IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: The new hawks
Along similiar line...

[link|http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4301679,00.html|This raging colossus]

What the events of the past few days have starkly revealed is that the US had only one interest in this war in Afghanistan, capturing Bin Laden and destroying al-Qaida; that imperative outstripped all considerations of Afghanistan's future. So the timing of the attack was decided by US military preparedness rather than any coherent political strategy for the region, and the US war aim determined the crucial switch in tactics around November 4 when the US decided to throw its weight behind the unsavoury Northern Alliance by bombing the Taliban frontlines.

For the US, the whole country of Afghanistan is collateral damage. Or, to put it another way, a little hors d'oeuvre before they move on to the next course - Somalia, Yemen or, most worryingly of all, Iraq? The latter is already being openly touted in Washington as a possibility for the "second stage" and tension is growing in the Gulf region.

New Bad, bad US.
They don't want to take a whole country and lift it from Dark Ages to modern times. And look at them! Their military operations start when the military is ready, not when some politician decides it's time to play soldiers. How dare they limit their goals to capturing the worst criminal ever and destroying his network! The goal should be to right every wrong in Afghanistan, before moving on to other countries sorely in need of healing, like "Somalia, Yemen or, most worryingly of all, Iraq".

Your requests are indeed ridiculous. But the funniest part is - they are being fulfilled. We have _no_ obligations toward Afghanistan. If we ever had any, ity was fulfilled when Soviets were thrown out. But we'll help them anyway, mostly out of self-interest. Not because they have a right to our help.
New Re: Bad, bad US.
It's sad that you appear to be reading but not comprehending or simply choose to overlook the real intent of the article.

You don't like it when you perceive that folks are "forcing" their views on you. So what do you think the millions of folks in ME and other parts of the world think?

Or does their views on how the US is "forcing" its view on them NOT matter?

Think about it...
New "forcing"
Setting aside all the rediculous demands on US that the article makes, could you explain the meaning of the word "force", v. ?

I noticed that you use it mostly in quotes, so the meaning you attach to it is probably different from the one in dictionary. Would you care to elaborate? In what sence do we "force" our views on them?
New Re: "forcing"
>Setting aside all the rediculous demands on US that the article makes, could you explain the meaning of the word "force", v. ?

I would start by asking you to clarify why you consider those "demands" ridiculous?

By ridiculing another's opinion without clarification on why it is ridiculous, isn't that forcing your views upon others?
New Re: "Forcing"
Well, I thought that I've shown that simply concentrating those demands and taking them to the logical conclusions makes them _sound_ ridiculous. I guess you disagree. I also guess we'd disagree on a great deal of other stuff.

But, I fail to see how my srcasm (failed sarcasm too, apparently - you did not find my version ridiculous, did you?) of the article's author position is "forcing" anything on you. I am still waiting for the definition of the "force".
Expand Edited by Arkadiy Nov. 21, 2001, 02:11:12 PM EST
New Re: "Forcing"
I'll redirect you [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=19003|here].

That's the premise.

If you follow that premise, then you probably will come to the same conclusion that the author of the article you tried to be sarcastic with arrived at.

If you choose ONLY to view US as the only victim, I can understand how you would consider her article ridiculous.

2 sides to a coin. More in life.

You can choose to only see from a purely US-centric POV. Or you can try the, dare I say it, OTHER side(s).

As to the "" on "force"... think coercion, think "Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists" (Really?!)

New My conclusions.
There are 2 ways to look at this. First, let's try the logical way.

Please tell me what did we do that makes it wrong to respond to 9/11 events the way we did? An acceptable example would be American corporation or governement wilfully killing thousand of innocents and being happy about it.

The less logfical way, the way I really feel, is:

So they feel offended. If they think _they_ were offended by whatever we did before, let them see how offended we are by what they did. We'll go all the way, including but not limited to sealing off that part of the world, to prevent this from happening again.If they want to deal with civilized people nowadays, they'll need to learn that there are no economical/diplomatic offences worth killing thousands in 45 minutes.

Here is an alternative scenario for you to concider:

Suppose the biggest mosque in Saudy Arabia gets hit by a cruse missile. In 20 minutes, the king's palace is hit as well. All that on Friday, during prayer hours. The missiles are immediately traced to US manufacturers. US Department of Defence says that they did not do it, but those Arabs had it coming (they are all terrorists anyway) and US Government was glad that it happened. Saudis demand investigation. US answers that Mr. Rumsfield is a high administration official and they will not even consider investigating.

Does it sound outlandish? Think why...
New Re: My conclusions.
And we come back to square one...

I'll point you to [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=10116|the list]

And [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=10221|here's] my reply to Bepatient (22th Sept).

