IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Have you prefixed the two chans more than 5 apart ?

Each bow will operate on its own channel - less than five apart incurs a slight overlap of frequecies.

Doug M
New I didn't change any channels.
Could you elaborate? All of my wireless stuff is on the default channel (6?).

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Wi Fi Channels
On the A/P you can nominate which channel the A/P broadcasts on. The adapters in your computers tune in to that frequency.

802.11b has 11 (& boxes that are 802.11g & backward compatible to b do same)
<<
#3 according to D-Link website, 802.11g uses 12 chans & these get bonded in pairs (thus down to 6 channels) when used for high-speed comms (54mbs & 108mbs)
My current 802.11g/b is a Netgear WGR614 that can do 54mbs & have ordered a D-Link 802.11g/b that can do 108mbs, also have a few 802.11a units that can do 108mbs)
>>

The frequecies of these channels vary between world regions so each modern A/P allows you to set the region & if you want, the base channel to operate on. Each channel frequency is only slightly different from the one below it and they overlap. Most 802.11b will use channel 11 by default 802.11g will channel 3 by default. These are well apart.

If (as we do at work) you have multiple A/P units and want roaming, then to prevent adjacent A/P interference we stagger the base channel choice in the A/Ps so that adjacent A/Ps are 5 channels apart. This provides minimal interference as our workers roam the warehouses with their 802.11b units.

The only other point (that am sure you know) is that at 2.4Ghz, the 802.11b & g units are vulnerable to interference from wireless mice, keyboards, bluetooth & many microwave ovens.

Doug

PS 802.11a has 13 channels & will get at least 11 more.

High speed WiFi is achieved by using two channels concurrently (e.g. 108 Mbs). Both the A/P & the adapter need to support the mechanism for using the 2 chans & this tends to vary among brands.

#2 #3 #4 minor corrections additions
Expand Edited by dmarker March 24, 2004, 05:41:57 PM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker March 24, 2004, 05:50:54 PM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker March 24, 2004, 06:01:04 PM EST
New Thanks.
When I get some time I'll try playing with the channels on the APs and see if that improves the wireless coverage.

The only other point (that am sure you know) is that at 2.4Ghz, the 802.11b & g units are vulnerable to interference from wireless mice, keyboards, bluetooth & many microwave ovens.

I "discovered" that a few months ago with our Powerbook G4. We had a 2 GHz cordless telephone in the same room and I'd always lose the network connection when it was used... I considered replacing it with a 5.x GHz phone but, IIRC, there's some potential for interference with them as well. I ended up getting a 900 MHz phone and the problems went away.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Q: Extending a WiFi network in the house? - (Another Scott) - (7)
         Found a work-around that seems OK. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Does work with Xandros, and DHCP works too. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Thanks for the update! I was clueless but interested. :) -NT - (FuManChu)
             Have you prefixed the two chans more than 5 apart ? - (dmarker) - (3)
                 I didn't change any channels. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Wi Fi Channels - (dmarker) - (1)
                         Thanks. - (Another Scott)

When you're as high-strung as I am, you should be paid to keep smoking.
184 ms