IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How about?
Just not buying stuff? Or buying local, instead of big company?

I'm not talking about groceries, but cars, and electronics, and computers, and clothes, and stuff.

I'm almost to the point that Americans need to do their duty and boycott Wal-Mart. We still have a "regional" grocery store in East Texas called Brookshires. Shop at Brookshires instead of Wal-Mart.

Buy from the local Pizza Guy (Amore's or Campizi's, here), and not from Domino's, Pizza Hut, or any other multi-national.

It gets harder when you get to cars, but you can pick the mom-and-pop dealership in Celina, TX instead of one of the AutoNation dealerships in Metro-Dallas.

Buy donuts from the Southern Maid, home owned franchise store instead of from Krispy Kreme.

And the list goes on. There are still choices, and these smaller merchants need our money much more than the big places.

Buy dinner from Ming Garden (mom and pop chinese), instead of Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill.

If everyone did this, and ignored the high budget TV ads, etc. Our local merchants would love us, and you would "stick it" to the big guys.

So, boycott WalMart, please try. And while your at it, avoid shopping with the major "multi-national" corporations.

Heck, there's even a local computer store here, called eXtreme Computers. Not too many of those left. They NEED our business.

Glen Austin
Expand Edited by gdaustin May 31, 2004, 10:17:02 PM EDT
Expand Edited by gdaustin May 31, 2004, 10:18:35 PM EDT
New They need one more thing...
they need money. These corporate guys all play well together When the productivity gains of the last 30 years are enjoyed by only a few, then the many have less - which allows a Wal-Mart to exist.
bcnu,
Mikem

If you can read this, you are not the President.
New The simple fact of the matter is
those huge behemoth companies get a 30% break on price over everybody else, simply for being big. There's some good reason for that, but as long as that goes on you're going to have the same kinds of problems you see now.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Re: Krispy Kreme.
Hey, Krispy Kreme is a North Carolina company! Winston-Salem to be specific.
Alex

Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost. -- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860), German philosopher
New OT: Alex, are you local NC? (new thread)
Created as new thread #158389 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=158389|OT: Alex, are you local NC?]
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Been doing that for years.
Interestingly enough, there are three locally owned and operated downtown computer retailers here that build their own systems. I always buy from them; I might spend a couple of hundred more, but I get to have fine grained control over what goes into the machine, and not a blank "huh" when I ask about more obscure hardware... and operating systems.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Re: Been doing that for years.
I also turn locals who ask me for advice on buying a computer - I tell them to go to one of the local shops instead of Dell. The big selling point is service - I ask them, "do you want to ship your computer back to Dell, out of your pocket, have them wipe all your data out, then tell you the problem is fixed, only to have it start again three days later, or take it to a local shop, wait half an hour, then take it home again?"

They generally go with the local shop.
Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
New I already boycott Walmart/SAMS
John can't stand the store and we never shop there. :)

Nightowl >8#

"AHHHHH! Relatives coming out of the woodwork!!!!!!"
     Working was fun.. - (deSitter) - (20)
         It'll be better ........... after the revolution. - (mmoffitt) - (19)
             How about? - (gdaustin) - (7)
                 They need one more thing... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     The simple fact of the matter is - (jake123)
                 Re: Krispy Kreme. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     OT: Alex, are you local NC? (new thread) - (jb4)
                 Been doing that for years. - (jake123) - (1)
                     Re: Been doing that for years. - (inthane-chan)
                 I already boycott Walmart/SAMS - (Nightowl)
             Re: It'll be better ........... after the revolution. - (JvlivsCaesar) - (10)
                 We could learn from the Greeks. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                     What was the name of that famous Greek Ruler - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                         Procrustes, I believe - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                             Sounds like a breakfast cereal... -NT - (imric)
                             But he wasn't a king - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Roight, *I* didn't vote for 'im! -NT - (admin)
                         The Original 'spreadsheet' -NT - (Ashton) - (3)
                             What? VisiCalc The Great, Emperor Of The Known World? -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Danicvs Briklinvs I [*] - (Ashton)
                                 "One size fits all" -NT - (ben_tilly)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
101 ms