IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The best example of how I think about forgiveness
Is discussed by Flashman during the siege of cawnpore getting ready for the last charge that will mean the end. I will lift this whole from his book.

Scud East
Please bear with me I know you are bitter, because you think I abandoned you in Russia, left you to die while I escaped. Oh I know it was my duty, and all that to get to Raglan... but the truth is" he broke off and had a gulp to himself"-the truth is I was glad to leave you. There! its out at last ... oh if you know how it has been tormenting me these two years past! That weight on my soul -- that I abandoned you in a spirit of hatred and sinful vengeance. No ...let me finish! I hated you then because ... because of the way you treated Valla ... when you flung her into the snow! I could have killed you for it!"

Flashman
He was in a rare taking, no error; a Rugby concience pouring out is a hell of a performance. He wasnt telling me a thing I didnt know or guess at the time-- I know these pious bastards better than they know themselves you see.

Scud East skipping ahead
I wanted to tell you and shake your hand old schoolfellow, and here from you that my sin is forgiven, If you can find it in your heart, I trust you can....

Flashman skipping ahead
"Well you could go fart in a bottle"

Scud East skipping ahead
"I only need a word! I know I wronged you! I wondered if you too loved Valla? Did you love her?

Flashman
"About four or five times a week" I replied"but you neednt be jealous; she wasnt nearly as good a ride as her Aunt Sara, you should have tried a steambath with that one"

Scud East
Oh God Flashman!! You are unspeakable! Vile! God help you!

Flashman
"Unspeakable and vile I may be but at least I am no hypocrite like you; the last thing you want is god to help me. You dont want my forgiveness either; you just want to be able to forgive yourself. Well run along and do it, Scud and thank me for making it easier on you. After what you heard tonight your concience shouldnt trouble you a bit.

Forgiveness is a gift freely given, not earned.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Thanks.
Thanks for the excerpt. It certainly clarifies the problems with giving out forgivness too easily.

Forgiveness is a gift freely given, not earned.

I sort-of agree. But it reminds me of cases where especially pious people have forgiven their attackers without any expression of regret by the attackers. I don't understand that - from a purely human perspective. I mean, I can point to lines in religious texts which describe the actions, and I can recall stories of people who were eventually moved by such forgivenss to change their lives, but it seems to me that too often such forgiveness is comparable to inattentive parents who let their kids grow up without supervision. It seems to me that it can often be destructive as far as helping to build a civil society. That's why I think it's best that forgiveness result from a meeting of the minds between the two parties - not be freely given, but not earned as a reward either.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Thoughts on forgiveness? - (Another Scott) - (45)
         Forgiveness vs restitution - (Brandioch)
         Forgiveness is wonderful; just get even first :) -NT - (hnick)
         Not a false distinction, but is it a worthwhile one? ;) - (tseliot) - (10)
             Yes, I wasn't thinking of legal issues. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                 Not a question of punishment, but of power imbalance - (tseliot) - (8)
                     Interesting historical context. Thanks. - (Another Scott)
                     Heh.. agonistic as in - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Honor - (tseliot) - (1)
                             Ah.. said well enough that - (Ashton)
                     Re: Sincerity & Forgiveness - (brettj) - (3)
                         Value to me? or to our imaginary 1st-century folk? - (tseliot) - (2)
                             Fascinating - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Great! I don't mind disagreement... - (tseliot)
         Forgiveness is divine. - (brettj)
         A possible distinction. - (Ashton) - (1)
             reminds me an irish elephant - (boxley)
         The best example of how I think about forgiveness - (boxley) - (1)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott)
         I don't hold with forgiveness - (ben_tilly) - (20)
             Clartification... - (ChrisR) - (14)
                 All of the above - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                     Cheese! whats yer thoughts on TP up or down? :) -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                         You really want to know? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             Well small chirrun have the same effect - (boxley)
                     Not assigning fault and the relation to forgiveness. - (brettj) - (9)
                         I think you missed my point - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                             Re: I think you missed my point - (brettj) - (7)
                                 Um, not quite - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                     Life is sorta like an onion - (brettj) - (5)
                                         I am mixed on the Asimov quote - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                             Karma? - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                 Which type of karma? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                     Between the two, the latter. - (Ashton)
                                             Just being aware of the question is worthwhile. - (brettj)
             Thanks. And a little story. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 To a woman yes - (boxley)
                 Put it this way... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     Thanks. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Thanks for some lucid prose. - (Ashton)
         Compassionate feelings that support a willingness to forgive - (brettj) - (4)
             Another incentive for developing that - (Ashton)
             Yes, that occurred to me, too. - (static) - (2)
                 Maybe that's the real question? Who needs forgiveness more? - (brettj) - (1)
                     I think that is situational. - (static)
         My thoughts - (orion)

> I can't quite tell the difference latterly between IWT and an encounter group moderated by Livia Soprano.
70 ms