IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why is what's good for Cyprus not good for Israel?
[link|http://www.maarivintl.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article&articleID=6846|An international double standard]

"The UN and EU decided that there is no right of return for refugees and that the "new situation that has been created" must be considered. Why is what's good for Cyprus not good for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

A little background: Since Cyprus became independent in 1960, there has been tension between the Greek majority (80%) who are Orthodox Christians and the Muslim, Turkish minority that lives in the northern part of the island. In 1974, the Turkish army invaded the island to aid its Turkish "brothers". In 1983, the Turkish-Cypriots declared an independent state in the northern part of the island.
During negotiations for reunification, the Greeks demanded that all of the refugees and their descendents return to the Turkish section. Obviously, the Turks were opposed. When preparing their plan, the United Nations and European Union did not accept the Greeks\ufffd demand to allow the refugees to return!

The second provision related to Turkish \ufffdsettlers\ufffd and \ufffdsettlements\ufffd. After the invasion, the Turks brought farmers from Turkey and settled them in northern Cyprus. They settled there, built settlements, increased the number of Turks on the island and contributed to the agricultural economy of Turkish Cyprus. During the negotiations, the Greeks demanded that the Turkish \ufffdsettlers\ufffd return to Turkey. The Turks were opposed. The United Nations and European Union supported the Turkish position and left the \ufffdsettlers\ufffd and \ufffdsettlements\ufffd in place, despite the Greek demand.
The result is quite embarrassing. As of this week, the Turkish army occupies a significant portion of an EU\ufffds member state\ufffds territory. In recent years, it seems that European leaders cannot sleep well at night because of the "Israeli occupation". Does the "Turkish occupation" of one of their member countries also disturb their slumber?"
Expand Edited by bluke May 3, 2004, 07:53:38 AM EDT
New put 2 jews on the north end and watch the shyte fly
attempting to explain profiling doesn't require one to take a position for or against it any more than attempting to explain gravity requires one to be for or against gravity. Walter Williams
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New So how many millions of Jews were driven out of...
Palestinian lands to correspond to the Turks driven out of Southern Cyprus and how much land did they lose? Do you see something missing here? There has been an exchange of land and people on Cyprus. There has only been an immense land grab by the Israeli Jews in what was Palestine.

The situations don't correspond.
Alex

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
New 800 thousand Jews expelled from arab nations
attempting to explain profiling doesn't require one to take a position for or against it any more than attempting to explain gravity requires one to be for or against gravity. Walter Williams
New Palestine, I said.
Otherwise, does not match Cyprus situation. Did Greeks come to Cyprus from Turkey? Did Turks come to Cyprus from Greece? Bzzzt!

And in any case, expulsion of Jews came after attrocities against locals by Jews in Palestine. Before that, those same Jews were in those Arab countries for hundreds if not thousands of years. Besides, that was part of the Zionist plan to populate Palestine with Jews. Is that not obvious? :)
Alex

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
New what year were those atrocities?
of course you dont count any of the arab atrocities prior to 1948, why not? Because you have bought into the idea that jews dont belong there and must leave or turn their lives over to the arabs. You may continue to hope for that, I cannot change your mind.
thanx,
bill
New There is nothing wrong with Jews being there.
Some have been there as long as anyone. The others needed to have come to live in peace and not as conquerors to form a theocracy and ethnically cleanse and dispossess the natives. They had much to add to the local backward culture. Instead, they have matched, to the degree they can get away with it, the worst oppressors of Jews throughout history.

Not all Israeli Jews fit the mold I describe, just the majority.
Alex

New Many Arabs were not from Palestine
As Mark Twain and every other traveler in the region commented "...[a] desolate country whose soil is rich enough, but is given over wholly to weeds-a silent mournful expanse....A desolation is here that not even imagination can grace with the pomp of life and action....We never saw a human being on the whole route....There was hardly a tree or a shrub anywhere. Even the olive and the cactus, those fast friends of the worthless soil, had almost deserted the country."

Where were all those millions of Palestinian hiding? The answer is that they weren't there. They only migrated to Palestine after the Jews came and economic growth picked up. The fact is that there was a population transfer, 800,000 Jews fled Arab countries, 800,000 Arabs fled Palestine, end of story.

Even Yasir Arafat the quintessential Palestinian was born in Cairo. Arafat is no more a Palestinian then I am.
New And you were born where?
Alex

New New York, NY
Like I said neither one of us was born there
New Both of Arafat's parents were Palestinian.
But magically you have more rights there.
Alex

New If he went to palestine his rights would be snuffed
New Let me introduce you to some Jerusalem rock formations.
[link|http://www.noblesanctuary.com/|Dome of the Rock and Al-Aqsa Mosque]. Built in 685 CE (i.e. AD). Do you just suppose that might say something about who lived here?
Alex

New I got yer rock formations right here
[link|http://www.bibleplaces.com/holysepulcher.htm|http://www.bibleplac...holysepulcher.htm]
built in 330 AD, so who lives here again? Dont mix race and religion.
thanx,
bill
New So you agree Jerusalem should be an international city ...
as originally intended by the UN. Works for me.
Alex

New always have agreed that it should be international
With it being the capitol of Israel and Palestine run by a religious council of all the faiths and either ghurkas or Sihks providing security much like the swiss provide vatican security.
thanx,
bill
New That's a winner. I'd pick the Ghurkas.
Alex

New both are warriors with no dogs in that fight
New Love their pickles....
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

Why is what's good for Cyprus not good for Israel? - (bluke) - (18)
         put 2 jews on the north end and watch the shyte fly -NT - (boxley)
         So how many millions of Jews were driven out of... - (a6l6e6x) - (16)
             800 thousand Jews expelled from arab nations -NT - (boxley) - (15)
                 Palestine, I said. - (a6l6e6x) - (14)
                     what year were those atrocities? - (boxley) - (1)
                         There is nothing wrong with Jews being there. - (a6l6e6x)
                     Many Arabs were not from Palestine - (bluke) - (11)
                         And you were born where? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                             New York, NY - (bluke) - (2)
                                 Both of Arafat's parents were Palestinian. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     If he went to palestine his rights would be snuffed -NT - (boxley)
                         Let me introduce you to some Jerusalem rock formations. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                             I got yer rock formations right here - (boxley) - (5)
                                 So you agree Jerusalem should be an international city ... - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                                     always have agreed that it should be international - (boxley) - (3)
                                         That's a winner. I'd pick the Ghurkas. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                             both are warriors with no dogs in that fight -NT - (boxley)
                                             Love their pickles.... -NT - (jb4)