                 VPC - (tjsinclair)
         Re: OPERA - on verge of dumping it - need advice - (dmarker2) - (4)
             Some suggestions. - (static) - (3)
                 Eudora for MacOS - (tjsinclair)
                 Agent string setting - (mhuber) - (1)
                     Yes, it enables more objects. - (static)
         Look at what can be in your future. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             That's for Windows - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 You're absolutely right! - (a6l6e6x)

It's Lord of the Flies, but with iPhones.
152 ms