>Here is an alternative scenario for you to concider:

>Suppose the biggest mosque in Saudy Arabia gets hit by a cruse missile. In 20 minutes, the king's palace is hit as well. All that on Friday, during prayer hours. The missiles are immediately traced to US manufacturers. US Department of Defence says that they did not do it, but those Arabs had it coming (they are all terrorists anyway) and US Government was glad that it happened. Saudis demand investigation. US answers that Mr. Rumsfield is a high administration official and they will not even consider investigating.

You forgot something in your "analogy", the Saudis have tons of nukes and $$$ and are using those as chips to dictate US policies. Oh wait, you didn't put those in since you know they don't have that capability.

And you forgot to extend it further, to the "logical" conclusion that they will then DEMAND you hand over Mr Rumsfield without presenting any proof, and gave you one MONTH to comply OR ELSE.

And they started to BOMB US. But no, it's JUST the government they are going after. The war is NOT against Americans. REALLY.

Outlandish enough for you?
New Outlandish.
OK, let's try again.

Now US Dept of Defence is saying that Saudis use their oil influence to distort our rights to drive 10GPM UAWs. That's why they had it coming.And unless they'll promise to support our 10GPM religion with cheap gas, it will happen again. Mind you, we still don't say we did it.

And Saudis are saying that if US's investigation does not lead to arest and deportation of Mr Rumsfield in 1 month, they will turn off the oil. For the whole world. All of it.

Now, some questions for you.

Are Saudis in the right in my story?
Is US in the wrong?
Can you imagine this actually happenning in the current US?
New Re: list
I still do not see deliberate killing of thousand of civilian there.

1948: Israel established. U.S. declines to press Israel to allow expelled Palestinians to return.

We "failed to press" someone? That's compared to 3800 dead bodies?

1949: CIA backs military coup deposing elected government of Syria.

We backed _their_ coup? They fight, and it's our fault that we look out for our interest?

1953: CIA helps overthrow the democratically-elected Mossadeq government in Iran (which had nationalized the British oil company) leading to a quarter-century of repressive and dictatorial rule by the Shah, Mohammed Reza Pahlevi.

Need more data on this one... May be you are right. Still it's not the example I am looking for.

1956: U.S. cuts off promised funding for Aswan Dam in Egypt after Egypt receives Eastern bloc arms.

"Cuts off promised aid". Again, bad, bad US.

1956: Israel, Britain, and France invade Egypt. U.S. does not support invasion, but the involvement of its NATO allies severely diminishes Washington's reputation in the region.

"US does not support the invasion"

1958: U.S. troops land in Lebanon to preserve "stability".

"to preserve stability". Look what a fine job they had been doing before us, and after us.

early 1960s: U.S. unsuccessfully attempts assassination of Iraqi leader, Abdul Karim Qassim.

"unsuccesfully". OK.

1963: U.S. reported to gives Iraqi Ba'ath party (soon to be headed by Saddam Hussein) names of communists to murder, which they do with vigor.

What makes you think that communists are any better than Ba'ath? Especially in 1963?

1967-: U.S. blocks any effort in the Security Council to enforce SC Resolution 244, calling for Israeli withdrawal from territories occupied in the 1967 war.

May be right or wrong, but that's diplomacy. Nothing that calls for a cold-blooded murder of thousands.

1970: Civil war between Jordan and PLO. Israel and U.S. prepare to intervene on side of Jordan if Syria backs PLO.

"prepare to intervene" ?

1972: U.S. blocks Sadat's efforts to reach a peace agreement with Egypt.

Huh? Sadat was an Egiptian, no?

1973: U.S. military aid enables Israel to turn the tide in war with Syria and Egypt.

And if it did not, US would have had millions of dead Jews on its consciense.

1973-75: U.S. supports Kurdish rebels in Iraq. When Iran reaches an agreement with Iraq in 1975 and seals the border, Iraq slaughters Kurds and U.S. denies them refuge. Kissinger secretly explains that "covert action should not be confused with missionary work."

We failed to support rebels all the way. And now that we try to do it in Afghanistan, you aren't happy either.

1978-79: Iranians begin demonstrations against the Shah. U.S. tells Shah it supports him "without reservation" and urges him to act forcefully. Until the last minute, U.S. tries to organize military coup to save the Shah, but to no avail.

Now we are faithful to our allies. And you are still not happy. In any case, even if US tried to save a bad regime, it failed. And what replaced the regime is not much better. And still I see no call to murder here. Iranians got thier revenge already, in less painful ways.

1979-88: U.S. begins covert aid to Mujahideen in Afghanistan six months before Soviet invasion in Dec. 1979. Over the next decade U.S. provides training and more than $3 billion in arms and aid.

Soviet involvement in Afghanistan started years before the actual invasion. Afghanistan was essentially another Checoslovakia for Soviet Union.

