IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Q: Extending a WiFi network in the house?
Hi,

I've got cable internet service feeding a 802.11b wireless network, as described [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=137017|here].

I'd like to extend wireless coverage (increase the signal strength) to the other end of the house. I added a DLink DWL-900AP+ and it seems to be hooked up fine. They're on the same network segment and the configuration seems to be correct. It's configured as a WAP.

The 900AP+ is in our office near the center of the house, sitting on top of a DLink switch and is topped by the DWL-810+ that serves as the wireless bridge to the Linksys BEFW11S4 WAP/Switch that is connected at the cable modem end.

My understanding of these things is that if you want to be able to drag your machine from place to place and have continuous connections, then the "SSID" configuration string for each WAP should be the same. However, when I set the 900AP+ to be "linksys" like the 810+, I can't connect to either with my T41 laptop (running WinXP Pro).

Putting the WAPs in different places isn't really an option.

My questions:
1) Is there a FAQ that addresses these issues? I haven't found a decent one.
2) Why doesn't setting the WAPs to the same SSID seem to work as I expect? Is it just Windows flakiness or is that not the way it's supposed to work?
3) Do I have the hardware I need to do what I want? Do I need to operate the 900AP+ in "Repeater" mode (which seems to imply I need to buy a "D-Link AirPlus DWL-900AP+, DI-614+, DI-714P+, AirPro DI-764, DI-754 (with inserted
DWL-650+), or AirPremier DWL-1000AP+".
4) Any other pointers?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott
New Found a work-around that seems OK.
The SSID does need to be the same for every AP or machine on the same wireless network. I guess I was having problems because the two wireless boxes were too close to each other.

The 900AP+ has a "Wireless Client" mode. There's a "Site Survey" button that will sniff out available wireless MAC addresses.

Since DHCP only works if the PC can find a DHCP server, I set a static IP address on my T41 laptop and entered the DNS numbers.

While I was on the other end of the house, I hooked up the 900AP+ to the Ethernet port on my T41 and had it sniff for wireless MAC addresses. It found one so I selected "Wireless Client" mode. It works - it finds the wireless network and then the Internet. It seems like the connection is stronger than simply using the wireless built into the laptop, but there's no signal strength indicator in this arrangement. :-(

Thus, I can have an Internet connection using our PowerBook or T41 by simply plugging into the 900AP+. No additional hardware is required. To make a true wireless connection I'll need a Repeater that is compatible with an AP (so I'd need a different AP to work with the 900AP+).

The real benefit is this arrangement should also let me do pseudo-wireless work with [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=146030|Xandros].

Yay! No more wireless purchases needed for a while! :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Does work with Xandros, and DHCP works too.
New Thanks for the update! I was clueless but interested. :)
New Have you prefixed the two chans more than 5 apart ?

Each bow will operate on its own channel - less than five apart incurs a slight overlap of frequecies.

Doug M
New I didn't change any channels.
Could you elaborate? All of my wireless stuff is on the default channel (6?).

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Wi Fi Channels
On the A/P you can nominate which channel the A/P broadcasts on. The adapters in your computers tune in to that frequency.

802.11b has 11 (& boxes that are 802.11g & backward compatible to b do same)
<<
#3 according to D-Link website, 802.11g uses 12 chans & these get bonded in pairs (thus down to 6 channels) when used for high-speed comms (54mbs & 108mbs)
My current 802.11g/b is a Netgear WGR614 that can do 54mbs & have ordered a D-Link 802.11g/b that can do 108mbs, also have a few 802.11a units that can do 108mbs)
>>

The frequecies of these channels vary between world regions so each modern A/P allows you to set the region & if you want, the base channel to operate on. Each channel frequency is only slightly different from the one below it and they overlap. Most 802.11b will use channel 11 by default 802.11g will channel 3 by default. These are well apart.

If (as we do at work) you have multiple A/P units and want roaming, then to prevent adjacent A/P interference we stagger the base channel choice in the A/Ps so that adjacent A/Ps are 5 channels apart. This provides minimal interference as our workers roam the warehouses with their 802.11b units.

The only other point (that am sure you know) is that at 2.4Ghz, the 802.11b & g units are vulnerable to interference from wireless mice, keyboards, bluetooth & many microwave ovens.

Doug

PS 802.11a has 13 channels & will get at least 11 more.

High speed WiFi is achieved by using two channels concurrently (e.g. 108 Mbs). Both the A/P & the adapter need to support the mechanism for using the 2 chans & this tends to vary among brands.

#2 #3 #4 minor corrections additions
Expand Edited by dmarker March 24, 2004, 05:41:57 PM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker March 24, 2004, 05:50:54 PM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker March 24, 2004, 06:01:04 PM EST
New Thanks.
When I get some time I'll try playing with the channels on the APs and see if that improves the wireless coverage.

The only other point (that am sure you know) is that at 2.4Ghz, the 802.11b & g units are vulnerable to interference from wireless mice, keyboards, bluetooth & many microwave ovens.

I "discovered" that a few months ago with our Powerbook G4. We had a 2 GHz cordless telephone in the same room and I'd always lose the network connection when it was used... I considered replacing it with a 5.x GHz phone but, IIRC, there's some potential for interference with them as well. I ended up getting a 900 MHz phone and the problems went away.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Q: Extending a WiFi network in the house? - (Another Scott) - (7)
         Found a work-around that seems OK. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Does work with Xandros, and DHCP works too. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Thanks for the update! I was clueless but interested. :) -NT - (FuManChu)
             Have you prefixed the two chans more than 5 apart ? - (dmarker) - (3)
                 I didn't change any channels. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Wi Fi Channels - (dmarker) - (1)
                         Thanks. - (Another Scott)

Besides, we all have spell check these days, right?
221 ms