[link|http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/powell.aid/index.html|CNN]
The United Nations' emergency relief coordinator said Tuesday that the international response to the tsunami catastrophe in southern Asia has been "very generous" despite earlier comments in which he called some nations "stingy."

"The international assistance that has come and been pledged from the United States, from Europe and from countries in the region has also been very generous," Jan Egeland said in brief remarks at the world body's headquarters.

"I have been misinterpreted when I yesterday said that my belief that rich countries in general can be more generous. This has nothing to do with any particular country or the response to this emergency. We're in early days and the response has so far been overwhelmingly positive," he added.

Jan may be publicly reversing course, but that is only after the US more then doubled it's promise. At $35 million, it's still short of what we spend in Iraq every day though.

Other then the political game over countries being stingy, there isn't much to say. This is a huge disaster, one where the lose of life will probably top 50,000 from the direct impact and possibly as much again from the indirect effects of the devastation in the region.

Jay