1980-88: Iran-Iraq war. When Iraq invades Iran, the U.S. opposes any Security Council action to condemn the invasion. U.S. soon removes Iraq from its list of nations supporting terrorism and allows U.S. arms to be transferred to Iraq. At the same time, U.S. lets Israel provide arms to Iran and in 1985 U.S. provides arms directly (though secretly) to Iran. U.S. provides intelligence information to Iraq. Iraq uses chemical weapons in 1984; U.S. restores diplomatic relations with Iraq. 1987 U.S. sends its navy into the Persian Gulf, taking Iraq's side; an overly-aggressive U.S. ship shoots down an Iranian civilian airliner, killing 290.

The airliner catasrophy comes close. But, if I remember correctly, "overly-aggressive" is not just your assesment of this. The carier of the ship's captain was over. The Navy apologised. No one selebrated in the streets.

I am sorry, I don't have time to go answering to you entire list. I find all of them, even taken together, pathetically short of provoking the murder we witnessed. By all means, go buil your own economy, expand your diplomatic influence, even in vest some money in our politicians (just try not to get caught). But don't murder people.

I cannot do much if you feel differently. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion. But I hope US will be able to do something about bin Laden who actually put his feelings into actions.

New Oh dear..we actually meant what we said...
...when we started this shootin match...

What the events of the past few days have starkly revealed is that the US had only one interest in this war in Afghanistan, capturing Bin Laden and destroying al-Qaida

And now that we have closed in on that objective...and are participating in UN discussions in Germany about the future coalition government of Afghanistan...and when thats accomplihhed we'll probably end up paying to rebuild their infrastructure and provide food for years to come.

All of Afghanistan as collateral damage...good for them...because we end up being very generous afterwards.

But, of course, we should just stop...and mind our own business...and never set foot in the regoin again...that way we'll have no more worries about terrorists. THat would be the "right" thing to do...right?
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Re: Oh dear..we actually meant what we said...
To nit pick, actually NO.

Your president said the US is at war against terrorism, and countries that support/harbour terrorists activities.

Do you want to deny that CIA has direct/indirect ties to terrorist activities (and I do not mean "ties" in a positive manner)?

Do you want to deny that Mossad has direct/indirect ties to terrorist activities (and I do not mean "ties" in a positive manner)?

Is US going to bomb US/CIA, Israel/Mossad? And why not?
New Nice change of direction there....
won't work.

We directed this >campaign< at Al-Qaida, ObL and the regime that harbored them...after they were given an ultimatum to turn him over and open their camps to inspection.

They refused.

We've been told all along that this is not the only campaign that will be fought in the war on terrorism. So...

(ouch...sometimes hanging as far right as required here for balance >is< actually painful)

As for your 2 other questions...well its obvious we won't be bombing ourselves anytime soon (although if ground troops enter in..we just might with "friendly fire")

And 2...it is imperative that we re-evaluate our position wrt Israel...and its something that I don't think will happen in any real fashion...which means that we will LOSE this "war against terrorism"...because we will continue to battle the symptoms and not the root causes...which are largely our continued support of Israeli aggression and our oil dependency.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Oh, don't worry...
Our position towards Israel is already very different. We _will_ shoehorn them into the territory that we think is appropriate. Don't you see all the pressure now? THEN we will have a real problem: what to do when that does not help, and halved Israel is still hated as much as before?

P.S. Bin Laden won this particular round: if you hit US hard enough, it will change policy.
New Oil
almost forgot... The war tax money in this war should be directed towards energy research. But, since we have a war tax breaks instead of war taxes, guess what will happen to the research...
New Re: Nice change of direction there....
I'm not sure you have to play devil's advocate for the far right.

>We directed this >campaign< at Al-Qaida, ObL and the regime that harbored them...after they were given an ultimatum to turn him over and open their camps to inspection.

Let me repeat what has been repeated many times.

Ultimatum issued without proof being presented, then and now. And it's NOT the CAMPAIGN against terrorists that's drawing the criticisms. It's the way the US has once again shown that it has no regard for anything but "American" justice.

You mentioned in a few of your previous posts that the reason that proofs were not presented was because it would be ignored and risk tactical advantage. What exactly has been accomplished by the American bombing? Nothing except that Afghanistan now has a "new" ruling regime, and more "mines" (duds and such) and more civilians dead/dying.

What tangible advantage does it have against OBL and his terrorist group after all these bombing?

Not to say that the US has once again put itself in a very fragile position, [link|http://www.gallup-international.com/terrorismpoll_figures.htm|world opinion] wise.
New Proof
Two things do not seem to be in dispute. One, bin Laden said many times that he is at war with America. Two, bin Laden is a head of a terrorist group.

Therefore, if US declares a war on terrorism, bin Laden is a target.

If you have him in your "custody" and protect him, you place yourself at war with America. This is not justice, "American" or otherwise. This is not a criminal investigation. This is war.

