IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: The Army is stretched indeed.
Don't know if you've seen this or not...

[link|http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_irs_051804,00.html|http://www.military....rs_051804,00.html]

Stretching a little more, perhaps?
New This is getting too close to home
From the first link
The Army is also considering plans to call up more reservists, including inactive reservists who don't drill or train regularly. And right now, the Army is having difficulty filling its professional schools, because so many officers and sergeants are deployed that it can't get them through the educational pipeline.

And from the second link
Unknown to most Americans, though, is the existence of the Individual Ready Reserve, which has more than 280,000 members.

The IRR is a distinctly different animal than the drilling reserves or National Guard.

Those in the IRR are people who have completed their active-duty tours but are subject to involuntary recall for a certain number of years. For example, a soldier who serves four years on active duty remains in the IRR for another four years.

I did my last few years serving in the Army Reserve at an Army Reserve School. During 1st GW a lot of our instructors were activated. Since I'm a trained instructor ...

What's mentioned in the above links is the IRR. What is not mentioned is that Retired Military are also subject to recall up until age? I know I have not hit that ? age yet, so if things keep going downhill, I may end up getting a notice. Being over weight and out of shape won't keep me out, but hearing loss and diabetes might. First time I've ever thought medical problems might be an asset. :-(

Draft notices ready yet?
New Well, I have to say this...
If you join the armed forces, you're signing a contract. Just because 15 years later (or whatever) that contract is inconvenient to you doesn't matter. You should have thought of that before joining the Army.

Having said that, perhaps this situation will convince all of the military people to stop voting for people that like to start wars.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Do you think of what will happen 35 years later
to an event that you do today?

The IRR commitment is very well defined and detailed. Even 35 years ago when I enlisted to avoid being drafted and sent to 'nam, I knew that I had a 6 (currently 8) year obligation. 3 Active Duty, 2 Active Reserve (1 weekend a month) and 1 IRR. And I knew that I could be recalled to AD any time.

What's not so readily disclosed is that your acceptance of a Military Retirement benefit made you eligible for recall at the needs of the service. You do 20 years of service and then during the retirement processing, are informed that you have the sword dangling over you for a number of years to come. IIRC til age 60/65.

That means that the 18 year old kid (or in my daugher's case, 17) who decided to enlist, then decided to become a lifer, really did just become a lifer, instead of a careerist - 20 to 30 years of service and then done. The "done" isn't over for an additional number of years.

Of course I do have the option of declining the pension (that I don't get until I'm 60/65 since I didn't do 20 years of active service, only 11 with the last 10 in the Active Reserve).

Name me one other place where you can go to work as a teen, and then at your retirement party get told that you "could" be called back at anytime.
New I didn't say that I would do it
But caveat emptor. You make a big decision like that, you should be aware of the consequences. Sorry, that's how it is. And military service isn't "a place to work". You're being trained to engage in military things, like blowing up buildings and killing people, in addition to basically signing away your rights while you're on active duty.

Again, if being called up again bothers you, 1) don't join in the first place, or 2) don't take the pension (what's your life worth to you?), or 3) don't vote for people who like to start wars.

I don't have much sympathy for people who join the military and then complain that they've joined the military, sorry. You've got a bigger beef than people today in that military duty back then could have been compulsory, though, for sure. Your daughter, though, didn't have that hanging over her.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Actually, I agree with you completely.
Like the soldier, Marine IIRC, who sued when ordered to active duty for GWI. Said he only signed up for the school benefit.

Or the soldier facing court-martial for deserting and attempting to file CO status.

You sign up, you perform the job. I remember on active duty fielding complaints about the soldier not getting the duty location of choice or the job of choice. In each case I asked if they had read paragraph g (iirc) of the contract which stated, paraphrased, "while every attempt will be made to give you the training of your choice and/or the duty station of your choice, you will be used at the needs of the Army."

I wasn't complaining or whining, at least I wasn't intending to do so, I was just stating that the proposed recall of the IRR was getting a little close. Next step would be either a draft or recall of the retirees. In either case, I am safe due to current medical conditions.

FWIW, after serving twenty years, I'd rather be risk the recall than forfeit the pension. (Decision is made when you "retire", not when faced with recall)

Now where's that First Sergeant/Master Sergeant rank icon when I need it. :-)
New Seems to me...
...that this would be an act of sheer desperation. After all, the Federal Guv'mint has gone to a lot of trouble to try to get people to believe that their tax records are private, and only used for the purposes of extracting (sometimes forcibly) their "fair share" of tributetaxes. Now, no one really believes this, of course, but it is one of the Fundamental Myths of our government.

Imagine the uproar, then, when the "administration" officially blows the cover of this Fundamental Myth. I strongly suspect that it would cause these fools a lot more trouble than they would otherwise expect, and from corners that they didn't expect (like, for example, real Conservatives).
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

The Army is stretched indeed. - (Arkadiy) - (7)
         Re: The Army is stretched indeed. - (dmcarls) - (6)
             This is getting too close to home - (jbrabeck) - (4)
                 Well, I have to say this... - (admin) - (3)
                     Do you think of what will happen 35 years later - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                         I didn't say that I would do it - (admin) - (1)
                             Actually, I agree with you completely. - (jbrabeck)
             Seems to me... - (jb4)

Only the choicest German spam!
59 ms