IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is programming more resession-sensitive than other careers?
Most shops have roughly a mix of 60 percent maintenance and 40 percent new stuff. When the economy goes south, new projects are not considered an immediate need and are axed in a good many cases.

Thus, in down times, companies will need roughly up to 40 percent less programmers, goes this line of reasoning.

Regards,

-scott anderson
New Re: Is programming more resession-sensitive than other caree
Wouldn't you agree that most SW companies derive their revenue from selling new versions? In that case, it's maintenance people who'll get tha axe. The new developement has to go on.
New Because The King of the Patato-People said so!
He said maintenance programmers out, new developers in. Move on to the latest MS-Platform and the latest language updates and take the old programers outside to be shot (or uninstalled). If the maintenance programmers (of which I am one) don't learn the latest technologys (be it OOP or ".NET" or Java 2 or whatever) then out they go. Out out out! Because the PHBs are controlled by the King of the Patato-People. What he says, goes.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New I really meant non-software companies
re: "Wouldn't you agree that most SW companies derive their revenue from selling new versions?"

Although it is true that I did not include software companies in my finger calcs.

I don't know what the percent of programmers are employed by software-only companies.
New Any form of consulting
All forms of consulting suffer from this problem. And in this case I can't really blame the companies involved. If money gets tight which would you rather companies kept, long term employees or short term consultants?

It could develop into a serious problem down the road, if too many people become consultants there will be less soak in the economy in case of a down turn. This can easily create a downward spiral situation, which can only be broken by government intervention or hitting the bottom.

Jay
New Last couple years not good indicator
With Y2K projects and then hurryupandmakeupafterY2K projects, these past few years are not a real good indicator of the fluctuations of the computer professional market.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Perhaps you could be right
but I see that it is a never-ending struggle to make the changes to those projects because the PHBs keep changing their minds. They keep adding features, and having to clean up the bugs those features cause. Haven't you ever heard of EzBoard? I'll use that as an example. Despite the Y2K and AfterY2K rush jobs, they still need people to fix the bugs and improve on the existing code when management wants new features.

We will be getting into features and enhancements, as well as the migration to ".NET" in Microsoft shops. In fact, ".NET" has become so popular that even my employer is offering to pay for training for all of its developers to learn the ".NET" technologies. Not all of the market is doing this, mind you, like they did the Y2K projects.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New ".NET" training
I found out that the ".NET" training will be DEVDAYS 2001, I'll know about as much as ".NET" as the guys who wrote up the Powerpoint ".NET" slides in MS-Marketing. Joy!
     Is programming more resession-sensitive than other careers? - (tablizer) - (9)
         It is, but it shouldn't be. - (admin)
         Re: Is programming more resession-sensitive than other caree - (Arkadiy) - (3)
             Because The King of the Patato-People said so! - (orion)
             I really meant non-software companies - (tablizer) - (1)
                 IT is a cost center - (Arkadiy)
         Any form of consulting - (JayMehaffey)
         Last couple years not good indicator - (wharris2) - (2)
             Perhaps you could be right - (orion) - (1)
                 ".NET" training - (orion)

SHUT THAT BLOODY BOUZOUKI UP!
118 ms