>What tangible advantage does it have against OBL and his terrorist group after all these bombing?

If you still can't discern what advantages in the war on bin Laden we gained by helping Northern Aliance, I have to doubt your mental capabilities. Or your honesty.
New Re: Proof
>Therefore, if US declares a war on terrorism, bin Laden is a target.

No dispute there. But you sure it's a war on terrorism OR a war on terrorism AGAINST the US? BIG difference.

>If you have him in your "custody" and protect him, you place yourself at war with America. This is not justice, "American" or otherwise. This is not a criminal investigation. This is war.

So when can we expect the Pentagon to announce the SOA/CIA/Pentagon/White House heads as target? When can we expect the US to start bombing the country that have them in its custody and protection? Remember you said this is war.

If you can't see the hyprocracy in the "War on Terrorism", and the double standards, then I really have to question your mentality or your honesty.

Just look at the Taliban. How organized are they? What have OBL and his group lost? State of the arts weaponary support from Taliban? Enormous cash influx from the Taliban? Political clout from being associated with the Taliban? Or their precious caves in Afghanistan?

Seriously, enlighten me. To quote Ashton, "Sheesh!"
New Re: This bit quoted, seems quite wrong.
"What the events of the past few days have starkly revealed is that the US had only one interest in this war in Afghanistan, capturing Bin Laden and destroying al-Qaida; that imperative outstripped all considerations of Afghanistan's future."

The above seems to be to be a dangerous opinion entirely from the journalists own mind. I wonder what proof she has that justifies the insinuation the quote makes. The pace of events was always open to fate. Surely even with half a brain, that would be obvious ?. If the US now walks away from Afghanistan, she might be able to justify such a remark but from the evidence she is so far off target she loses credibility.

Cheers

Doug M
New gawd, agreeing with dm?
If the US now walks away from Afghanistan, she might be able to justify such a remark but from the evidence she is so far off target she loses credibility.

The food drops would seem to demolish the brain-dead "the US has only one interest in this war" argument.

If the *only* interest we had was bashing bin Laden and the al-Qaida, we'd have carpet bombed everything in sight. We do have other interests. We are seeking (to an extreme) to avoid civilian casualties. We are supporting efforts to organize, if not a "great" according to our standards, an effective and organized government.
If this were a purely military engagement, to demolish bin Laden and al-Qaida, Kabul would no longer exist. The cities currently held by the Taliban would have been bombed into rubble.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Re: gawd, agreeing with dm?
>If the *only* interest we had was bashing bin Laden and the al-Qaida, we'd have carpet bombed everything in sight. We do have other interests. We are seeking (to an extreme) to avoid civilian casualties. We are supporting efforts to organize, if not a "great" according to our standards, an effective and organized government.
If this were a purely military engagement, to demolish bin Laden and al-Qaida, Kabul would no longer exist. The cities currently held by the Taliban would have been bombed into rubble

Is US at war with Afghanistan? Or terrorists?

OBL or Taliban? You do know that Taliban is being "invited" to be part of the new government, don't you?

Did you happen to even take into consideration how US (a sovereign nation, member of the UN) has broken internation laws and treaties by bombing Afghanistan?

If it's not OK for the terrorists to attack US homeland, what makes it OK for US to bomb Afghanis'?

Because you're going after OBL? The terrorists were also going after your leadership, it just happens that Bush took off when the bombing began, oh wait, so did OBL...

And if the US was really concerned with Afghanistan, why the NA? And still, where's the proof?

As for the food drops, I'd say token gesture at best. I could be wrong.
     The new hawks - (Silverlock) - (22)
         Re: The new hawks - (TTC) - (21)
             Bad, bad US. - (Arkadiy) - (9)
                 Re: Bad, bad US. - (TTC) - (8)
                     "forcing" - (Arkadiy) - (7)
                         Re: "forcing" - (TTC) - (6)
                             Re: "Forcing" - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                                 Re: "Forcing" - (TTC) - (4)
                                     My conclusions. - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                         Re: My conclusions. - (TTC) - (2)
                                             Outlandish. - (Arkadiy)
                                             Re: list - (Arkadiy)
             Oh dear..we actually meant what we said... - (bepatient) - (7)
                 Re: Oh dear..we actually meant what we said... - (TTC) - (6)
                     Nice change of direction there.... - (bepatient) - (5)
                         Oh, don't worry... - (Arkadiy)
                         Oil - (Arkadiy)
                         Re: Nice change of direction there.... - (TTC) - (2)
                             Proof - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                 Re: Proof - (TTC)
             Re: This bit quoted, seems quite wrong. - (dmarker2) - (2)
                 gawd, agreeing with dm? - (wharris2) - (1)
                     Re: gawd, agreeing with dm? - (TTC)

Given sufficient thrust, even pigs can fly. You just don't want to be around when they come back down.
134 ms