IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Mac mini as server
In this weeks I, Cringely, he talks with Wil Shipley of Delicious Monster Software - [link|http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050127.html|Dethroning King Gillette - Is iPod the Razor or the Blade?]
"For us little guys, the Mac mini is the absolute perfect server. I'm hooking up two identical external drives to each Mac mini (total of four), each two set up as a RAID 1. (Each drive is slightly bigger than the mini.) The chances of losing data via disk failure are astronomically low this way. And if a motherboard crashes, I can swap in the other box -- I have a $500 hot-backup OF THE WHOLE MACHINE. I have a complete server 'closet' that fits in less than a cubic foot. It's quiet. It's got a redundant RAID built-in. It's easy to administer and set up. I share a monitor and keyboard with my main workstation, so I don't have any extra clutter. Look out, Linux."
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://spiceware.org/gallery/ArtisticOverpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New That thing is going to spark a wave of innovation
because now you can buy a computer "just to see" if something will work out. I'd never blow a couple grand on a machine just to be the dvd player/stereo. But $500 isn't so bad.

I've got an old B&W G3 server I picked up on ebay to be a file server - its got my cvs repository on it and all the laptops isync all the keychains and user prefs/software licenses and user data files to it. It cost me $350. One of these days I'll add a blog to it.

I'd never have one of those if I had to pay a couple grand for it though.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New You mean, Microsoft's going to copy it? :-)
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Maybe - but I meant innovation, not Innovation(tm)

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
     Mac mini as server - (SpiceWare) - (3)
         That thing is going to spark a wave of innovation - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             You mean, Microsoft's going to copy it? :-) -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
                 Maybe - but I meant innovation, not Innovation(tm) -NT - (tuberculosis)

Truthful and transparent is great, but we don’t even have a coherent strategy to obfuscate.
42 ms