IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Applied 7.2 as an update to 7.1 - went fine

Grub (repl for LiLo) sure looks more prfessional & also helped explain to me why 7.0 & 7.1 acted differently re location of /boot (or / if you keep /boot in same filesystem as /)

The use of the LiLo param linear means using the older stye 24 bit addressinf & requires /boot to be below cyl 1024

the new grub defaults to the larger sector addressing mode & acts like RH 7.0 did.

Also took the opportunity to download 3 iso images for Mandrake 8 (my prior one was 7.2 & had lots of problems with it on my machines). Am going to try Mandrake 8.1 on Connectix VPC - RH 7.1 & 7.2 work very well on it. The docs with VPC say Mandrake 8 is their preferred Linux.
VPC is a very useful product.

Cheers

Doug Marker
That's encouraging. I want to do the same sometime. Is the file system changed to ext3 or is that done outside the installation?

Red Hat is only about 150 miles away from me but downloading the 4 CDs concurrently would take about 100 hours at the data rates I am seeing. I know, distance is not the major factor. They've got a busy site just now. I'll just wait for things to calm down. When I downloaded the RH 7.1 CDs from Red Hat some time ago, it happened over night in 8 hours or so.

Anyone know a fast mirror site?
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

Yes, it offers to convert each filesystem to the new format.

Cheers

Doug
New Super! Thanks for info.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Re: Also 4 interest, inst Mandrake8.1 under VPC on Win2000

Connectix VPC - so far I have installed the following ....

Mandrake 7.2
Mandrake 8.1

Redhat 7.1
Redhat 7.2 (as an upgrade to 7.1)
Redhat 7.2 as a clean install

They all went in ok & all seem to run ok - did the installs on my work notebook (Dell Lattitude 800Mhz PIII with 256MB Ram & 12GB disk)

Also am doing these same installs as native setups (except Mandrake 7.2 which always crashes during install on me on my server PCs - even though it works ok under VPC ?).

Cheers

Doug

VPC is a great way to test installs !
     Beware when selecting *.iso image of RH 7.2 from mirrors - (dmarker2) - (8)
         Re: Just confirming that the new downloaded image booted ok - (dmarker2) - (7)
             Or those that might have! -NT - (imric) - (1)
                 Re: Here is the write up (confusing) - (dmarker2)
             Re: Applied 7.2 as an update to 7.1 - went fine - (dmarker2) - (4)
                 Re: Applied 7.2 as an update to 7.1 - went fine - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     Re: Applied 7.2 as an update to 7.1 - went fine - (dmarker2) - (2)
                         Super! Thanks for info. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             Re: Also 4 interest, inst Mandrake8.1 under VPC on Win2000 - (dmarker2)

It's like Parkay: You think it's LRPD, but it's not.
68 ms