IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dr did not diagnose "progressive myoclonic epilepsy"
Dr. heard the symptoms on the phone from my wife. Which pretty much match the description for "myoclonic seizures", at least in my reading, of which there are a variety of causes.

He told her to get him the Children's Hospital in Philly.

Barb just woke up and gave me more info.

They showed up, took one look at him, and took him back. They did a variety of point and touch tests, and the movements didn't happen then. They did blood work, which showed nothing. Dr. brought up the term "myoclonic seizures", and said it was NOT that due the fact of the type of movement. Phew.

He said the other types of physical causes could be electrolyte imbalance, but that would have shown up on the blood work.

During the interaction of the testing, they stopped. If they distrcted Ben enough, they stopped. When Ben was asleep, they stopped. The Dr. told Barb it was psychological. Barb told Ben to cut it out. It stopped.

Except in my reading, these type of symtoms come in waves of activity. They don't happen during sleep. They have a high rate of activity when the person 1st wakes up (which matched Ben waking up). Which means it could have been a coincidence that they stopped at that moment.

They did NOT do an EEG on him! SHIT!! This would be able to tell for sure if they were real seizures.
New Not to belittle the problems Barry, but...
When I was eleven, I faked a passout, repeatedly. Falling without catching myself. My MOM gave me the reaction I was looking for. She took me to the emergency room... I was not admitted.

I continued to have them, for a few days after until they admitted me for observation. It was a Miracle, soon as I was admitted and got the "Hospital" treatment. Man my Mom was pissed.

All this, because it was the "thing" to do to your parents to get back at them for being parents.

If this turns out to be in fact a real issue, then I have you and your son in my prayers.

If this turns out to be a ploy (which in all chances, it could be), I can help you come up with a potent punishment.

Let us hope it is a prank. Might be because of all the attention Sarah is getting lately (Negative though it may be), he might feel left out.

Good luck on it being a prank, and not the real thing.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

Give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute.
Set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
New I wish
He gets way more attention, at least from me. He's the fragile one with confirmed medical issue, operation, etc. He's also the one that always minimises pain so we will leave him alone. Remember, he walked around with a fully dislocated shoulder for a day before complaining about it. He doesn't like attention.

He's had these, off and on for a while now, no matter who's in the room, or if he is even alone. I've watched from 2 rooms away as he's watched TV. No one else. And when my kids are hypnotised by the tube, I'm sure they are not aware of me watching from 2 rooms away.

He has them at the movie (we saw Troy) last night. He was deeply engrossed in the fight seen. I was watching him.

In all of these cases, he never passed out. It is more like a ripple effect, starting mid-spine, ending at the the top of his head. Sometimes he'll shake his head or shoulders a small bit, afterward, sometime his eyes will bulge wide for a second. He describes it as a shiver that goes up his spine. The only time I ever do anything like that is if I've just had a strong shot of alchohol.

It seems to hit more when he is fully engrossed in something. TV, movie, book, music. For a while I through he was nodding his head to the music, then I realized it wasn't constant and it wasn't in tune. In those cases I was watching out of the corner of my eye when we were going someplace, that it the only time we typically listen to music together. A couple of days ago we were at a sushi restaurant, reading our books, waiting for food. It kicked in occasionally, but it seemed he never missed a beat while reading. I don't recall it ever happening while he was talking to me.
New sounds like stress
what else might be going on in his life? My uniformed opinion is that he is suppressing/not dealing with something and it's finding a way out. Is there someone he can talk to without triggering his defences?
Have fun,
Carl Forde
New I agree. And too late, defenses up
He had buried a QPS lab, hadn't turned it in. Note from the teacher written on Tuesday, but mailed Friday, showed up on Saturday. A missing lab == 'D', which would be BAD.

He claimed nothing missing, would resolve it all on Tuesday. Told us to drop it. NEVER!

I email the teacher. Her reponse was no lab was needed, he had turned it in on Friday, VERY LATE, but she was going to accept it since he was such a good student, typically.

So I grill him about it. He responds, "Oh, that?, That was some other homework I turned in. I didn't realize it was the IMPORTANT lab."

So I respond to the teacher, is this reasonable not to know? Also, anything else outstanding?

She replies: Not a chance, she had several meetings with him about it.

He then counters, "Yeah, so what. She's going to accept it so my grade is fine"

The good kid just got caught in a pattern of lying.
Damn.
At what point can I trust ever again?

While I'm not sure the twitches are cuased by the internal stress, it is a strong coincidence.
New Re: I wish
Hyperkineticism is a side-effect of "ice", the current drug of choice among youngsters.
-drl
New Ahh, "ice"
Freebase meth.

What happens when you screw up a hydrochloride bind.

Nahh. There are no drug signs at all. I can smell it.

