IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My employer
has been feeling me out for a permanent position.

I like where I work.

I like the people I work with.

I like the area.

-------------------

I miss my friends.

I miss my family.

They haven't made a specific offer. They've mentioned moving expenses and a year trial, moving me back if necessary.

-------------------

There's a possibility of my getting more work as a contractor through the vendor of the software I've been working with.

They've made vague suggestions of keeping me on 'retainer' a week out of the month if I don't accept.

I'd like to keep working for myself, but I fear this economy;I don't like being poor.

--------------------

I'd really appreciate any input you guys can give...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New depends what you prefer
is there enough local types that you could associate with? Do you need tips on where the local sleazys are so you would feel more comfortable? Nice to be appreciated in a position. Relocating isnt ever easy.
thanx,
bill
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Aside from my cow-workers
Redneck bars; they get old after a while.

I haven't been to the local hotspots yet, can't judge.

I have about zero social life here, but the people I have interacted with seem, in general, nicer than those in the Northeast...

And yes, it IS nice to be appreciated - the overwhelming depression I was feelin back in 'Jersey HAS faded...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New dont forget weekend after next
Georgia Renaissance Festival
April 17 - June 6, 2004 - 6655 Virlyn B Smith Rd - near the Atlanta Airport

Enter through the `castle gates'... and spend the entire day in merry old England. Shop the 15-acre Artists\ufffd Marketplace featuring thousands of Handcrafted Wares. You'll be thrilled and amazed as jugglers, minstrels, acrobats, and jousting knights fill 12 Stages with fun entertainment.

With Atlanta's mild Spring Days... it's the perfect time to spend an entire weekend filled with merrymaking, feasting and shopping. Georgia Renaissance Festival hours are: 10:30 AM - 6 PM Saturdays & Sundays, including Memorial Day.

Coveniently located to all of Atlanta... the Georgia Renaissance Festival is only 8 miles to the south of Hartsfield Airport on I-85 ... take Exit-61.

thanx,
bill
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
New Money to live on is good.
The economy won't last forever... you can always move back when you're on solid ground.

Especially if there are opportunities at this job to learn new skills. That's invaluable.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Mostly
it's existing knowledge - but the practice hase been invaluable. Neurons that haven't fired in a long time have been restarted - and THAT has been good.

Imric's Tips for Living

New Matter of perception
How long is permanent? Other than my time in the Army, my permanent positions have lasted from 2-4 years, and my contract gigs have lasted from 6 months - 4 years.

I now look at all positions as temporary and plan accordingly. If the position requires that I become an employee, then I have one "rate". If I'm paying my own benefits, then I have another "rate".

My only suggestion is, don't burn any bridges with the software vendor. If possible, new employer accepts, offer to still provide support with the software vendor on the side. Use vacation "hours" if necessary. That way, if the "permanent" position doesn't work out, you have a fallback position.

Good luck.
New Dude.
Flights are cheap.

If the perm is at anywhere near the level of the contract...this is a no brainer.

I know there are other circumstances that could affect that decision...but ferchrissakes be selfish...Benefits, salary, stability...these are things that would be nice for a change.

And I know the "bad guys" are gone...but do you want to put your fate back in the hands of "the drinkers" ;-)

Worst case scenario, you know you can live at near zero...so find cheap living down there...pound it out a couple years...get the skills polished, use tuition reimbursement to get some new skillz and jump back out....you'll have some savings to fall back on.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New What Beep said!
To boot he knows you better, too!
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

"I told my doctor that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous, everyone hasn't met me yet." -Rodney Dangerfield
New What percent
of my current pay would you accept?

Imric's Tips for Living

New For the employer...
...they'll view your fringes as costing them 30%...so they'll try and drop your rate when they add benefits and vacation.

However, you should be able to get some play from you having to move. This always creates additional expenses over and above what they will pay.

If you could get them within 15-20% of your bill rate (not counting the travel expenses) you'll be doing well. (and you can go to the doctor and stuff :-)

All that reasonableness aside. --->If they like you, and they see enough value to want to extend you to permanent. They may be willing to bite the bullet and overpay. You are a known commodity to them and that is worth $$$.

Don't be bashful when negotiating. They know what your making now. You only have to reinforce that with that statement being out in the open.

Plus, do your value equation. How much have you >saved< them in reduced fees to "the drinkers". How much can you continue to save them. Make sure they know this as well (though I'm sure they do...which is why the perm position is likley being created in the first place.)

You can become mission critical to this company. Companies have a tendency to pay mission critical well.

My sister is down there...so I have a place to stay if you get a place thats really small ;-)
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New well depending on your current wage
and how much markup was put on it you should make close to what you are now. I took a $500 annual hit on wages but of course make better due to reduced health care costs and parking monies. If you get close plus moving costs that would be a decent deal.
thanx,.
bill
New My 2.
I became a wage-slave last year after five years of independence. I'm still adjusting. What I'd say is:

1) If you really love what you're doing, stay independent.
2) If you're doing what you're doing just to pay the rent, become an employee.

HTH.
New The key question is:
How can you get health insurance, and (more to the point0 how much will it cost)?

If health insurance is being provided by a spouse through her (I assume you are male and would be married to a female if left to your own devices...I apologize if either assumption is false) job, then stay independent.

If you have to pay for it out of your business, punt until something resembling sanity returns the the insurance bizniss...and don't hold your breath....
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Re: My employer
My recommendation would be to take the 'permanent' job. A bird in the bush and all that. But you need to speak to your partner. How difficult would it be for her to move out to you?
qts
     My employer - (imric) - (14)
         depends what you prefer - (boxley) - (2)
             Aside from my cow-workers - (imric) - (1)
                 dont forget weekend after next - (boxley)
         Money to live on is good. - (admin) - (2)
             Mostly - (imric) - (1)
                 Matter of perception - (jbrabeck)
         Dude. - (bepatient) - (4)
             What Beep said! - (folkert)
             What percent - (imric) - (2)
                 For the employer... - (bepatient) - (1)
                     well depending on your current wage - (boxley)
         My 2. - (Lefty)
         The key question is: - (jb4)
         Re: My employer - (qstephens)

Our job is to take as much of the beer flavor out of the water as we can without getting a customer revolt.
125 ms