IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Groundhog Day
I thought GD was profound - the message is, you can't make deals with Fate or God, you can't buy your way out of self-indulgence by service and exterior atonement - something the modern world should learn. You atone only by being a mensch, simply that and nothing else. Your only real duty is to be right with God - the rest follows almost automatically.

I compare it to "A Christmas Carol". Dickens seems to think that fear and loathing of damnation is the origin of morality. The moral climate of CC is repugnant in the extreme. (I admit to detesting Dickens.)

(A similar inversion can be found in the films "Forest Gump" and "Pulp Fiction" - the first is morally bankrupt in its false innocence, while the second reveals a spiritual message beneath its grimy exterior.)
-drl
New Re: Groundhog Day
One of very few films of past decade or so I deemed worth buying. Decidedly metaphysical; one can make as much of it as.. er, one Can. He's a real Actor; maybe it helps too, that he's not pretty (?)
     Lost in Translation, Last Samurai, Day after Tomorrow - (bepatient) - (18)
         DaT - (pwhysall)
         Lost in the Translation - (cforde) - (11)
             Hmm. We really enjoyed it. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Re: Hmm. We really enjoyed it. - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Groundhog Day - (cforde) - (2)
                         Re: Groundhog Day - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Re: Groundhog Day - (Ashton)
                 haven't seen that one -NT - (cforde)
             Re: Lost in the Translation - (deSitter)
             Re: Lost in the Translation -- Hated It - (andread) - (3)
                 ?? - (deSitter) - (2)
                     I would expect an either/or with it. - (bepatient)
                     Uh huh. - (Ashton)
         Re: Lost in Translation, Last Samurai, Day after Tomorrow - (rcareaga) - (4)
             (Nothing to see.) -NT - (Another Scott)
             ICLRPD (new thread) - (Another Scott)
             You *have* seen Japanese movies w/o Toshiro Mifune, yes? - (FuManChu) - (1)
                 They *made* Japanese movies w/o Toshiro Mifune?? -NT - (rcareaga)

I think its a fine solution to the problem that you probably shouldn't have.
145 ms