IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fear of a Red Hat
Now Red Hat 7.1 is doing the same thing. No "Fixed" font. It had been working for a while, and now out of the blue it gives me that error? I did a reformat from Mandrake to Red Hat, so nothing remained. Now my X won't start up! Also XFS failed on bootup. Any relation?

Should I switch to Darwin? If Apple doesn't keep hanging on the last block of the FTP download of the ISO image I may have already installed Darwin on the box! Grrrr! I am using GetRight now, if that don't do it I am giving up on trying Darwin!

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New "Nothing changed and now it's not working"
You know and I know that the above statement just ain't true :)

In order to diagnose your problem, we need quite a bit of information; exact distro used, contents of /etc/X11/fs/config, fonts section of /etc/X11/XF86Config...

Generally you don't need a font server these days unless you know you need a font server. If you can't think why you'd want one, you don't need one.

Red Hat 7.1 ships with XFree86 version 4.mumble, which is quite capable of serving all the kinds of fonts (T1, TTF, Speedo, etc) by itself. I turn xfs off.

Step one. Please show me the section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config with the FontPath entries.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Font botches
As I said last time you posted with this problem (and as Pete seems insistant on not believing), there've been some relatively persistant problems with fonts with the migration to XFree86 v4, spanning several distros.

I'd suggest checking your X error logs. These go under /var/log/XFree86* in Debian, not sure w/ RH, you're an adult, look for 'em. You can also run X from the command line and pipe stdout/stderr to a file for examination.

There are a number of issues which seem to go to addressing this. I'd suggest poking around the debian-user list at [link|http://www.debian.org/|debian.org] (follow links to mailing lists). I found that part of the problem was that the font aliased as 'fixed' didn't exist.

Under Debian, several tricks have been found to work, including a forced reinstall of fonts, checking available fonts, rejiggering order of font paths in /etc/X11/XFree86-4, and a few other things. Mileage seems to vary considerably.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
     Mandrake Linux, X problem? - (orion) - (10)
         Common problem - (kmself)
         Re: Mandrake Linux, X problem? - (Mitridatus)
         These are the "misc" fonts - (scoenye)
         I switched to Red hat 7.1 - (orion) - (6)
             Re: I switched to Red hat 7.1 - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 And they finally made X optional. - (static)
                 SuSE 7x - (deSitter)
                 Fear of a Red Hat - (orion) - (2)
                     "Nothing changed and now it's not working" - (pwhysall)
                     Font botches - (kmself)

Houston, we have a problem.
89 ms