IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Missing Manual" good; iBook good
I found Pogue's "Missing Manual" for OS X useful and comprehensive. I'd been using the previous iterations of the Mac OS from 1984 forward at home and from 1987 forward at work, and had attained a certain fluency: I could diagnose and fix almost anything that went wrong in that comely yet—alas!—increasingly unstable environment, and reflexes born of long habit (the reason I gave up years ago attempting to convert the casual longtime Windows user: the protocols, however superior, would seem counterintuitive) made working in that environment all but effortless. The switch to OS X was something of a shock, and I'm still something of a tyro in the diagnose-and-fix department, but fortunately things don't go wrong anything like as frequently. The "Missing Manual" was a big help as I made the transition.

As to hardware, for your needs the iBook G4 will do handily. Do get additional memory (768MB should be comfortable); don't pay Apple's RAM prices. It's always a good idea to purchase in the wake of the MacWorld Expo, as last year's hot boxes are frequently available at steep discounts.

I've just concluded a deal with an [link|http://www.powermax.com|outfit in Oregon] that appears to have some fabulous deals, and will report early in the new year as to whether the experience justified my optimism. I will note that Oregon apparently lacks a sales tax. I will further note that under California law we who purchase big-ticket items from Oregon must pay a "use tax" (equal, oddly, to our state sales tax) on these auslander acquisitions. I will observe finally that of course we all report and duly tender tax on these transactions, and add, with Dorothy Parker, that I am Queen of Romania.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Oooh! Candy store
Must ponder, mull. Will be in touch.

Gracias -
     OReilly / Other Apple books - experience? - (Ashton) - (11)
         There are 'switchers' guides available - (Meerkat) - (1)
             Second on "Missing Manual" - (tjsinclair)
         take a close look before you buy books - (daemon)
         I haven't really needed a manual yet. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Re: I haven't really needed a manual yet. - (pwhysall)
         Four tips and a comment - (Steve Lowe)
         "Missing Manual" good; iBook good - (rcareaga) - (1)
             Oooh! Candy store - (Ashton)
         Thanks all - (Ashton) - (2)
             Re: Thanks all - (danreck) - (1)
                 Nice hints. - (Ashton)

You left them alone in a room with a penguin?! Mr. Gates, your men are already dead.
71 ms