IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Books: The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife
These are the first two books in a trilogy. I've just started the third, "The Amber Spyglass," but the first two have struck me as pretty darn tootin' good, so I figured I'd just go ahead and review them now.

First off, let's address the issue of maturity. Amazon.com lists it as "Reading level: Age 9-12", but there's some pretty intense subject matter in the first two books, and the trend is to ever more intense things happening in the third. The books are intense in a "Brothers Grimm fairytales" kind of intense - ROT13 for minor spoilers - ybgf bs crbcyr qvr, fbzr snveyl ubeevsvp guvatf unccra gb xvqf, bar punenpgre rngf gur qrnq obql bs nabgure (zvabe) punenpgre, naq gur prageny cybgyvar jvyy bssraq crbcyr jub ner gbb nggnpurq gb gurve zbabgurvfgvp eryvtvba bs pubvpr. - /ROT13.

That out of the way, I'd recommend this book for mature 12 year olds and up. 9 year olds are most likely going to have hideous nightmares about some of the things that happen, especially in the first book. The books deal with fairly complex themes, and be prepared for a lot of theological questions from kids, especially about why God is such a bastard.

While this ain't the Lord of the Rings, it's still a fairly epic story, centering on two children who each carry artifacts, destined to strike a blow against oppressive organizations bent on chaining humanity for all eternity. Good books, worth a read.
"Here at Ortillery Command we have at our disposal hundred megawatt laser beams, mach 20 titanium rods and guided thermonuclear bombs. Some people say we think that we're God. We're not God. We just borrowed his 'SMITE' button for our fire control system."
New I find it mildly amusing that...
there is some utility to do rot-13, but I find it easier to just write a Perl script to do it.
\nperl -pe 'tr/a-z/n-za-m/'\n

I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New That's not a perl script
its just tr called by extraneous perl glue.

OK, maybe that is a perl script. But I'm working really hard to see the perl value add on that one. :-P

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."     --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."     --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:39:59 PM EDT
New Built in SED and AWK
New It is simple
I know that Perl is a swiss army chainsaw. Therefore I don't have to remember where that blade originally was to be found because it is part of Perl. Besides, on any machine where I've resided for a while, I know that Perl is there. I don't know that the rest of the Unix toolset is.

In fact until you pointed out that it exists, I'd never looked for a tr utility. Now that I have, I know where another Perl operator came from, and I'll blissfully forget about the tr utility. Its existence is one more thing that I can forget.

YMMV, and in this case it probably does.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Are kids looking for this sort of thing?
It makes me wonder. I thought there used to be topics and issues that only started surfacing in fiction for 14-16 year olds. I remember reading fantasy novels marketted to adults when I was 12 (currently reading them yet again, in fact) - but I wouldn't call them "adult", nor do they have elements such as you described. The latter sound like they would be better in a Stephen King novel. For adults 21 and over.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New I read Mein Kamp at 10, heinlen at 9
and was a fan of Howard, Poe, Stoker, Wheatley at 11. Depends on what interests you. I remember the librarian calling my home and asking if it was okay to allow me to check out "adult" material. Parents said "at least he can read"

Favorite quote "books are the window to the universe" character stacks some books so he can look out the porthole of the space ship.

regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
clearwater highschool marching band [link|http://www.chstornadoband.org/|http://www.chstornadoband.org/]
     Books: The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife - (inthane-chan) - (6)
         I find it mildly amusing that... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
             That's not a perl script - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 Built in SED and AWK -NT - (ChrisR)
                 It is simple - (ben_tilly)
         Are kids looking for this sort of thing? - (static) - (1)
             I read Mein Kamp at 10, heinlen at 9 - (daemon)

The piccolo of the Gods!
49 ms