IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've used them all and it's very personal -- MY ratings
Well, not all the brands, but quite a variety of touchscreens, trackballs, pointer sticks, touchpads, graphics tablets, etc (I don't recall using a light pen, though). I'm not much into joysticks, especially for cursor movement!

Here are my ratings and comments:
Best overall pointing device -- Logitech mice. I've used a fair number of MS mice, too (including plain Intellimouse), but prefer Logitech's shape and performance. Mice are pretty decent in clean rooms, too. (Typing is clean rooms is fun, too -- I can actually sort of touch type if I wear tight gloves).

Best for intricate graphics manipulations -- Wacom graphics tablet; it's a lifesaver sometimes in Photoshop, but I don't like it as a general pointing device.

Trackballs -- best I've felt was a $100 CH industrial model with a huge ball (demo only unfortunately). I've used quite a few, including Logitech and Qtronix, but still much prefer the mouse. Their compact size can be handy, but using them in a clean room (gloves on) leaves a lot to be desired.

Pointer stick / touchpads -- these can really run the range; they can be better than cheesy trackballs (e.g. tiny Zenith laptop trackballs), but never as good as a mouse. On my old TI laptop, I didn't care for the pointer stick. On my old Compaq Armada, the touchpad was pretty good. On the current HP laptop, I prefer the pointer stick over the touchpad. On the Compaq / HP laptops the touch pad / pointer stick was very usable, but not as good as a good trackball or mouse.

Touchscreens -- great for doing "soft buttons" and stuff where you need to trigger actions but not enter a lot of data, e.g. often quite good for industrial equipment. Most work quite well in a clean room environment. Also works quite well with Palm. Using a fingertip they're no good for precise cursor movements.

Voice -- tried it with Warp 4, went back to keyboard and mouse.

Tony
Who was spent way too much time programming in clean rooms
New I can thank the 'Pointer Stick' for one thing...
...and that's for teaching me enough keyboard shortcuts in Windows so I never had to use the blasted thing.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New I prefer it to a touchpad though
     Microsoft keyboard - (wharris2) - (33)
         take off cover of old keyboard squirt with dish soap - (boxley) - (1)
             Wanted a backup keyboard anyway - (wharris2)
         Microsoft hardware... - (inthane-chan) - (30)
             Hardware... - (kmself)
             Now if only they'd put out a decent 3-button mouse - (wharris2) - (28)
                 The funny thing is... - (inthane-chan) - (26)
                     Re: The funny thing is... - (pwhysall) - (12)
                         Nope, because it ain't cordless - (tonytib) - (11)
                             Inevitable pitch for the perfect device.. - (Ashton) - (7)
                                 Meerkat goes 'Me Too!' - (Meerkat) - (3)
                                     I've used them all and it's very personal -- MY ratings - (tonytib) - (2)
                                         I can thank the 'Pointer Stick' for one thing... - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                             I prefer it to a touchpad though -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                 Inevitable shudder - (wharris2) - (2)
                                     Perhaps you have two thumbs on each hand?________________:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Heh. - (wharris2)
                             Wireless Explorer blows chunks. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                 Logitech wireless is good unless you really hide the xmitter - (tonytib) - (1)
                                     I use a wireless Logitech with my laptop - (cforde)
                     The topic that wouldn't die - (tseliot) - (12)
                         ..politics, religion, mice - what else IS there? -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Ash, Ash, Ash. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 Ah!____ I see______________uhHuh er jolly good - (Ashton)
                         Re: The topic that wouldn't die - (pwhysall) - (8)
                             That's why God invented hud_fastswitch :) -NT - (tseliot)
                             DEagle is the best backup. - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                                 The accuracy of the MP5 is now zero with advent of CS 1.3 :( -NT - (tseliot) - (1)
                                     Actually, I stopped using it during 1.2. - Go fig. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                 p228 ownz the Deagle. -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                     Really? - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                         I see yer Deagle. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             Funny... - (inthane-chan)
                 Logitech loveliness. - (static)

Let's get this party started...
71 ms