IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not so much a move to linux
As convincing the idiot suits from above to not move us away from linux. One of the braindead ones from headquarters said "I don't think this can be a sustainable business model" talking about our use of linux on the boxen we send out to our customers. (Proprietary stuff developed out of the PLATO system, details upon request). My boss gave him the response "Seeing as we have had 30 percent annual growth for the last 4 years using this model, and have been profitable for the last 25 I'd say it is sustainable."

Suits just need to piss on something to get their smell on it so they can take credit later on for any success.

And no, the 25 years of profit is not a typo. It took us the first 5 years to get in and stay in the black. :-) We just may be the oldest application service provider in existence.
Don Richards,
Proud recipient of the ABBA.
New Do they realize the licensing issues?
You would be attempting to transfer license rights of a machine from yourselves to your customers.

IIRC, that is NOT ALLOWED under Microsoft rules of engagement. In which case, you would have to RAISE PRICES in order to make the change. If you couldn't RAISE PRICES to cover the INCREASED COSTS...you will make LESS PROFIT.

That should take care of the accountants...and put it in the hands of the lawyers...and tie it up in red tape for years.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New We still hold the license
The customers pay a fee for our product. The product includes a local machine using proprietary communications protocals for access to the master database and lesson repository at our location. The box we send them is still ours.
Don Richards,
New A good read...
...of the license of MS W2k Pro or XP Pro by the folks in your legal department really should be all it takes to resist the change.
Especially when you get into anonymous applications...then you need this...but if you use authentication services you need that times the number of users...etc...as an example...just a little [link|http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/pricing/icfaq.asp|FAQ].

Linux is a no brainer...unlimited users and freely distributable with NO license issues.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Thanks
Excellent points. I'll make sure the boss man gets this info.
Don Richards,
     Could use some help folks. - (Silverlock) - (18)
         Not more than a few days old. - (admin) - (3)
             Already sent him that one - (Silverlock)
             Intel: $200,000,000 saved with Linux - (kmself) - (1)
                 Yeowh! - (Silverlock)
         Licensing vs training - (boxley) - (2)
             Windows 2000 is on its way - (Silverlock) - (1)
                 Good luck! - (Brandioch)
         Re: Could use some help folks. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Thankee -NT - (Silverlock)
         Query - who is going to move to Linux? - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
             Not so much a move to linux - (Silverlock) - (4)
                 Do they realize the licensing issues? - (bepatient) - (3)
                     We still hold the license - (Silverlock) - (2)
                         A good read... - (bepatient) - (1)
                             Thanks - (Silverlock)
         From the most unexpected places - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Thanks for YAEOHLCSYMCTM - (Silverlock)
         Another story from Linuxuser.co.uk (via VARLinux) - (Another Scott)

I've never been so insulted in all my week!
93 ms