IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I have returned - from my High School Reunion.
Burbank High School, 1961. Class of 600 students. I knew few people there at the time, and associated with just a very few. I go to these things mostly to find out what people my age really look like now.

I was on cordial terms with some of the men, and we touched base. All the women of my class despised me then, without exception, and still do. I despise them in turn, to this day. This class permanently tainted my attitude toward women my age. Younger, I get along with fine; Older, also fine; my age - forget it. Disqualified.

But anyway, I don't hold grudges, so I circulated and said hello to all so they could brush me off, just like they did then. Some things don't change.

There were a few people from other class years, visiting with friends. Among them was an outstandingly attractive lady from an adjacent class (forgot which direction). I spoke to her briefly and we moved on, and then came the strangeness. For only the third time in my life, without any rational basis, but with complete confidence, came the single phrase:

"This is mine".

We met again after dinner, and talked. And talked until the staff chased us out of the ballroom. We kissed goodnight. We will see each other again, soon.

I cannot explain this.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Ding-DONG.
As the great Leslie Phillips might say.

Life is full of mysteries. This looks like being one of the fun ones.

Go forth, and, erm, do stuff.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New That's superb, Andrew. Enjoy!
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Well, there's proof!
Of Predestination. And Chaos.

(I was always told that you can alt-mode twixt the two at will; warned not to give away the secret but WTF..

It's burning a hole in pocket) It's:

[ctrl] [alt] [shiftless] [\ufffd]

(We shiftless ones know the code)

HTH - but don't give it away to any jerks, y'hear?
(The Power tends to make 'em insufferable)

A.
New High School Reunions
Well the High Schools that I went to I wasn't very popular at either. It seemed that I couldn't get a date, not even for the Prom. I wouldn't say I was despired by all the women, just that most of them didn't know that I existed or ignored me. The very rare few that had interest in me, either where not my type or only had interest in me to try and set me up by pretending to like me and then dump me after learning stuff about me to make fun of me. The second high school I went to was better, but had fewer people in my class. I wasn't much of a socializer, because of the first high school I went to, but I did better at the second one. I made some friends, but at least two of them killed themselves, and some others either moved out of state or lost contact with me.

I was rejected a lot because of my depression, it was so bad that I couldn't hide it from everyone. I hardly smiled, and it seems the rumor-mill always had something to say about me even if it wasn't true.

But it was a long time ago, and I don't want to hold grudges and I forgive those. I hope that the ones who hurt me have grown up to the point that they are no longer doing this to others. Because as I can recall, they did do it to others.

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New No need to.
I cannot explain this.

No need to. Simply have fun together. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Congrats!
I'll bite my tongue on my opinion of H.S. reunions - and be glad for you that this one worked out.

Party on, dude!
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New I remember high school vaguely
Until at age 31 went to visit my brother at the town I went to school in his neighborlady goes "bill is that you?" I didnt recognise the rather large punchdrunk looking women who yammered at me. Making a polite withdrawal I got her name from my brother and looked her up in the yearbook. Yup she was a hotty I didnt connect with because of the cool factor. Shame in one way since she claimed to have liked me, but what the "outer" person tuned into, glad I didnt.

Also a woman I liked (very much) at age 21, she "liked" me also to the point we spent a lot of time together I met 15 yrs later. Same glasses taped together 14 dogs shitting all over the house (Ilike dogs but am a little more particular) a hubby 4 kids and an attitude that screamed "I am in charge!!!" I was so happy to kiss the hubbies ass as he was the real man while she made sneering remarks about what I lost out on.

Have had 3 "real" loves and one too stupid to figure out infatuation.
1 divorce from a sweet lady who believed in falling in love and ignoring the smuck watching her kids.
One Angel who died following me around to third world countries even though she was just humoring my love for adventure.
1 woman who I have been with for 13 yrs and married for 12. We fight sometimes but somehow hang tough and she is absolutely gorgeous.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Har, Inthane will like this
The most I remember from high school is the chess club. ;=)
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Better than mine.
But I'll post that somewhere else - doesn't belong in this thread. Joyous thoughts, people!
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Luck to you.
I hope this turns out well for you (and her :-))
How to mangle the truth;

Have it reported by any major U.S. media outlet.
New OK, I hate those "human interest" news stories . .
. . with no follow-up, so I'm reporting in.