Not that I didn't think about it. And pull apart his favorite vest, the one he wears all the time, carefully examining and sniffing every object in it.
New How old?
Is this kid "old enough" to have real stressors like peer pressure at school? Also, I've heard that way too much gaming time can stress kid's brains into doing "the twitch".

Maybe he's into something really intense, game wise? Doom/Quake used to do that to me.

New 15
New Definitely a Stressful Time
12,13,14 were the worst for me. Many people say it was "the age", but it wasn't. I desparately needed a "mentor", someone I could talk to during that time. Most of the people I was around didn't want to get involved. I wanted to die during those years. I hated myself. There were nights I threw myself against fences in fits of rage. I wanted to kill myself. I was worthless. During this time I was abused by the son of the pastor, and that drove my self esteem down even farther.

When I turned 15, my father took a job in a new town, and the change SAVED me.

When I moved to the new down, I had a very good church youth director/mentor during this time. And some very well grounded teenage friends, also part of the youth group. So, I explored, but not too far. And when I had hangups, I could talk with Paul, the youth director. I feel I owe this man SO MUCH, and that's why I am involved at my church, being a 3rd - 5th grade Lifegroup teacher. And the kids relate to me, and they can talk, and they have hangups. And I let them cutup some, and I bring them candy. But Paul talked to me on more than one occasion, late on Sunday night, to let me know that I was all right, just as a was. And for that, I'm truly grateful.

It probably saved my life. I know I'm a much better person because of Paul.

Now, back to your son. Does he have a person like this? A teacher, leader, someone he can "talk with"?

This is tricky but, you either need to "be that person", or find someone you trust who can. What I mean by that, is that 15 is a tough age, and he needs to be able to talk to someone. I would say that "being that person" means that you can't freak out if he tells you he smoked dope or screwed a girl last night. If you freak out, then you're not "his mentor", you're still the evil authority, in his mind.

I think there's truth in the Jewish tradition that at age 13 a boy becomes a man (And I'm a Christian, not a Jew). By 15, he's certainly getting there. What I mean by that is that he starts to become responsible for himself, for his actions. He needs someone to relate to, and if you're an authoritarian parent (or have the style), it may not be you. Are you starting to treat him as an adult? In 3 more years, he legally will be.

But, I think the condition may be stress related and he needs to talk with someone "he can trust". Can he "trust" you? That's for him to decide, not you, and that is very tough.

It's difficult, but it's a part of life. Having said all that, my oldest is still a month short of 9 years old. He's already trying "make his own" rules, so I can only imagine what he'll be like at 15. Thinking about it makes my brain hurt. But when the time comes, I've either got to "be his mentor", or put him into a context, an environment, where he can talk to someone I trust. At 15, all the work I'm trying to do now with him needs to start paying off, as he decides to be a responsible, productive person.

It sounds like your son is there. I think you've said "he's a good kid" before. Does he know that? You son did this school thing for some reason. Ask him and listen. Don't get mad, because it just shuts them down. He's got a reason. Maybe he didn't feel it was good enough, maybe he was ashamed. Can you get him to open up to you? Not as a trick, but honest and open communication.

Good Luck Barry.
Expand Edited by gdaustin May 31, 2004, 11:27:17 PM EDT
     Something new - (broomberg) - (33)
         :-( Sending hopeful thoughts your way. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Thoughts are with you and yours. -NT - (Yendor)
         Bleh. - (admin)
         Fingers crossed for you + family -NT - (Meerkat)
         Hmmm - not good, but ... - (dmarker)
         I'm sorry to hear that, wish Ben luck -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Ditto from here. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Sorry to hear that. - (inthane-chan)
         Thanks all - (broomberg) - (3)
             I think that's what it's here for. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                 What he said... - (slugbug)
                 Re: I think that's what it's here for. - (Nightowl)
         That must be awful. Good luck. -NT - (jake123)
         sigh - (cforde)
         - -NT - (imric)
         Not a "true" seizure - (broomberg) - (15)
             Hope you're feeling better when you wake up. - (CRConrad)
             Overdiagnosism - (deSitter) - (11)
                 Dr did not diagnose "progressive myoclonic epilepsy" - (broomberg) - (9)
                     Not to belittle the problems Barry, but... - (folkert) - (8)
                         I wish - (broomberg) - (7)
                             sounds like stress - (cforde) - (1)
                                 I agree. And too late, defenses up - (broomberg)
                             Re: I wish - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 Ahh, "ice" - (broomberg)
                             How old? - (gdaustin) - (2)
                                 15 -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                                     Definitely a Stressful Time - (gdaustin)
                 Standard of Practice - (gdaustin)
             Best wishes and ditto what Thane said -NT - (jbrabeck)
             Oh, man. That sucks. - (Silverlock)
         Hopefully something dealable, fingies xed -NT - (boxley)
         Man I'm glad I didn't see this until you found the answer - (drewk)

Take a good plane and shave off all the edges.
191 ms