IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New At sea a tsunami is not a big deal
At see a tsunami is a very long, very fast wave. Think 100km long, moving at 700 km/hour. This is long enough that it is governed by the physics of shallow waves even in deep ocean.

So there is a lot of energy, but it is distributed over the entire depth of the ocean and won't really be noticed by ships on the surface.

As the wave approaches land, the energy doesn't diminish, but it compresses. What had been a little wave when that energy is distributed over a column of water 5 km deep is not so little when it is distributed over 100m. As it approaches shore the wave becomes slower and higher (still the same energy, just distributed differently).

When it hits land, the first visible effect is that all of the water disappears (you're seeing the wave attempt to deliver a trough that is 10-30m deep, but there isn't that much water to go away), and then it comes back - fast. Because the land doesn't participate in the fluid motion properly, the water surges up on land and then doesn't drain out when the next one hits. And this continues for as many waves as there are in the wave train. (I think that this one had 2.)

Hopefully you never need to know this, but if you take away anything from this explanation, it should be that if you're standing near the ocean and the water disappears, run!!! If they'd known that, many of the victims of this tidal wave would have survived. Sure it hit a lot of coast. But anywhere that it hit, if you were a few blocks inland when the wave came, you survived.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Water disappearing
I learned of this when reading a historical account of the great Alaska quake. The harbor at Kodiak emptied suddenly leaving all the vessels aground. Then it all surged back - not really a wave, more like a tide that just kept rising.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
New Hence the name "tidal wave"
It's a wave that looks like a tide, only faster and (typically) much bigger.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New There was an article last night on the news...
... that briefly explored the term "tidal wave" vs. "tsunami" and the impact on the world's collective consciousness now that we suddenly have so much footage of it happening.

They mentioned that "tidal wave" is inaccurate, though it is understandable how it came about ("earthquake wave" would be more accurate). It was then mentioned that English doesn't have a word for such a wave: but the Japanese do. It is interesting to note that *all* the newscasts here in Oz are calling it a "tsunami".

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Yep - as I like to point out
there's a reason tsunami is a Japanese word.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
New was explaining that to people at work
they saw a few video clips and were surprised they didnt see a 300 ft wall of water. Also a note to run, if the sea is normally clear and you see a muddy churn incoming, run.
regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
     I'm kind of surprised - (jake123) - (35)
         What can be said? :-< -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Exactly. -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Still stunned -NT - (Silverlock)
         I wondered too - (Nightowl) - (14)
             Earthquakes scary? - (Andrew Grygus) - (13)
                 You'd love the Puget Sound... - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                     It gets worse - (ben_tilly)
                     Bring it on - (tuberculosis)
                     Riiiiiight. - (FuManChu) - (3)
                         Hey, did I say spend $$$? - (inthane-chan)
                         Sorry, but that argument is stupid - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             For reference - (jake123)
                 La Palma - (pwhysall)
                 Cumbre Vieja volcano on the island of La Palma - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Two guys rode that wave - (drewk)
                 Why they are scary - (Nightowl) - (1)
                     Ah I see.. sorta like the Bush Admin, then. -NT - (Ashton)
                 La Palma - (scoenye)
         Nothing to say... - (Arkadiy)
         Horrible. Didn't think anything else needed saying. - (imric)
         Well, not much to say - (JayMehaffey)
         60K dead now. - (pwhysall) - (13)
             And counting. - (a6l6e6x) - (12)
                 Shipping not affected - (broomberg)
                 At sea a tsunami is not a big deal - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                     Water disappearing - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                         Hence the name "tidal wave" - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             There was an article last night on the news... - (static) - (1)
                                 Yep - as I like to point out - (tuberculosis)
                     was explaining that to people at work - (daemon)
                 Not to mention ... - (drewk)
                 Radio news at 3 PM today - (lincoln) - (3)
                     As for the 'corporate' response... - (Meerkat) - (2)
                         MoveOn.org has sent a note to all members - (Ashton) - (1)
                             The City of Sydney is doing its bit. - (Meerkat)

Sheep. Hmm.
67 ms