IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes, by God, let's make sure we're all properly stamped.
Maybe we could all start sewing different colored patches on the outside of our clothes. You know something that could be used to easily identify us. Like a Star means "believes in freedom - not to be trusted", etc.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New and let the riff raff sozialist authors in?
wouldnt the islamicides object to travelling in such company?
thanx,
bill
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New This may not be for you, but ...
How many times has someone bitched about the laxity of the H1B visa program? Here is someone who was clearly entering under conditions that would seem to require one, and now people are upset at it being enforced.

Granted, there is a difference between a "typical" H1B, which supposes a lack of qualified local talent; and this case, where it was the specific individual that was required. But is there an exception in the law for that?

Given that I prefer enforcement of existing law to passing ever more draconian laws (which will then also be selectively enfoced), if the law as written says that someone coming here to earn money needs an H1B visa then this author should have had one.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New I hadn't looked at it that way
drewk:
if the law as written says that someone coming here to earn money needs an H1B visa then this author should have had one.
I confess that I never gave a thought to the scores of American novelists this pommy bastard is displacing on the so-called "lecture circuit." That hall could have been filled instead with fans of, ah, John Grisham, or...uh, Danielle Steele, or maybe some dude who does serious littrachur, like, you know, whatsisname, the DaVinci Code guy. Instead, this McEwan character snags the swag, further worsening our already dire trade deficit. Come to that, maybe we need to put some limits on the number of foreign-authored novels we allow to be published here—at the very least, any non-citizen author with books in print stateside should be required to have an H1B before entry, in case any of his work earns royalties for him during his stay. We can't be too careful.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New [sigh] I knew the disclaimer wouldn't matter
You know, the part where I said:
Granted, there is a difference between a "typical" H1B, which supposes a lack of qualified local talent; and this case, where it was the specific individual that was required.
And did you also read my explanation for why I still think it's a good idea to enforce the laws as written? That was the next paragraph:
Given that I prefer enforcement of existing law to passing ever more draconian laws (which will then also be selectively enfoced) ...
I'll spell it out, since you either didn't get it or chose to miss it:
  • We already have laws which, if enforced, may have prevented some of the 9/11 hijackers from being herre.
  • Instead of promising to enforce the laws already on the books, our government has decided to pass a whole new raft of invasive laws that would not have had any effect even had they been in place and enforced.
  • If we're going to start enforcing existing laws, we have to enforce them as written, otherwise they're meaningless.
  • If the visa laws say that anyone coming here to work is supposed to have an H1B, and there is no exception in the law for individual authors/journalists, then this should be standard practice for anyone coming to lecture here.
If the law had not been enforced in the past, and now is being enforced, then the behavior of the border guards was exactly appropriate. And after contacting people with the pull to get the visa through quickly, he was let in. And the next time he comes he'll apply for the visa sooner. What's the problem?
===

New your as bad as me I wont drink california wines either
but for books there is a few authors out there.
literature
Try American Gods [link|http://www.neilgaiman.com/about/bio.asp|http://www.neilgaiman.com/about/bio.asp]
Tietam Brown excerpt at [link|http://www.wnyc.org/books/17964|http://www.wnyc.org/books/17964]

Craftsmen
James Lee Burke White Doves at Morning
Peter Bowen Thunder Horse
Andrew Vache Blossom

have you tried any of the above?
thanx,
bill

"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New This does NOT involve H1-B visas, but the B-1
A different beast entirely. It is a short-term visa for those coming to do business in the US. B-1 holders are either self-employed abroad (as in this case), or work for foreign companies doing business in the US.
New Thanks, missed that. Does it change my point though?
===

New No contest to the law enforcement bit
The visa waiver program very cleary prohibits what he intended to do, so this was entirely his own fault and immigration was entirely correct.

But given the flammable nature of any post that mentions H1-B around here I thought it important to point out those were not involved. Plus, as we're usually fairly quick to lambaste others (as in "the world beyond Iwethey) for factual errors...
New There are many more work type visas than H1B
For example, if I were to end up working in the US, it probably wouldn't be under H1B.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Where's the like-kind...
...smart-ass response below to the guy saying the exact same thing? albeit with more words.

You'ld have been screaming bloody murder about "this administrations failures" had it been, say, an author lecturing about border security being let through without the proper paperwork and arriving saying "they didn't enforce the laws".

Instead, its some fu-fu intellectual type who got his feathers ruffled...RIGHTLY. (Actually, haven't read McEwen so I don't know...but it sounded good ;-))

I'll save the red patch just for you :-)
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I had to look twice.
You'ld have been screaming bloody murder about "this administrations failures" had it been, say, an author lecturing about border security being let through without the proper paperwork and arriving saying "they didn't enforce the laws".

I saw the ;-) just before I went nuke.
     US Customs: new and improved - (rcareaga) - (45)
         So you're saying he HAD the correct visa? -NT - (FuManChu) - (13)
             Unfortunately, - (bepatient) - (12)
                 Yes, by God, let's make sure we're all properly stamped. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                     and let the riff raff sozialist authors in? - (boxley)
                     This may not be for you, but ... - (drewk) - (7)
                         I hadn't looked at it that way - (rcareaga) - (2)
                             [sigh] I knew the disclaimer wouldn't matter - (drewk)
                             your as bad as me I wont drink california wines either - (boxley)
                         This does NOT involve H1-B visas, but the B-1 - (scoenye) - (2)
                             Thanks, missed that. Does it change my point though? -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                 No contest to the law enforcement bit - (scoenye)
                         There are many more work type visas than H1B - (jake123)
                     Where's the like-kind... - (bepatient) - (1)
                         I had to look twice. - (mmoffitt)
         Damn straight. - (pwhysall) - (29)
             Driving on the Left - dead giveaway. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Oi! :-) -NT - (Meerkat)
             /s/f/t :-) also larn yersel football heathen -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 I already know football, pagan. - (pwhysall)
             Trust noone. - (bepatient) - (23)
                 Their job - (rcareaga) - (13)
                     Does this, then, - (bepatient)
                     I'll respond to this piece of silliness here - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                         silly is as silly does - (rcareaga) - (9)
                             "Both" - (Another Scott)
                             Should the novel aspect fail risibility tests amidst pursang - (Ashton)
                             And this makes you feel superior? - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                 Let us now braise famous men - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     One mans literature is another mans asswipe - (boxley)
                                     I didn't actually call it elite - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         fapfapfapfap " I have more reliable ways to entertain myself -NT - (boxley)
                                 Re: And this makes you feel superior? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     I'm reacting in part to the tone of the article - (ben_tilly)
                     Well, shoot. Half the people really *are* below average. - (FuManChu)
                 You'll be fingerprinting all the Americans, then? - (pwhysall) - (8)
                     Most Americans already are finger printed - (boxley) - (3)
                         If what you say is true... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             Aye. -NT - (imric)
                             Fingerprinted for driver's license in Georgia. - (Silverlock)
                     If they had their way - (bepatient) - (3)
                         Your point? -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             To annoy you with reality, maybe? -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 If that's your intention - (pwhysall)
             And let's not forget... (new thread) - (Yendor)
         You know what, I somewhat agree with you - (orion)

If this chat room were a game, it would be "half-life".
164 ms