Yes, I'm still in contact with the lady. So far, so good, but it takes effort for both since we are each on the very edge of the other's consulting territory.

She once did heavy duty accounting systems running on Wang and Basic Four, but was bushwacked by the PC and now does "clutter consulting" and accounting consulting - mostly in Orange County. I am IS department for 47 networks in LA county (for you on the other coast, translate "county" to "state" for scale).

Anyways, a couple weeks ago we attended a potluck party together - held by a group she belongs to, "The Outer Edge" ("The Edge" for short). The group is involved in current philosophical thought (pop & not), religions and pseudo religions, relationship analysis, metaphysics, "human potential", gurus, "facilitators", liberalism, general non-Republican thought, and all that crap and nonsense (sorry, wine, but no dope).

Not a problem - been there, done that (and I'd do it again). Great folks, great party, great food, well worth the drive - and a further painful reminder of what I've been missing out on messing around with this computer crap for so long. We even know some of the same folks, just she knows them now and I knew the when.

Last weekend she was off to a "human potential" workshop based on quantum physics.

Huh???

Well, I don't have a clue what their take on quantum physics is, and I haven't a clue whether she'll understand a word of my response, but it'll be fun explaining to each other later.

This weekend I am doing a Holodynamic workshop. The processes we are learning uses principals of quantum physics to help turn negative life habits into positive ways of living life.

So, I presume you have now been physically quantified and have been put on the Heisenberg / Fermi diet (hadrons, baryons and mu-mesons, mostly).

The next step is to serve your internship. This involves dressing "quarky" and standing around in the airport carrying a sign that says, "God does indeed play at dice".

From there you can get started with some real strangeness, and after transcending chaos, will have charm.

Wow! sauerkraut soup ! Would love the recipe. We always made sauerkraut with pork chops and served with mash potatoes.

No similarity, but yes, you can have the recipe.

Next Friday Dec 7 may be a good candidate.

Major Topic Shift

Well, I was off in Burbank today, for several stops. One was a major client that occupies most of the buildings along a block in an older part of town. Half the phone system was out.

They were moving some stuff, and found some really, really ancient wiring (paper insulation, even) in the back of a factory building way down the block from the offices - and cut it away - completely unaware it was most of their phone lines.

"Um, no, this is phone company property you've cut out, and this junk on the floor is your demarc backboard, and those cans contain their grounding and lightning protection and such. Now when they replace this stuff, I can hook up to it OK, because this cable here (the one with the paper insulation) is your property, but this stuff here is their property and they'd be pissed if I messed with it."

"Are they going to be mad at me?"

"Yup, because now they're going to have to replace these antiques, and you cut their cable so short it's going to be a real bitch terminating it to anything."

Then on to an accounting / tax outfit I had written off as a "former client" and hadn't heard from for almost two years, but they just ordered a new server and a couple workstations.

Still early, and I'm in Burbank, so I'll just pop over to Tinhorn Flats and have a beer and and a basket of fries.

Home, and fed the pigeons, but, lets be fair and hit Don's Den too. Haven't been there for a month at least.

So Don's was empty (as it always is until about 9:00) with the history chanel on the TV (instead of sports). Sabrina was the bartendress this evening.

On my way home as the place started to fill up (and it was karaoke night, so it started to get noisy).

Stopped a couple blocks down at Trader Joe's for a big can of coffee beans (Samatra / Columbia blend), since I was nearly out and tomorrow is a "Rose (not her real name) Day". The Caffine Queen would be distressed if I ran out. The check-out girl was also named Sabrina.

