IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The Slow Cooker And Me: A Cautionary Tale
You're all aware of the culinary marvel that is the slow cooker, I'm sure.

For those who are not - it's a ceramic pot that sits on an electric element. As the name suggests, it's not for the man in a hurry, as it takes all day to do its slow-cooking thing. What I tend to do is make delicious stew in it - prep the night before, and switch on as I leave the house in the morning.

The very long cooking time means that even the cheapest cuts of meat become meltingly tender and there are fewer finer things than coming in from a long drag at the office to the aroma of gently simmering beef stew with pearl barley, leeks, onions, peppers ('capsicums' or 'bell peppers' to the colonials), swede, potato, tomatoes, etc.

Overall, it's one of the better contributions of the industrialised society to the quality of life around here.

So I did my usual Sunday evening chore - soften some onions, brown some braising steak, chop stuff up, toss into slow cooker, add herbs/salt/pepper/sweet paprika/L&P, leave note on fridge door saying SLOW COOKER.

We ate a grand meal on Monday evening the other week; Peter's Stew plus whole baby new potatoes and nice tender green broccoli. We didn't finish the stew, but I thought I would either freeze the remainder or take it to work for lunch.

That was 13 days ago.

Today, I looked in the slow cooker, thinking about making stew.

THE HORROR.

The sights! The smell!

It was furry. But not the usual grey-green furry, oh no.

This was brown furry.

And smelly. I decided that this couldn't go in the bin, to fester in the heat for the three days before the collection; it had to go down the toilet and be flushed as far away as possible as soon as possible.

Of course, it made a sound like someone vomiting, whilst smelling like the most unholy thing you can imagine, and looking brown and furry.

I can tell you now that it was a major triumph of willpower for me to hang on to lunch.

So, the moral is this: remember to clean up the slow cooker.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Another one you can try.
Leave some moist cooked pasta in a tightly covered pot in a warm place for a week. Skip lunch on opening day.

As for slow cookers, commonly called "crock pots" over here, I've got one but haven't used it for years - just not my style of cooking. I like to stir stuff and taste it.

On the other hand, I found it is the one and only way to cook octopus. Best octopus you will ever taste. Slice the cooked tentacles and marinade in an Italian olive oil and lemon juice dressing. Yum! Oh, Yum!

Maybe 25 years ago when I worked in an aerospace factory the office had a pot-luck lunch for Christmas or something. Workers there were quite conservative and I was considered a little weird, so I decided not to let them down.

I made the octopus (this was long before sushi bars got people used to eating creepy-crawleys). I was careful to let everyone in line know what it was and figured that way I'd have plenty left for a second helping.

Boy, was I wrong. It was wiped on the first pass. I mean Wiped! - not so much as a sucker disk left! Jeeeez Louise.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: swede.
That's a new one on me, the name that is.

No, Peter is not into cannibalism and CRC need not worry. It's a rutabaga!
Alex

Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost. -- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860), German philosopher
New Never worried; not new to me.
What might be news to you, though, is that this is probably the only word in English (that is, Transatlantic "English") that is a loan from the South-Swedish dialect of Skåne. Most ordinary Swedes probably wouldn't understand it either, that an ordinary kålrot (lit: "cabbage-root") was meant, if a skåning started talking about his rotabaga [sic] -- especially if he pronounced it approximately as "RRoutabahga", with the 'r' sounding something like a cross between a Scotsman horking up a gob of phlegm and a German having his throat ripped out by a pack of schnauzers, as it does in that horrible skånska tongue.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Thanks for the etymology of the word rutabaga! :)
Alex

"If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said." -- Alan Greenspan, Federal Reserve chairman
New Yeah cheers, I read this whilst eating my morning porridge:)
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
     The Slow Cooker And Me: A Cautionary Tale - (pwhysall) - (5)
         Another one you can try. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: swede. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Never worried; not new to me. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Thanks for the etymology of the word rutabaga! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Yeah cheers, I read this whilst eating my morning porridge:) -NT - (Meerkat)

This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.
78 ms