Got home and it looked like a bomb had hit the place. Then I remembered. Just before going on the road, I had become so frustrated with the stack on my desk I'd picked it up and heaved it to make it easier to sort. Papers don't go far, but CDs and 3" floppys do well - some were jammed under the kitchen counter more than 20 feet from the desk.

Well, I'll handle that tomorrow. Meanwhile, I found this bottle of Port down at the end of the kitchen counter. Opened it a couple years ago (I think), and probably bought it in the 70's. Cork is a bit rotten, but hey, the stuff's still alive! I'm not much for sweet stuff, but once in a while it's good.

Tonight's Quiz

The history channel was doing the American Revolution, and there was action on the pool tables. This suggested this evening's quiz.

Who was the greatest billiards player of the American Revolution era?

It's not that hard - you know him by name.

PS

Oh, yeah, next door to Trader Joe's is the "Myrtle Tree" - closed, but they left their freebie stacks out. Snagged a copy of "The Whole Person Calendar" and "Whole Life Times". Got to brush up on this stuff.

I think I'm going to go into the nouveau religion business. It's a whole lot more fun than computers, and probably a whole lot more profitable too. Hmmmm. Where do I start . . .

Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Dec. 6, 2001, 02:33:14 AM EST
New My guess on the quiz
Ben Franklin. Gotta be. Unless Washington was one of those annoying bastards who's got brains, looks[1], charisma and can play bar games.

[1] I figure he wasn't the only guy with funny-lookin' teeth back then.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New Hint
He's from the era, but not an American or Brit. Very famous for something else (though references to his billiards playing show up in obscure jokes now and then).
New Ich Wei\ufffd!
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

\ufffdNicht verdad mon ami?

(Only One of those per \ufffdon..)
New The word from PDQ Bach . .
"When introduced to the infant Mozart, PDQ Bach immediately recognized talent in the lad and announced to his parents that he would, without doubt, become the greatest billiards player of his age."

Millions have heard that gag line without realizing that Mozart actually was the greatest billiards player of his era (I learned it many years ago from the introduction chapter of Moscone's book on billiards).
New On my time machine trip
First few to visit -

Wolfgang (and Constanze!) - just to look, listen and marvel. Gotta see his game, too - natch.

Leonardo - ditto. What could you say 'to him' except *Wow*! ??

The bugler for the Rebs, who played Taps and also pop. tunes of the day - for both sides, one evening .. during a stand-off.

Adam Smith - little chat about vulture capitalists, McDonalds and.. would he like to take up gardening?

..and a few others.

Dr. Ashton Who?
New Another quiz.
I would have guessed a certain English fellow who had a collision with an apple, but I think he was too early. He would have had a bit of an unfair advantage if he was coordinated. :-)

Anyway, along those lines...

Who was the richest man in America in 1775?

Long ago I heard an answer, but it turns out to have been incorrect. The answer I heard was George Washington. He was up there, but not the richest by any means. (Him being the richest would have helped feed some nice conspiracy theories though!)

[link|http://www.raken.com/american_wealth/encyclopedia/1775.asp|Answer].

4 millionaires are listed. Washinton's not among them.

Cheers,
Scott.
     I have returned - from my High School Reunion. - (Andrew Grygus) - (17)
         Ding-DONG. - (pwhysall)
         That's superb, Andrew. Enjoy! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Well, there's proof! - (Ashton)
         High School Reunions - (orion)
         No need to. - (Another Scott)
         Congrats! - (inthane-chan)
         I remember high school vaguely - (boxley) - (2)
             Har, Inthane will like this - (wharris2) - (1)
                 Better than mine. - (inthane-chan)
         Luck to you. - (Silverlock)
         OK, I hate those "human interest" news stories . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
             My guess on the quiz - (drewk) - (4)
                 Hint - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     Ich Wei\ufffd! - (Ashton) - (2)
                         The word from PDQ Bach . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             On my time machine trip - (Ashton)
             Another quiz. - (Another Scott)

The Idler of Champions.
69 ms